Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Chit-chat, current events
klondike

Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Post by klondike »

movieman1957 wrote:It looks like it could be from "Blood On The Sun" as well. There is no mention of a "Judo and The Paycock" in his imdb listings or trivia. The person that did do the review on imdb does mention a martial arts fight. I haven't seen it in years so I don't remember.

Cagney's trivia notes there do indicate he was a black belt in judo.
Kidding aside, I can confirm that for you, Chris - I recognized that scene immediately.
Here's an interesting bit of real-history trivia for you - know who is credited as "bringing" Japanese martial arts to the US?
None other than President Theodore Roosevelt, following his Nobel-winning work mediating an armistice for the Russo-Japanese War.
Purportedly, he even converted a basement in the White House into a make-shift dojo, where he often tried to persuade many foreign dignitaries to don a gi, and join him on the mats!
I guess, just like Jimmy, TR enjoyed servings chops for lunch! :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Crap. I completely missed a joke there. I am lame.

That sounds like something TR would do.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

A day & a half late, but I felt Hibernians the world over would forgive me, as it's quite fitting:

While on vacation in Europe, I visited the Vatican, where I noticed a marble column in St. Peter's with a golden telephone on it. As a young priest passed by, I asked what the telephone was for. The priest told me it was a direct line to Heaven, and if I'd like to call, it would be a thousand dollars. I was amazed, but declined the offer.

Throughout Italy, France & Spain, I kept seeing the same golden telephone on a marble column. At each, I asked about it and the answer was always the same: It was a direct line to Heaven and I could make a call for a thousand dollars.

Then - I finished my tour in Ireland, and decided to attend Mass at a local village church in County Cork. When I walked in the door I noticed that same golden telephone - but underneath it, there was a sign stating: "DIRECT LINE TO HEAVEN: 25 cents." "Father," I asked the parish priest, "I have been all over Europe, and in all the cathedrals & great churches I've visited, I've seen telephones exactly like this one. But the price was always a thousand dollars. Why is it that this one calls Heaven for only 25 cents?"

The priest smiled, laid his hand upon my shoulder, and said, "Ah, Laddie Buck, you're in Ireland now; it's a local call."

Happy St. Patrick's Day !!