Maureen O'Hara

Chit-chat, current events
markfp

Maureen O'Hara

Post by markfp »

I posted this over on the TCM board and thought I would do so here too for any of us who don't go there.

Irish Central, an online Irish news site, is reporting that 92 year-old Maureen O'Hara's family is claiming she's a victim of elder abuse.

Here's a link:

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Actres ... 41045.html

I do hope this all some misunderstanding and not true.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Maureen O'Hara

Post by moira finnie »

I am so sad to read this news, Mark. I truly hope it is not true and can't help wondering why this sort of situation--which may stem from miscommunications as well as tensions within a family--might be better discussed in private. I hope that the actress' daughter, Bronwyn FitzSimons Price, is able to offer her mother some help when needed, along with her extended family. If the news report is accurate, it sounds as though the Irish social worker who interviewed Maureen O'Hara found her fairly well at 92, if having a bit of a problem with her short term memory, but did not appear to have been "bullied" or abused psychologically or physically.

From what I've read prior to this news report, next month Ms. O'Hara is expected to appear at the upcoming John Ford Ireland Film Symposium (June 7-10, 2012) in Dublin as well as at her own Maureen O Hara Classic Film Festival 2012 (June 24-30) in Glengarriff in County Cork, which she has attended in the past. This event funds the Legacy Center for education she is attempting to create in her name by 2013. I'm crossing my fingers that these occasions won't prove too taxing for her and that she might enjoy doing them. I know that if many of us were anywhere near Ireland, we'd be there in a flash.

Thanks for sharing this info in any case, Mark.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Sounds like another Mickey Rooney affair. I do hope that it's not bad as it sounds as this beauty deserves the very best.
I wonder where her daughter Bronwyn is? Miss O'Hara will be in my prayers.
Joseph Goodheart
markfp

Post by markfp »

Moira, It's tough for any of us to make a judgement just from one article. A thought that came into my head was perhaps there's bad blood because Miss O'Hara's personal assistant has her power of attorney and not somebody in the family. Things like that happen all the time. I agree with you that this is the kind of thing that should be settled in private and not in the media. I guess at this point all we can do is hope that she's as well as can be expected for her age and is not being mistreated.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I understand Celeste Holm is going through this same thing with her husband (many many years her junior); her children are at odds with him. A sad sad situation...whether celebrity or plain ol' regular folks. Sad.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

An announcement on Facebook, just posted:
ANNOUNCEMENT: We are sorry to have to announce that due to circumstances beyond our control the Maureen O'Hara Classic Film Festival has been cancelled for this June 2012.
I certainly hope Ms. O'Hara is ok...
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Me too.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I hope that Maureen O'Hara's age and health are not prohibiting this venture's progress either.

Given the fact that just days ago, the actress did make a successful public appearance here, perhaps the combination of concern for her well-being and the increasingly drastic state of Ireland's fiscal position (the Irish are one of the EU countries in deep trouble) were both factors in this decision. From reports in the media in the past, the foundation that was to be funded by the film festival has been struggling for some time.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Nice article, Moira. It's nice to know that O'Hara is looking well and getting around.
Still a knockout at 91. God bless her.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I was glad to see that Maureen was steppin' out too, Joe.

Ms. O'Hara certainly sounds pretty good, even if the future of her film festival seems a bit murky just now. I believe that the actress is scheduled to appear at the John Ford Symposium in Ireland this week (info about this can be seen on Miss Goddess' wonderful John Ford site here). I'm sure she would like to go, but I hope she will do what is right for her.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This just in for those of us hoping that Maureen O'Hara is doing a bit better than earlier reports. From the TCM website:
Maureen O'Hara to Attend John Wayne Birthday Celebration
The John Wayne Birthplace is thrilled to announce that Irish-American screen legend Maureen O'Hara and her family will be joining us in Winterset, Iowa on May 24 & 25, 2013 for our annual John Wayne Birthday Celebration. O'Hara, who starred with Wayne in Rio Grande, The Quiet Man, The Wings of Eagles, McLintock! and Big Jake, considered Duke her best friend and, in this public farewell to her legions of fans, she'll discuss their life-long friendship.

The two-day event will feature all aspects of Wayne's film career including roles as/in U.S. Cavalry, cowboys, World War II and, of course, Ireland. In tribute to Miss O'Hara, this year's dinner gala will reprise many of the highlights of last year's Quiet Man celebration: music from the classic film performed by Irish songstress Catherine O'Connell; Chicago's Shannon Rovers Pipes and Drums; and world champion Irish dancers; the Fabulous McKay Sisters.

For more information, visit http://www.johnwaynebirthplace.org.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

That sounds great, Moira. She surely loved her pal John Wayne. It's a heartwarming way to bow out.
I just hope that all is well with her and she makes it there.
Joseph Goodheart
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Keep me posted on this Moira ... I'm so glad that she is able to attend it. :)
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I'm going to the John Wayne birthday celebration this year... Anyone else?
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Oh, Paula, I am so tickled you are going! This is great news. I wish I could!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor