TCM'S 2011 FILM FESTIVAL: A PICTORIAL TALE OF MADCAP TRAVEL

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

TCM'S 2011 FILM FESTIVAL: A PICTORIAL TALE OF MADCAP TRAVEL

Post by CineMaven »

HAPPY NEW YEAR ONE AND ALL!!!
We’re in a new year now, 2012. And I’m wishing health and happiness for every one of you here at the Oasis. Create some wonderful memories for yourself this new year.

And speaking of memories, I thought I’d start off the new year with some pictures from my trip last year to TCM’s Film Festival. Please forgive the inconsistency of the size of the photos. Some I was able to change, and others...I was to lazy to tackle. (One New Year’s resolution for myself: don’t be lazy). I filmed much of my trip with my trusty Panasonic DVX100B movie camera. But these photos here, were taken with my iPOD Touch. (Trusty as well...have to keep peace in my little electronic family).

This is my AMTRAK Sleeper train. I traveled four days across the country from New York to Los Angeles. A dream trip.

The place setting in the dining car. You are seated with strangers and must make friends quick. This was the hardest part of the trip for me, but I did meet some wonderful people. More tea, please.

Image Image
These are among the sights I saw of our country. It was absolutely beautiful. Sitting at the big picture window, the country looked like a movie. The expansiveness of space was breathtaking.

Image Image
I arrive in the City of Angels. Union Station looks beautiful. I cannot believe it. I’ve seen this station in movies. (In fact, just recently I watched "T-Men" with Dennis O'Keefe, and there was Union Station in the background). And now, I stand before it. The last time I was in California, the big news being reported at the time...the death of Elvis Presley.

I walked from Union Station to downtown Los Angeles. When I came back for my bags and told the baggage clerk where I’d been, she couldn’t believe I walked. But hey, I’m a native New Yorker. That’s what we do. And this is some of what I saw:

The Disney building mesmerized me. Those giants sheets of curved steel caught the sun. Giant sails of steel and chrome. I wanted to run my hands over them. I stood a good couple of minutes on that corner...just staring.

Image Image Image Image

I took the subway from Los Angeles into Hollywood and really wound up in the middle of another world. The main purpose of my trip is now starting. I walked to the Roosevelt Hotel (which I also stayed back in 1977). The Roosevelt was the central location of the festival.

Here is the hotel from different angles. The very first Academy Awards ceremony was held here in 1929. Aaaaah, that blue California sky. Gorgeous:

Image Image Image Image

Here is the ladies room at the Roosevelt. Imagine all the swankiest of female stars passed through here. Here is the swimming pool at the Roosevelt. Last year, Esther Williams and Betty Garrett appeared there. This year, Chris Isaak and Mary Ann Mobley spoke:

Image Image

When I'd leave my hotel room to take the elevator downstairs, this is the view I was greeted with from the hallway window. Everytime I turned the corner to go to the bank of elevators I saw these beautiful mountains in the distance:

Image Image

This was the meeting place of many Message Board members where finally a face and a nom de plume were put together for the first time. And the burger was delicious!

One of the most famous streets in the world:

I walked up and down the famed Hollywood Boulevard. I was looking down a lot b’cuz the Walk of Fame had so many movie stars' Stars imbedded in the sidewalk.

Image Image Image

About seven in the morning (I’m an early riser even when traveling, ‘cuz I don’t want to miss a thing), I went over to the famed Grauman’s Chinese Theatre to get some shots of the foot and hand prints of the stars. Here are some foot prints of folks you may remember:

Image Image Image

In between screenings, I walked around Hollywood. (Yeah, there’s that Walking thing again we do here in the Big Apple). Sometimes I took the train, and sometimes I took the bus. But most of the time I walked. And I had my notes with me. What notes? Posts from some of our TCM/SSO vets served as a guide for Must-See historic sites to visit. I tried to hit as many of them as I could:

Image Image

Yep, I walked down the length of Hollywood Boulevard to get to Musso & Franks:

Image Image
Manny - the Waiter at Musso & Franks. He did magic tricks for me and told me a slew of stories. Oh man, he was great! Too bad the menu didn’t have 1930’s prices. But hey, it’s a V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N.
It’s alllll good.

Image Image Image
SUNSET GOWER STUDIOS & THE PALADIUM

Roller coaster ride, anyone?

And the Oscar goes to...

Image Image Image
THE FAMED PANTAGES THEATRE. I just love saying the name: PANTAGES.

An army of palm trees. Regal. Tall. They looked sooooooo exotic to this Eastern city gal.

Here was a cute little coffee house, dedicated to Audrey Hepburn:

A wall of Hepburn:

The Spanish architecture...so different from what we have here in NYC:

Image Image

READIN’ & WRITIN’ & ‘RITHMETIC: HOLLYWOOD HIGH SCHOOL:

Where some of the famous got their education...

This is near the Hollywood Bowl and here’s another beaut of a church:

Image Image

I love the rounded Art Deco look. But watch your step when you cross the street near this church. You will get your block knocked off by California speed demons speedily whizzing by in their cars. Whew!! Look BOTH ways before you cross those streets!!

Mavens do not live by films alone. Hey, a girl’s gotta eat and drink, doesn’t she?

Image Image Image Image
Oh, my achin’ waistline!!! I kid you not, it took me two hours to get down that chocolate shake from the Disney store near the Roosevelt. Yummmy!
It was creamy, and thick, and c-c-c-cold!

I went to the Egyptian for the midnight show of “THE MUMMY.”

Nothing scary here, right?

But it was a different story at night. I walked down Hollywood Boulevard and into the Egyptian a little after midnight...alone.

Image Image

And walking down that courtyard and facing those mammoth columns in the darnkness was scary.

EL CAPITAN felt like a cathedral to me:

Here’s your good old-fashioned ticket booth:

I walked into the past when I went inside.

The curtains opening was heralding the movie’s presentation:

Image Image

It was quite simply: S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R! I sat in the very last row of EL CAPITAN. I wanted the theatre to swallow me up. I wrapped the theatre around me. The first film that played here was Welles’ “CITIZEN KANE.” I was sitting in a movie theatre where some of the legends of Hollywood had sat. And I was moved by thoughts of the past.

A little more modern...a little more plastic:

The Hollywood-Highland complex. Very commercial. But that’s okay, too. I knew I could get my ‘historical’ fix whenever I needed.

Peter O’Toole was feted here at the Music Box.

THE HOLLYWOOD HERITAGE MUSEUM:

Image Image
Image Image

"...According to amazon.com, this was once available on VHS, though no longer. No word of DVD. Let's hope that TCM can show it. If there were a DVD, I would buy it in a heartbeat, and so would most of the people in that audience. If I were feeling blue, I'd pop in the DVD and wouldn't be able to stop smiling at the fun, energy, and dazzling artistry of the Nicholas Brothers." - KingRat

Yes, KingRat. I absolutely agree with you. Here is a screenshot from the film:

Their dancing was...IS magnificent. I ended my TCM Film Festival experience on a very high note with the documentary on the Nicholas Brothers. WoW!

They say a picture's worth a thousand words. Thank you all for taking this trip down Memory Lane with me. And again...have a very healthy, happy New Year!!!

Peace...

Theresa
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MikeBSG

Re: TCM'S 2011 FILM FESTIVAL: A PICTORIAL TALE OF MADCAP TRAVEL

Post by MikeBSG »

A great photo-essay. It made me feel like I was there.

Thanks so much for sharing. Have a great 2012.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Fantastic display of Photographs of your travel seeing TCM's 2011 Film Festival. I appreciate the hard work putting this all together. Nicely done!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Theresa,

Thank you very much for sharing this detailed account of your trip and the wonderful pixs, I also felt like if I had been there....
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

That was brilliant, T....I think you saw in your few days more than I did in my five years living there...though it does bring back memories. What beautiful weather you had...no haze! :D Thank you so much for taking the time to post this, it really takes me there. I wish you just as memorable a time at this year's fest. I wish I could be there.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's a great selection of photos and makes me want to go even more. Right now the Festival is No. 1 on my Bucket List.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Thanks for those shots, Theresa; especially of the Roosevelt, my favorite L.A. hotel!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

What a moving pictorial! It helped me relive all the fun, and our wonderful lunch! Can't wait for more...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The Dorothy Chandler, the Ahamanson, City Hall and all the hot spots in Hollywood!

Thanks Theresa for spotlighting my City of Angels so beautifully!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

CineMaven, the journey was simply wonderful. The images were quite spectacular. I was hoping there was more. So glad that you shared it with us.

Happy New Year!
Joseph Goodheart
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I'm so impressed with the amount of ground you covered! You say you made the treks between screenings; how is it that I never found the time? I was usually running[/]i from screen to screen. Though the Kodak Center mall is a generic shopping center, I wanted to add that at least the architecture is intended pay homage to Walter Hall and D. W. Griffith's sets from their 1916 spectacle "Intolerance". Next time I attend (2013?), I hope to go to Musso & Frank's Grill too. Thank you for this wonderful travelogue!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Thanks CineMaven for all those pictures. Funnily enough, yesterday I saw the Musso & Frank's grill and The Roosevelt hotel in a documentary about Laurel & Hardy. I immediately remembered your post. I also read a little book written by a Frenchman in 1929 who worked as an extra in Hollywood in the late 20s. He also mentions the Musso & Frank place as being a magnet for everybody in LA.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'll never get to the festival so reading your post and seeing your pictures have really brought it to life for me. I feel like I've expereinced it all myself. :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Sensational, Teresita! It looks like you had a phenomenal trip!