The Advice Column

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: The Advice Column

Post by JackFavell »

I thought the ad was hysterical. Can you just see me crawling over and hugging my new vacuum? In my special Dior new look lounging gown?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I agree with Wendy, is it harder to accpet gifts as we grow older? Giving is more rewarding, when giving to someone easy to buy for but some people are so difficult to buy for, I sincerely hope your thoughtful gift is appreciated, I think priming them would be the wisest thing to do.

I had a lovely surprise today, there was a knock on the door and I opened it to find some flowers on my door step, all boxed and delivered, now English men in my experience are not romantic and my husband is practical too, so I knew it wasn't him. I haven't been out and about doing good works but ben keeping myself to myself trying to get better. So who were they from because they had my name on, it turns out they were from my Dad's cousin who lives in the Lake District, I'd sent him our Christmas card updating him on our family and he sent me this lovely bouquet, I've just had a lovely 2 hour conversation with him, just talking about family and history, it was great. To get flowers for just being me, a kindness and I was really touched.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, Alison. That's so lovely about the flowers. Thanks for the advice, too. You described my family member to a T. Must be the one who does all the giving & heaven forbid anyone should go out of their way to help this person--like it or not. I have to pick a non-emotional moment to broach the topic with this person, just to keep things on an even keel.

Too many things to do this holiday--more than usual for me:
Shopping
Baking
Cleaning
Driving
Visiting
Wrapping
Mailing
Remembering
Finishing writing a couple of posts online

I am looking forward to late this evening when things settle down a bit and I can re-group a bit mentally and spiritually. I usually opt for a much quieter Christmas.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

I was at my friends last night with anothre couple of Mums and she said she'd come to hate Christmas, not the day but everything else, everything needs to be done ir else you'll upset someone and then school gives you carol concerts and plays to attend, which are lovely but you're just dashing from one place to another to actually really sit and enjoy it fully. What she says is true but it's almost sacrilege to say it but I knew what she meant. There are people who do, which are the majority who run around trying to get everything right and then there are the one or two who moan and don't do much or make allowances for those rushed off their feet. On the day, it's great but the run up is hectic and usually virus or bug infected too. I hope we all have good festive holidays, I know my kids are goingto burst but this year Libby hasn't really asked for anything so she will be utterly surprised and I think it will be the last time that I'll be able to chose her wardrobe for her. Certainly the last year they'll believe, Libby doesn't now but I won't let her destroy Joseph's belief, not yet.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, as we age there is more and more to do, and then heaven help us just when we think we've got it down to a science we CAN'T do everything anymore... I think this is when it gets the most frustrating. And when we are ill it just makes everything so hard to deal with. I think a gentle priming is probably going to help things along greatly. And if not, well nothing is lost.

Perhaps some words about all that that person has done for you, and that everyone wants to show her/him how important she/he is to them? To give back? We are experiencing this with my mother in law, she wants to do everything and we have had to gently say how well she has taught us so we can do for her now, she has assumed the director's position, which makes her feel needed. It helps if they know that WE know the original ideas and good deeds started with them in the first place.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I was given a gift I love. A debit card! I can buy want I want, when I want it. For some, this may be a little too practical. But I'm thrilled. Nothing like a gift I really need!

I have a Holiday To Do List too.

Watch Svengoolie
Walk Sugar
Eat cookies
Eat pizza
Read A CHRISTMAS CAROL
Go see LINCOLN
Eat more cookies

Think I can handle it?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Don't forget to come to the Oasis... :D
charliechaplinfan

Yeah, that's the most important one.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm glad you brought that up. I don't have my own computer. The library will be closed Monday and Tuesday. Your old pal and giant bug fan will be offline for a couple of days. Let me wish all of you and your families a blessed and peaceful holiday right now!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Red! I hope you and Shug have a truly joyous holiday.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:I'm glad you brought that up. I don't have my own computer. The library will be closed Monday and Tuesday. Your old pal and giant bug fan will be offline for a couple of days. Let me wish all of you and your families a blessed and peaceful holiday right now!
So glad you told us. I worry sometimes when people disappear. I will be picturing you and Shug wreathed in Christmas peace, enjoying the cookies & walks together. Be as merry as you make us whenever you appear and that will be a good thing!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Have a lovely Christmas Red, a hug to Shug from me.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I can tell you what Shug wants for Christmas. Real food! The hell with this Purina crap!
charliechaplinfan

Lara will second her there, a seat at the table too, my mother will love that.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lily too, but what she really needs is a haircut. we'll see how it all goes, should be interesting.

Happy Holidays, Alison and Red!