SEATTLE'S SPACE NEEDLE - 50th Birthday Today

Chit-chat, current events
Rita Hayworth

SEATTLE'S SPACE NEEDLE - 50th Birthday Today

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Seattle's Space Needle 50th Birthday Today

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... le18m.html

It was built just in time for the 1961 World's Fair - and this is the only thing that I can barely remember seeing when we had the fair back in those days. I enclosed the URL for the article that the Seattle Times had today - reminding all Seattlelites that our grand ole tower of 605 feet is having a birthday today. I know that we have many members here asking me about Seattle and so forth ... I thought it would nice to let you all know that I have fond memories riding up the Needle and our beloved tower is often used in television, movies, made for TV movies, and so forth.

I just wanted to share this NEWS STORY to all of you here.
klondike

Re: SEATTLE'S SPACE NEEDLE - 50th Birthday Today

Post by klondike »

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, KM!
Takes me back to living on Vashon Island, from the late 80's through the 90's.
For most of that time, Mrs. K worked for the Metropolitan Transit System, or Metro, for short, and often the kids & I would ferry over to Seattle for cheap thrills.
I recall that Seattlites used to enjoy calling the SeaFirst Building, up on 4th Ave, "the Box the Space Needle Came In", as it dated from 1960, and was just one storey taller.
Also, until the Columbia Center (known popularly as Selig's Black Tower) was finished, the SeaFirst used to be the tallest structure in the Emerald City.