Fernando: Please Let Us Know If You're Okay

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Fernando: Please Let Us Know If You're Okay

Post by moira finnie »

To our dear friend and member Fernando:
Please let us know if you are okay when you can. As news reports indicate, an 8.8 earthquake has hit Chile early this morning, affecting Santiago and other areas. I realize you may not be able to let us know right away, but we are thinking of you, your family and all the people living there. My prayers go with you.

Chilean Earthquake News from CNN:
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/ameri ... ile.quake/
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Fernando: Please Let Us Know If You're Okay

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Fernando, you and yours are in my prayers. Hope you are OK.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Yes, Fernando, please touch base with us; you & your loved ones, as well as all our beloved neighbors in Chile, are in our prayers, and we are worried. :| :| :|
And shame on the American news media for making this a page 3 story!! :evil:
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Dear Fernando,

You and your family and all who are affected by this catastrophe are in our thoughts and prayers! Hope you are safe!

Brenda
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

'Nando, we are all praying for your safety. Please let us know when you can.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Friends, I have my internet connection back. It was massive, biggest than the 1985 earthquake and the others I remember from childhood. I live in a building of 27 floors, there was a car crash a minute before the earthquake began, in front on our building, then the earthquake started (around 3:40 Local time) and lasted for 1 minute and a half I think. The power and all the lights went off and I did not have a lantern. My wife had to woke me up, because I sleep with earplugs and I'm taking a medicine that keeps me very sleepy indeed. My sister who lives on the 19th floor was in panic and came down to fetch us with her husband. She said on her apt. some things broke and part of paiting of the celings fell, etc. Some people had to be evacuated by firemen who had to break and crush their doors. All I can say that the quality of construction in general here in Santiago is fantastic. We drove to some nearby neighbourhoods and everything looked well (on the outside at least) after such an earthquake and so many aftershocks. I was very concerned about my friends from NY who live on the 26th floor. They had a lot of damage inside their apt. (things broken) and it moved like a rollercoaster. A friend of them (originally from Washington DC) had just arrived yesterday and since she lives in NY she was shocked with all this. We all went down to the lobby of the building. Many people were histerical and up to now many of them are lying there or left for other relatives houses. In my apt. (which is new) there are some cracked walls, but it is not structural damage, it happened were the jointures of cement and wood are (don't know how to explain it) and a couple of antiques were broken. You can imagine the intensity of the movement with this: a 32" WEGA TV (heavy like a rock) fell off to the floor, but was not broken. Still, in many other neighbourhoods of this very large city and in the many other cities south and north of Santiago: Valparaiso, Viña, Concepción, Talca, there was a lot of damage, some buildings fell off, many people died, some bridges fell off and also highways. The Santiago airport is closed due to the damage it also suffered. Many tourists want to leave and the government has advised people not to travel by highways.All I can say is that I am a lucky man and that appreciate your concern. Best. Fernando
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Bless you! thanks for letting us know, with all the things you have to deal with right now, it was wonderful to hear you are all right. God Bless You
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

It is wonderful to know that you're alright! I'm thanking the Good Lord for His loving kindness!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I'm glad to know that you're safe.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Please continue to take care and keep us posted!
Best to you and yours - Dewey
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Just heard about the quake and knew that the Oasis family would already have a thread up and running!

I am relieved to already be able to read that you and your family are okay. Let us know if there is anything we can do.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm praying for you and your family's continued safety. I hope you will check as circumstances allow. Our best to your country for a speedy recovery.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank God that you and your family are OK! My prayers and thoughts are with you and yours.

Joe
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

How frightening! I'm so happy to hear that you and your family are unscathed. Where was the epicenter of the quake? Is it urban or rural? Have there been any aftershocks?

I suppose we have all read or heard by now of the tsunami activity that is expected in Hawaii as a result of this quake. It must have been a truly terrible tremblor.

Please be cautious, Nando. We are all thinking of you.
JDB
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Fe,

First thing i saw on my home page was the headline from the Washington Post about the earthquake. (No mention on the feed from my LA Times, (&*@*~~!!!).

This was my first stop this morning and I am thrilled to hear that you and your family are okay. Quakes of this magnitude are beyond frightening to be in and the aftershocks only add to the tension.

You, your family and friends are all in my prayers. I'm just so happy that you and yours are all right.

Please keep us updated!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese