"Guy Mcafee"

Chit-chat, current events
Bilbo

"Guy Mcafee"

Post by Bilbo »

Whilst reading about Las Vegas I came across Guy Mcafee - and for my own satisfaction tried to find out about his life history. I have scoured the "internet" and have exhausted all possible references - using trigger words common to him.

However I have some blanks and hope someone out-there reading this can help me with -

(1) as a start - how do you pronounce his name ? (a) Mac - a - fee
(b) Mac - af - ee
(c) Ma - kafee
(2) I know he went to Seattle early in life and got married there - was the date of the marriage - and what was his wifes full name ?

(3) After moving to Los Angeles he eventually joined the LAPD - he had two spells in the Police - what were the dates of each term ?

(4) He must have divorced from his first wife - because he married an Hollywood high profile madam - but it didn't last as she died.
What was her name ? when did they marry and when did she die?

(5) In 1941 a newspaper reported that "June Brewster" - his third wife was to file for a divorce once she had sorted out a property settlement. Did that happen ? did they divorce ? if so when ?

If anyone has any ideas of where I can try to find any of this information I would be grateful.

Thanks for reading this - Bilbo :roll:
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: "Guy Mcafee"

Post by Lzcutter »

Bilbo,

Being the Las Vegas history buff around here, I hope I can be of some help:

1) as a start - how do you pronounce his name ? (a) Mac - a - fee

Mac-a-fee is the common pronunciation and the only way I have it heard it pronounced. He moved to Las Vegas from Los Angeles where he was a dirty vice cop. He is credited with naming the Las Vegas Blvd South as "the Strip" after the Sunset Strip in the City of Angels.

(2) I know he went to Seattle early in life and got married there - was the date of the marriage - and what was his wifes full name ?

I only know that her first name was Ava and that they had a daughter that he left when he moved to Los Angeles. McAfee was estranged from her and intentionally left her out of his will.

(3) After moving to Los Angeles he eventually joined the LAPD - he had two spells in the Police - what were the dates of each term ?

You might check out a non fiction book called LA Noir no relationship to the recent video game, as it is a historic look at Los Angeles from the 1930s to the 1960s.

(4) He must have divorced from his first wife - because he married an Hollywood high profile madam - but it didn't last as she died.
What was her name ? when did they marry and when did she die?

(5) In 1941 a newspaper reported that "June Brewster" - his third wife was to file for a divorce once she had sorted out a property settlement. Did that happen ? did they divorce ? if so when ?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese