Chit-chat, current events
ChiO

Re: Musical Influences

Post by ChiO »

Louis Armstrong
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Bob Dylan

(Can we carve a fifth for Hank Williams?)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My Mount Rushmore of Music

Simon and Garfunkel
The Beatles
The Beach Boys
Johnny Cash

Hank Williams, Bing Crosby, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Al Hirt, Johnny B. Goode, Frank and Nancy Sinatra, Dean Martin, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Campbell, The Osmonds, The Carpenters, and Burl Ives.

These are my favorites ...
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

As a Christmas gift The Bride got us tickets to see one of my favorite singer/songwriters, Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues. We went last night and it was a wonderful experience. Touring without the band but with a guitarist and keyboardist he sang and played his heart out. He was funny and engaging sharing stories about his life and music.

A crowd of middle age baby boomers were brought to their feet and maybe at times back to their youth. Still having a great voice at 67 years old he was in fine form. It is hard to imagine three people sounding so complete in their performance but they did.

It was a terrific night.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What a great evening you must have had, Chris! it's so wonderful that CA got those tickets. Sometimes a night out makes all the difference. It's so nice to see someone that you really like, with other fans who appreciate him and aren't going to talk through the show.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The funny thing about the tickets is she thought she was buying them for a Moody Blues show that they played near DC in March. I told her her when she gave them to me what show it was and she was rather upset. (We've seen the Moodies three or four times through our lives.) I think after last night she wasn't upset at all.

One of our first dates back in 1981 was a Moody Blues concert. She didn't know much about them so I kept track of the songs and put them on a tape for her. I think she still has it. She asked me to do the same last night. Now, I can just make her a playlist on her ipod.

After the year we had last year she said we needed something to look forward to. We did for five months. It was a fine time. On to something else....
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I hear you. :D

It's funny how similar you and Andrew are. He makes recordings for me all the time, especially if we've been to a concert together.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Yeah, we both have excellent taste in wives.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Awwww. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

JackFavell wrote: I do like improvising, but it's got to be done within a structure for me to really go for it. Otherwise it's just doodling.
Wendy,

Looking back I found this note and the funny thing about it is "noodling," as I call it, is what people find interesting about the way I play. Often on Sundays at church as we are closing out the service I play under the pastor's closing remarks and transition into a final song. I just improvise chords and make up little melodies as I go. (Much like what little I played for you a few years ago.) Hey, maybe I should bring my Beatles music next month. My mother who is a wonderful pianist can't play it if it is not on the page. I'm the opposite. I developed my playing because I wasn't very good at getting what was on the page to come out of my hands.

I love listening to modern piano music. Wayne Gratz and Michael Gettel and Kurt Bestor are those I listen to most. Not only are they very good on the piano they write interesting music which I often find soothing.

If only influence brought creation but it still takes talent.
Chris

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

movieman1957 wrote:
JackFavell wrote: I do like improvising, but it's got to be done within a structure for me to really go for it. Otherwise it's just doodling.
Wendy,

Looking back I found this note and the funny thing about it is "noodling," as I call it, is what people find interesting about the way I play. Often on Sundays at church as we are closing out the service I play under the pastor's closing remarks and transition into a final song. I just improvise chords and make up little melodies as I go. (Much like what little I played for you a few years ago.) Hey, maybe I should bring my Beatles music next month. My mother who is a wonderful pianist can't play it if it is not on the page. I'm the opposite. I developed my playing because I wasn't very good at getting what was on the page to come out of my hands.

I love listening to modern piano music. Wayne Gratz and Michael Gettel and Kurt Bestor are those I listen to most. Not only are they very good on the piano they write interesting music which I often find soothing.

If only influence brought creation but it still takes talent.
For me. improvisation is what makes music come to life. I don't care if you improvise within a structure or build the structure as you go. It basically comes down to one thing--can you make stuff up on the fly, or not? There are plenty of musicians who can come in with nothing (Keith Jarrett comes to mind, since we're discussing the ivories) & play with complete improvisation. I recently had to do a FOH mix for a live entertainer who made up songs & melodies on the spot, by pulling folks out of the crowd & asking questions. Absolutely wild & inspiring to watch.

When I see a band live, I expect more than I get from the album--otherwise, why would I even come out when I could play the album at home? Great musicians know this & even if they are not great improvisers, they will change things, or try to give you something extra (even if it's rehearsed), but the best performances are one-off unrepeatable shows.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Beethoven has long been my favorite composer. Now science apparently, through his music, comes to the conclusion that he had an irregular heartbeat.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/01/0 ... =obnetwork
Chris