Any End of the World Plans?

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Any End of the World Plans?

Post by moira finnie »

Okay, maybe I'm pushing my luck here, but, since I figure I should have a few eons shoveling coal into the infernal mouth of hell for several enjoyable interludes I've thoroughly relished in my often hedonistic pursuit of "the good life," why try to backtrack now? I think I'll have a piece of cheesecake washed down with a frosty margarita (or three) while watching Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast just as the rapture action begins. I figure God hates a hypocrite, so why should I be one now. He'll sort it all out one way or another in His own sweet time.

How about you guys? Does anyone else have any good plans for tonight at 6pm? As you undoubtedly have heard already, a Christian sect has decided that this is it--May 21, 2011 at 6 pm wherever you are--we're all going to get our just desserts. Hope mine has some blueberries on it. I'd love to know your last wishes, kids.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Any End of the World Plans?

Post by Lzcutter »

Marco, ChiO and I will be enjoying I Love Trouble at Dewey's Noir Fest at the appointed hour.

With our eyes glued to the screen will we notice anyone in the audience being raptured? If last year's Noir fest is any indication, we won't take our eyes off the screen!

Though, if we are all still here on this mortal coil, a glass of wine or a beer may be in order in the aftermath.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Lzcutter wrote:Marco, ChiO and I will be enjoying I Love Trouble at Dewey's Noir Fest at the appointed hour.

With our eyes glued to the screen will we notice anyone in the audience being raptured? If last year's Noir fest is any indication, we won't take our eyes off the screen!

Though, if we are all still here on this mortal coil, a glass of wine or a beer may be in order in the aftermath.
Sounds like a pretty good way to go. Thanks for responding, Lynn.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

Well, 10 minutes to go.
If they're right, and I'm wrong, look for the hard-working guy at the intersection of Afterlife Street & Summer Lands Avenue, and wave as you go by . . I'll be wearing an orange traffic-control vest, and looking really surprised! :shock:
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Sunday 8:00am
I think I am still here. I think the sect must be in America where it is still yesterday. I suppose I will just kark it.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

klondike wrote:Well, 10 minutes to go.
If they're right, and I'm wrong, look for the hard-working guy at the intersection of Afterlife Street & Summer Lands Avenue, and wave as you go by . . I'll be wearing an orange traffic-control vest, and looking really surprised! :shock:

ImageImage
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Well, 3 hours and 10 minutes ago, the world as we know it did not end. But for some poor souls in Central and Northern Kansas, they might think it did...TENNIS BALL size hail, and some reports of hail 5 inches in diameter. Folks, that is serious sized hail. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

I have been unable to log in to Ebay. I have been trying unsuccessfully all morning. Perhaps the world did end after all.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Well, we survived the non-Rapture at the Roxy Theater this evening. Marco (moraldorubini) and I joined ChiO and Dewey for an afternoon/evening of rare film noir.

Ride the Pink Horse was up first. As soon as I saw the credits, I was reminded that we were making of habit of seeing the talented Montgomery family on the big screen. Last year at this same time, we went to Dewey's fest to see Cop Killer and Johnny Cool. Cool co-starred Robert's talented daughter, Elizabeth. Pink Horse starred her dad, Robert. It was definitely the better of the two films.

Almost all of it was shot on soundstages but the opening shot of a vintage Greyhound bus was fun as were the establishing shots of Santa Fe in 1947. Thomas Gomez, looking a bit like Edmund O'Brien in The Wild Bunch stole the movie. Fred Clark as the big bad was on-hand as well. The script was by Ben Hecht and Charles Lederer and that definitely helped.

ChiO had seen I Love Trouble earlier in the afternoon and warned us that Franchot Tone was the weak link in the film. Boy, was he right. The star of the movie for me was post-war Los Angeles. From the opening shots of Westwood in 1948, I was in heaven. Westwood Village has changed a great deal in the almost 40 years I have been here but some of the buildings are still standing and I recognized immediately the old Bank of America building.

From there the plot took us down to Venice with a shot of the old Ocean Park amusement park and it's giant ferris wheel. And oil derricks everywhere. And I mean everywhere, like every three feet. Working oil derricks in neighborhoods, in business areas, everywhere. I think Curtis Hanson must have watched this film prior to making LA Confidential.

The downtown financial area, mid-Wilshire, Beverly Hills, all those location shots made this City of Angels girl suddenly very home-sick.

The movie, co-starring Janet Blair, Janis Carter and the always wonderful, Glenda Farrell were joined by John Ireland and a duo of heavies (one of which is an incredibly young Raymond Burr) that are more comedy than intended.

Eduardo Ciannelli even had a scene or two.

Written by Roy Huggins (from his popular novel), Franchot Tone played private detective Stuart Bailey. Efrem Zimbalist, jr would have much more luck with the character of Stuart Bailey when Huggins took the idea to television and produced the series, 77 Sunset Strip.

Dewey was able to secure actual prints and the audience was appreciative. The big reveal in Trouble took some of the audience by surprise and that was fun.

All and all, much more fun and better than any Rapture could have been.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

We had a scary moment last night. The END OF THE WORLD was predicted at 6:00PM EST in NJ. Rita and I returned from a family party and pulled up to our house at precisely 6:00PM. At that moment the skies blackened and night time seemed to surround us. We chuckled with disbelief and said well here it is honey. I love you no matter where we end up.

Then the huge thunderstorm came, went, and soon the sun came out again. We never even got to our bomb shelter, as if we had one.

By the way, I am reminded of a movie called "Blast From The Past" (1999) with Brendan Fraser and Alicia Silverstone which deliciously gave us a story of a family who went into a homemade self sufficient bomb shelter for 35 years after a plane crashed in their backyard. Father thought it was a atomic bomb and brought them down forever. Now they were running low on food and came up to see the mutants and get more supplies. It is a delightful farce and, of course, becomes a Hollywood love story. Very entertaining movie. I recommend it. It does run almost 2 hours so be prepared but don't give up until Adam Weber (Brendan Fraser) comes up to the surface. It is a good comedy co starring Christopher Walken, Sissy Spacek, and Dave Foley. Go rent it, please
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If it had happened when and where globally it was "supposed" to I would have been watching the Air Force Thunderbirds at Andrews Air Force Base. It would have been a pleasant if uneventful ending to my uneventful life. As it was I had a slight case of sunburn on my pale face. SPF 70 just wasn't enough.

Further confirmation of a non event came this morning when I had a church full of people for all three services this morning.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Folks,

Well, here we all are, still Earth bound and not on Cloud 9 (that's the cloud I had reserved with St. Peter!!)....

Is there any word from that deluded reverand as to when the next "End of the World Day" is??? Or are we still aiming for the Mayan calendar one in 2012.
Just asking - - as I may want to reserve Cloud 9 again whenever!!! And, I will want several days notice in order to polish my wings (they do tend to tarnish from disuse!!)....

Larry
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

December 21, 2012 is slated for the next big one. That is my Birthday. I will be looking forward to the big bash.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

The end of the world has been rescheduled for tomorrow, 10/21/11.

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/26 ... y-21-2011/

Any last movie suggestions?
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I won't have to do laundry then.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."