Household Questions for Handy Andys and Annies

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Household Questions for Handy Andys and Annies

Post by moira finnie »

I am into Day 3 of a project in my kitchen, which for me, is a major achievement.

After cleaning and sanding the surfaces, I've painted the cupboards in "Martha Stewart Iron-White Satin Washable Latex" (3 coats) and have decided on brushed nickel handles to replace the ghastly 1970s brass Spanish-influenced knobs. Now, my next question is:

Has anyone ever painted their over the stove exhaust fan cover?

I have seen it done on home improvement tv shows with few explanations about the kind of paint or the prep required. We have a '70s burnished gold cover that is now a gritty, rather dirty brown (despite regular attempts to clean it). The exhaust fan works fine and will not need to be replaced, but I would like to paint the cover after scrubbing, sanding and brushing it down with a tack cloth. I think I would like to brush on a paint such as Rust-Oleum Satin Black metallic paint, avoiding the knobs, the light and the filter completely, but making the rest of the cover look refreshed--if not new.

Any advice or guidance, homeowners? Thanks in advance for your comments.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Re: Household Questions for Handy Andys and Annies

Post by mrsl »

I would use the spray Rust-o-leum instead of a brush to avoid brush strokes. Also, is it possible to remove and spray on a back porch or something? Spraying is always a mess in the kitchen because you don't realize how much of those fine sprays reach out.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Rustoleum should be fine. Stove exhaust vents actually get more heat from the stove than the fumes which travel through them. If you're really concerned, they make a high heat paint specifically designed for grilles and such. Just remember, light coats. :wink:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks very much for your suggestions. Spray painting is not going to be easy since there is no way I can remove the hood or cover all the surfaces in the kitchen to prevent over-spraying onto other areas. I can paint in very light strokes, I think. I was looking at the Rustoleum high heat paints too, Ark. They make some that are intended for outdoor grills that are supposed to withstand 500-1000 degrees. I have "carmelized" some dishes over the years accidentally, though I don't think anything went above 500 F.

I'll let you know how this all turns out.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks