Earthquake 2011

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Earthquake 2011

Post by movieman1957 »

I just experienced my first earthquake. Kind of an odd experience. I was having lunch in the back of the office when I thought someone ran across the roof of the building but I got up and came out to the main office just as pictures were rattling and the blinds were swaying. It lasted about five seconds and it was very unnerving though oddly not really scary.

The Bride reported that things fell off of some shelves and some of the dishes were rattling. My daughter had the community college close down.

Baltimore and DC seem to be fine though it is early. It was centered just north of Richmond VA and seems to have been felt as far north as Massachusetts. No after shocks yet.

BTW it was 5.9.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Re: Earthquake 2011

Post by MissGoddess »

I felt a little trembling on the 7th floor and cellular service was disrupted here in NYC but nothing else. I heard it was felt as far as Ohio.

magnify this 20 times, and that's what i felt when i was in the northridge quake in California. this was small potatoes in comparison.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I remember watching the coverage of the North Ridge quake in complete disbelief of what I was seeing. The damage was stunning.

It was interesting today.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I still have nightmares now and then about it. I felt deja vu today.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I was walking down 6th Ave. In fact, 6th and Grand ST. when this woman ran out in front of me like a bat out of hell and several people after her. I was in the midst of a phoncon when my friend said her building was shaking. Then all these people poured out of the nearby buildings. I asked a woman what had happened and she said "earthquake."I had no phone service and called my folks in Harlem from a pay phone. My father said his chair was shaking. He turned on the news and said a 5.9 quake hit in D.C. I had my trusty videocamera with me in case events got hairy.

This is nothing compared to what Cali experiences, I know. But I also know native New Yorkers are tough.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Earthquakes aren't always easy to deal with (little ones are much easier than big ones and 5.9 is hardly a little one!). Out here, it seems, long time residents of the City of Angels and other California cities are well prepped as to what to do because emergency prep is such a concern.

But, if you aren't used to them they can be unnerving and scary.

Just glad to know you guys are all okay!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

About 20 minutes ago, we had a smaller tremor up here in the City of the Bay.

One thing's for sure, there's a whole lotta shaking going on all around the country!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

And all this is in addition to the one in southern Colorado.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm glad that each of you--especially those near tall buildings--are all okay.

I never felt a thing yesterday as I was on the highway driving when it occurred, but within five minutes I did see and hear some odd things. A doe and her fawn, who are rarely seen except at dawn and dusk--especially in the middle of the day--were standing, looking puzzled, in the middle of a neighbor's lawn, while a few blocks away, a normally quiet and gentle dog sounded as though he was baying "Swing low, sweet chariot." Last year a small quake in the afternoon woke me up from a nap when I thought a very large truck was rumbling down the street, causing my bed to shake! People in tall buildings around here shot out of their offices asap. My Boston-based brother-in-law's desk drawers flew open and pictures on the wall swayed. Much to his wife's consternation, he took the elevator down 12 stories to earth! At least he got home okay--though phone service took awhile to be restored here too.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

*Slightly OT* I can see from your avatar that Gabin is becoming a fav with you! 8)
A nice pic showcasing his beautiful blue eyes.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, yes, Christine. I do like Gabin's expressive eyes (so eloquent in films as diverse as Remorques, L'Air de Paris, and Leur Derniere Nuit, which I've just seen), but those grudging smiles of his are a rare treat too. I'll try to write about some of the Jean Gabin films that I am relishing from his SUTS day. I think it is time that he is featured as a Star of the Month--right after TCM gets around to spotlighting Douglas Fairbanks Sr.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

right after TCM gets around to spotlighting Douglas Fairbanks Sr.
and Joel McCrea!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Lzcutter wrote:
right after TCM gets around to spotlighting Douglas Fairbanks Sr.
and Joel McCrea!!!!
Amen, Sister! Then maybe McCrea could "enter my [TCM] house justified."

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks