Is Tom Hanks the new James Stewart?

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Is Tom Hanks the new James Stewart?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I ask this because everytime we watch Tom Hanks my husband always says 'He's the James Stewart of our generation'. I can see why he says that, I can see Tom Hanks playing in It's a Wonderful Life, The Shopworn Angel, Harvey but I can't see Tom Hanks in Vertigo, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance or any of the Anthony Mann westerns. I like Tom Hanks but think comapring him to James Stewart is perhaps too much of a compliment. I may be wrong though.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Re: Is Tom Hanks the new James Stewart?

That's true. I do like Ewan MacGregor although I'm not sure he could manage both genres like Stewart.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

It's difficult to think of a contemporary actor who could convincingly do both Harvey and Winchester '73.
I think Matt Damon could pull it off.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Matt Damon probably could.

I nominate Johnny Depp. I think he can do anything.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I had in mind that Richard Gere is the new Cary Grant.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
charliechaplinfan

I like Richard Gere, I can see the similarities.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Tom Hanks = Todays James Stewart Richard Gere = Todays Cary Grant - I shudder to think of it. :oops:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Sounds Interesting.
I can see Hanks playing Stewart ...

There is only one James Stewart and There is only one Tom Hanks.

I can see Hanks doing some Stewart's remakes - but rather not Hollywood to do that; because it will ruin all classics that James Stewart did in his lifetime. It will tarnish it. I can see the similarities - of course Hanks can pull it off doing all the Stewart's classics - but, my new friends - it is better to leave things like it is for the preservation of cinematic history.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Well, it won't ruin them but it will make younger people stay away from them. The beauty of film is that we still have the originals.

I'm not so sure Hanks would be all that interested in doing them. Just my guess.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

No, I don't think he would. He seems to be an actor who likes a challenge and to remake some of Stewart's classic comedies would be playing too close to the popular perception of him. It would be more interesting to see him doing a role like Vertigo, not that I would ever want that perfect film remade by anyone but that kind of role might be more of a challenge for Tom Hanks.

The one film I am surprised has never been remade is It's a Wonderful LIfe, it is cinematic perfection but TV companies do like slushy remakes.