Fernando: Please Let Us Know If You're Okay

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Fernando: Please Let Us Know If You're Okay

Post by moira finnie »

Nando, our friend,
Thank you a thousand times for taking the time to let all your friends here know that you and yours are well. We will be thinking of you and all the people who awoke to this turmoil this morning.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

A small thing in the wake of our friend's well-being, perhaps, but NOW MSN is streaming a code-red banner about the "devastating quake in Chile".
Breaking News, indeed!
Reckon they had to wait until they were done airing their more important newsbytes about the world's tallest cat, Britney Murphy's autopsy report, who got booted off "American Idol", Ohno's eighth Olympic medal, third-round apologies from Toyota, and a political analyst's critique of McCain's lip-off to Obama.
Sure glad we got our priorities straight!
Got me a feeling I'm gonna be shoppin' around for a new homepage! :?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Nando:

This is the one thing wrong with watching a DVD, news like this doesn't show up on the 'Special Report' notices. So glad you and yours are all okay. Be careful and keep us informed.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

So relieved to here you are okay and your friends and family. Please, if there is anything we can do, anything you need, ask!
Donna
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I am glad to know you are your wife are okay, feaito, and that damage to your home has been minimal, other than the loss of the antiques. I've traveled in your country once, in 1998, including Easter Island, and it is such a beautiful place -- I loved it. I'm concerned too for potential damage to Easter Island by the tsunami, but since the moai have survived so long I suppose they can survive this tsunami too.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Dear Fernando,

I just sent you an email, I've been unable to get to my computer and was itching to get online to make sure you were safe. I'm so glad you are. It sounds terribly frightening though. My thouhts and prayers for all the victims and people who've lost their homes or loved ones. Take care.

Alison
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

The kids are now in bed and we have the news on, that's what brings it home, when you can see the footage. Chile looks like a country that's made provision for earthquakes but still there is great devastation. Now there are warnings from Austrailia to Japan to Hawaii because there is a tsunami on it's way.

We're thinking of you Fernando, even the kids have made the connection between Chile and Fernando who talks to Mum and sometimes Joe on skype. Libby has gone saying her prayers.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Having lived through my share of earthquakes, I'm delighted -- if astounded -- that Fernando was able to update us. I came here to ask if anyone had heard if he was okay, but it never occurred to me that he could log-on and report himself. An 8.8 is HUGE. When San Francisco had their 7.2, many were without power for a week. So I'm thankful to hear that Fernando is well and was able to update us. As aftershocks continue, I'll continue my prayers for the safety of Fernando and his family.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Fernando =
Thanks for taking the time to let us all know - my prayers are with you and yours. Please stay safe in traveling about and helping others, because knowing you, that's where you'll be.
God bless,
Birdy
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

feaito--thanks for posting to us here! I am so happy to hear that you and your family are safe.
charliechaplinfan

I've spoken to Fernando via skype this afternoon, I was able to see via his webcam that he is fine. He and his wife sure are braver than I would have been. I can't believe after seeing the footage on the TV that I could speak with him.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thanks for the update, Alison. I also watched the devastation in Chile and my heart goes out to its people.
Good to know that Fernando and his family are holding firm. Thank God.
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks my friends for all your concern. It's been quite a traumatic weekend for most of the country. The scope of the quake was very wide, it involved the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Regions (Chile is divided in Regions) and the Metropolitan Area were Santiago is located. The quake was rated 8,8 in the Richter scale. The epicentre was in Cobquecura a rural town in the 7th Region, which was devastated. In Santiago the quake was rated 8 in Richter's scale. From 8 onwards it's above the range of a major earthquake an reches the category of cataclism. The number of dead people has amounted to over 700 by now. Many people were ending their vacations this weekend, so all this caused a chaos because many are having problems to return to their homes. The airport has been receiving some international flights today and apparently it'll be completely working again around tuesday or wednesday. I have to go to sleep soon because tomorrow I have to go to my office, which suffered some damages (cracked walls, broken windows or crystal panels, etc.). I work on the 9th floor which suffered more damages than all the other floors of my company's building. Many historical sites (churches, museums, Old Theatres, Opera House, National Library, Old Palaces et al have been damaged or badly damaged...in the south of Chile many sites have been comletely lost). There was a terrible tsunami in the 8th Region that wiped away certain beaches and towns near the sea. Really terrible. There has been some looting and chaos in some places. Most of us, that still have our building standing up, will have to obtain reports on the state of the constructions, repair the inside of our apartments, etc. Tomorrow I'll have to go by subway to my work as usual. Hope everything will be OK. In many cities and certain ares of this city, people still do'nt have water, power, gas and or supplies. I'm lucky. I have everything I need. Best, Fernando
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I guess I have to take honors for being the most thoughtless of people around. It's amazing to me how knowing someone, like Fernando, makes a tragedy like the Chilean earthquake so much more horrendous than any other which is devoid of anyone you know personally. I feared for the people of Haiti, but differently than I do for Chile, and I barely know where Chile is. I'm just so glad Fernando and family are okay.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Thank you for checking in again, feaito. I remember well the beautiful old colonial buildings in Santiago, and especially the cathedral. I hope the damage can be repaired.

I was happy to find out that Easter Island escaped any serious damage from the tsunami.