George Clooney arrested

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

George Clooney arrested

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This news might have been played again and again in America but I've only seen it on our TV news once. Good on him for using his fame and standing up for something he believes in using a peaceful protest to highlight a cause he feels deeply about. He's a top rank 'celebrity' using the celebrity to highlight a cause that might have become a small footnote on the news channels, the fact he was there with his father makes me love both Mr Clooney's even more. I think it's refreshing that he's willing to do that, so many of today's celebrities are famous for doing very little apart from keeping themselves in the public eye. Mr Clooney is a man with a conscience and that makes him all the more attractive (if that were at all possible :D )
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Re: George Clooney arrested

Post by RedRiver »

I didn't even know about this. I'll have to click on a news site and see what it's all about.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

George and his father, Nick, were arrested during a protest outside the Sudanese embassy. The Clooneys were protesting the violence and human rights violations taking place in Sudan.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lzcutter wrote:George and his father, Nick, were arrested during a protest outside the Sudanese embassy. The Clooneys were protesting the violence and human rights violations taking place in Sudan.
Good for him ... I just learned of this on the news and through the internet.
And, doing the right thing about it.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I, too love it when people use their celebrity status for this kind of thing instead of receiving a small fortune just for showing photos of their newborns in public.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Ah, I'm so glad it's not just me then.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

As a fellow Kentuckian, I've heard of the elder Mr. Clooney. He's held in high esteem. George, in turn, is doing just about everything right. Standing up for admirable causes, choosing good film roles, cautiously wading into directorial waters with good results. I don't know if everybody liked THE IDES OF MARCH. I was very impressed. GOODNIGHT AND GOOD LUCK? That's so good I keep double checking that he actually did direct it!

If Mr. C keeps this up, he'll be remembered long after he's gone. I'm going to make an effort to follow his career a little more closely.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I thought Good Night and Good Luck was one of the better movies made that year and was shocked when it was basically ignored by the press and other media. I wrote about it here on SSO and nobody responded, which was kind of surprising considering the people involved were people we all grew up with. Edward R. Murrow was a must in our house.

As a rule, I watch a movie to be entertained, not to be taught lessons in etiquet, history, or current events, but I do watch George's because I know it will be presented with taste and truth. I admit to covering my eyes a lot, but its still worth it to watch.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************