Google Privacy Changes

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Google Privacy Changes

Post by moira finnie »

Is anyone worried about Google's new privacy policy? If so, what are you doing to modify it? Do you think that this is going beyond the way that people are already tracked on the internet?

Thanks in advance for sharing your comments.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Re: Google Privacy Changes

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My family and I are going to talk about this weekend and discuss about getting out of G-Mail and any other services concerning Google and beyond. If we decided (we are very concerned about this) to get out and go somewhere else it would be a major pain in the neck for me to tell a half dozen web sites like this one to tell the administrators of my new personal e-mail account if I decided (my family, included) to drop GMAIL altogether. My nephews and nieces are seasoned computer experts about this and they are taking great strides into this matter and we valued our privacy and so forth.

Being a former Computer Analyst ... I for one, is also investigating this and I don't like it some of the changes (that I don't quite put the finger on it) that Google is try to do here. But, they make it somewhat confusing and simple at the same time and my hunch is something rotten in Denmark in the world of Google because just like the article that Moira shared to us that Europeans doesn't like the changes too. I see where they are coming from and why.

This should concerns us all ... if you use Google or GMAIL as a primary source of communication and I do valued my privacy and I don't share my GMAIL account to anyone out there in the world of Internet at all. In a site like Silver Screen Oasis ... only administrators like Moira, Lzcutter, Jondaris, and others should know my GMAIL account so that my Private Messages can be sent to me via GMAIL.

Thanks, Moira to bring this to everyone attention and hopefully me and my family will get a better understanding of these new policies changes that Google is doing by this weekend.

To all, have GMAIL accounts ... you should read the article that Moira has shared.

This is my position on this matter.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

I remember watching a documentary on PBS about how Google collects data, so am not sure how this new policy goes beyond what they are already doing. I don't have a Gmail account, and I sign into very few sites - for someone who lives in Silicon Valley, I am a low tech Neanderthal. But I have recently become aware of, and quite concerned about lack of privacy due to White Pages and Peoplefinder sites! I've been unemployed for some time, and now see that when I Google my name, full addresses and MY AGE (!) pops up on these sites - I did not see this info listed in years past, or if it was to be found, was well buried in several pages of search data. So now, even though I have removed my street address from my resume, it is still quite easy for a prospective employer to find out I am an aging Boomer! I have spent time looking up old friends, co-workers, and even other people who frequent this board, and amazed to find everyone's ages listed, as well their general addresses. These sites claim there is a way to delete this info, but it seems a Herculean task, that one needs to constantly stay on top of, and it doesn't appear that any of the folks I've researched have done this.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I know we give our birthdays because those who do get a little announcement on the main page. Is the rest of our info there because of what we share in the posts or some other form?

I use Google Chrome as a browser but do not have a gmail account or log in to use anything from them particularly.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I googled myself and discovered that Peoplefinders has Jon's training wife as one of my relatives. LOL!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese