How to use natural products as beauty remedies and to soothe

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: How to use natural products as beauty remedies and to soothe

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I can kill just about anything that grows. Can't even do the catmint as the cats go beserk for it.

When buying oils its imprtant to buy essential oils and not fragrances for burners. When you unscrew the lid of an essential oil you'll realise you have the right product, the smell should just whack you in the nose.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We used to come out in the spring and find our catmint flattened - no cats but we found a visiting skunk used to nestle there over night and roll around in it... I think he got very happy when he was in it. Once we tried to trap a woodchuck in the backyard - he was eating my rosebuds and anything else at that height of about a foot off the ground. I made the mistake of putting catmint to line the path into the trap and we caught ourselves a skunk instead. Andrew said he looked very happy and sedate when he threw the blanket over the cage in order to lift the doors.

A testament to the powers of herbs and natural scent as a healing agent. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't know who it was who recommended LUSH all natural products to me...it must have been in another thread, and I can't find it. I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to whoever it was.

Not only have I ordered the most wonderful bath bomb ever (AVOBATH), but I took my daughter to the store today, and she loved it! We haven't had much mother-daughter bonding lately and I've been really depressed about it. Well, I took her in, and the salesgirls all gushed over her, and gave her a sample lip scrub (heavenly! I tried it too). Then when we bought the lip scrub, another girl came over and offered me some hair treatment for my dry. very curly hair. It was loads of fun, and we got pampered and fussed over by the staff. My daughter says she hope that they still have the store here when she grows up, because she wants to work there.

All because I didn't know what a bath bomb was in one of the threads here.

Thank you again!
charliechaplinfan

I think the bath bombs were in the Boyer thread. I don't think we have Lush over here. Libby and I managed some bonding whilst shopping in Normandy, she loves browsing shops and market stalls just like me.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I don't think we have Lush over here.
http://www.lush.co.uk/

They seem like nice products.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Alison! How was the trip? Are you completely wiped out? I hope the time in France was lovely. Post pictures, soon!!!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am very glad you are back!

You would be so proud of Alice, she came home from LUSH and started making her own lotions. We went to the health food store to get supplies, shea butter almond oil and coconut oil, but they didn't have cocoa butter. She made one with ginger-vanilla, and another with lemon and one more with cinnamon and... something. They are very nice, and seem quite as good as the pre-made lotions.

Hey! Fanny just started on TCM!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

JackFavell wrote:I don't know who it was who recommended LUSH all natural products to me...it must have been in another thread, and I can't find it. I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to whoever it was.
That would have been me, in the Boyer thread. You are welcome, Jack.

I've decided it will be a Lush Mothers Day for my mother this year, and discovered their products can be ordered through Amazon.com, so I got her a couple of gift sets (one, two) using an Amazon gift card I still had from Christmas. :)
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Actually, they are a British enterprise -- and the founders just received the OBE. :) When I first made the acquaintance of Lush stores back in 1999, it was while on vacation in Canada -- I believe they had not yet branched into the States.

Edit to add:
Yes, it looks as though Lush branched into Canada in 1996, but didn't move south of the border until 2002.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 04,00.html
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

This was the first year I didn't give candy to my daughter for Easter (my mother-in-law gives her enough to last the whole year) so I got her some of the Easter bath bombs and bubble bars, hid them around the house like Easter eggs and waited to see if she got upset...on the contrary, she was ecstatic. Yesterday she thanked me for treating her more her age, rather than like a little kid. It made me happy, plus maybe I will get her into the bath more often. :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

HA!!!!!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, girl! How is sunny California?
charliechaplinfan

moirafinnie wrote:
http://www.lush.co.uk/

They seem like nice products.
Now I've another reason to spend money, my poor husband :wink:

I think that's such a good idea Wendy, I'll remember it for next year. My mother gets a tonne of chocolate for them, we get little eggs and hide them all over the garden. Libby loves girly things, I could see on this holiday that I have someone to go shopping with who is going to be an absolute delight.

I will post some pictures when I get organised, we had a lovely time, we met with AnnHarding/Christine who I've known for four years but never had the chance to meet. She posted a picture on the birthday thread.
charliechaplinfan

Bravo to Alice to for making her own concoctions, she'll be joining our thread and educating us soon.

My hair really suffered from the hard water in Normandy and the lack of power in the showers at the rented caravan. I've used the sweet almond oil or avocado oil with a few drops of rosemary oil and it's got more shine than ever. It reminds me too how in my permed hair youth I used to buy vosene hot oils and heat them up to calm the frizz, the amount of money I used to spend on treatment when really I should have given up on perms.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

How much oil do you use on your hair, Alison? I wouldlove to know. I used the free LUSH H'Suan Wen Hua that the girl at the store made up for me, which is an extreme conditioner for dry damaged hair. When I got my hair cut this last time, I went to a different stylist, and some how, my hair just looked awful afterwards... frizzed on the ends - I don't understand what could have happened..all she did was cut it and before I could stop her, she put some product in (I can't wear a lot of that goop - I am allergic). It was supposed to make my hair more curly. Anyway. My whole head of hair has been totally dried out and frizzy since then.

I used the H'suan Wen Wa treatment, not thinking that it would really do much, for I am a skeptic at heart. But it really has cured my hair... it's soft and the curl lays down instead of frizzing up, the hair all seems to be smooth and stays together, rahter than individual hairs flying around my head. It has avocado, eggs, Bay leaf, balsamic vinegar, and watercress in it. I'll use it again, if I don't eat it first!