Hockey Great Dies at 59

Chit-chat, current events
klondike

Hockey Great Dies at 59

Post by klondike »

When this story came-up on MSN, I kept saying: "Not my team - please, not my team!"
:x
Not so lucky - maybe I jinxed it . . :cry:

FINAL SCORE - SABRES LOSE A BIG ONE

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP)

Rick Martin, a member of the Buffalo Sabres' famed French Connection line in the 1970s, died Sunday. He was 59.

New York State Police Capt. Steven Nigrelli said, Martin was pronounced dead at a suburban Buffalo hospital at 1 p.m., about a half hour after the car he was driving crossed the center line on the road, rolled along the shoulder and struck a utility pole before coming to rest against a tree.
Nigrelli said witnesses spotted Martin driving with his head slumped and eyes closed before the crash, which occurred in the Buffalo suburb of Clarence. Nigrelli said it appeared Martin had ''an undetermined medical emergency'' before the accident.

Two passers-by and eventually a state trooper performed CPR on Martin, who remained unresponsive when removed from the vehicle. Martin's German shepherd dog was also in the vehicle and stood by, Nigrelli said.

An autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death.

''Rick was not only one of the greatest players in franchise history, he was a great friend to the Sabres organization and entire community,'' read a statement released by the team. ''The thoughts and prayers of the entire Sabres organization go out to his wife, Mikey, and their two sons, Corey and Josh.''

Prior to the Sabres' home game against Ottawa on Sunday, the Sabres honored Martin with a tribute on the center ice video scoreboard.

''It was great sadness and a heavy heart that we lost a member of the Sabre family today,'' longtime team broadcast Rick Jeanneret said, as pictures of Martin were shown. ''Rick Martin was a person of joy. You'll be missed `Rico,' but you will be remembered.''

Fans gave Martin a standing ovation before the arena fell into a hush during a moment of silence.

News of Martin's death was a shock to his former teammates, including coach Lindy Ruff.

''We lost a heck of a guy today,'' Ruff said prior to the game. ''It's tough when you lose anybody, and we lost a real good person today. It's a tough one to take.''

Martin was selected fifth overall by the Sabres in the 1971 draft, and immediately made an impact on the team the following season when he scored what was then an NHL rookie record 44 goals. From LaSalle, Quebec, Richard (Rick) Lionel Martin played left wing on a line centered by Gilbert Perreault and Rene Robert. They were eventually dubbed The French Connection.

Former Sabres defenseman Larry Playfair was stunned when learning of Martin's death from Robert.

''What a shocker,'' Playfair said. ''Wow. That one caught me off guard.''

Martin was remembered for his fun-loving personality off the ice, and for his intensity on it.

''He certainly made a lot of us laugh, didn't he?'' former defenseman Mike Robitaille. ''I don't know what we're doing being so emotional when what he stands for is to have fun and laugh. Man, we should have the biggest party in the world for Richard. ... A lot of good memories.''

Robitaille played three years with Martin in Buffalo, and didn't realize how good of an offensive player Martin was until Robitaille played against him.

''I found out how much fire he had in him,'' Robitaille said. ''This thing about scoring goals would just overcome him. From the blue line in, he was almost unstoppable.''

Martin spent 10-plus seasons with Buffalo before his career was cut short by a severe knee injury during a game against Washington in November 1980.

He was traded to Los Angeles during the 1980-81 season, and only played four games for the Kings through the following season.

Martin finished with 384 goals and 317 assists for 701 points in 685 career NHL games. He added 24 goals and 29 assists for 53 points in 63 career playoff games.

He was a five-time 40-goal-scorer, and twice surpassed the 50-goal plateau, when he had 52 in each of the 1973-74 and 1974-75 seasons. Martin's most productive campaign was in 1974-75, when he had a career-high 95 points (52 goals, 43 assists) in 68 games.

Martin has more career goals than any Sabres left wing and ranks second in team history. He ranks second with 47 game-winning goals, while his 695 points rank third. Martin also holds the Sabres record with 21 three-goal games.

The French Connection is recognized at the Sabres' arena with separate banners honoring all three players hanging together from the ceiling.

The line was most recently reunited prior to the Sabres home game against Atlanta last month. That's when the three took the ice during a welcoming ceremony, greeting Pennsylvania billionaire Terry Pegula, a day after he purchased the franchise.

''I think that was awesome,'' Ruff said. ''To see them skate out was incredible. And just to see the smiles on all three of their faces was even better.''

Pegula fondly remembered that welcome, and said he was looking forward to having the trio involved with the team even more in the future.

''We had a lot of plans in the future for these guys, I guess we'll just have an empty chair around, but it'll be there,'' Pegula said.

Funeral arrangements have not been announced.
mongoII

Re: Hockey Great Dies at 59

Post by mongoII »

"Martin was remembered for his fun-loving personality off the ice, and for his intensity on it."

Indeed he was. Richard Martin (1951 - 2011)
Joseph Goodheart