Baby names - the more things change...

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Baby names - the more things change...

Post by JackFavell »

I thought I'd post this article, in hopes of discussion to follow.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/mo ... 22452.html
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Baby names - the more things change...

Post by movieman1957 »

My thought was always to be careful what you name your children. They are the ones that have to live with it.

For mine, I don't think Maureen is not that fond of hers but I don't think she hates it. Ian has never said anything about it. I'm not all that fond of Chris but I'm stuck.

I have a great nephew named Mason. It sure isn't a name from my side of the family.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love the names Ian and Maureen. but I like all the celt names. Are you Irish?

We have the worst family names ever. The best one is Charlotte, but apparently she was mad as a hatter. Then there were Lilian and Virginia, the grandmas, which also aren't bad, in fact, I love the name Virginia, but nowadays, you couldn't name a child that without consequences. My mother was Alice, but her sisters were Aldene, Arlene, Mildred and Bernice. :? My grandpa's name was Floyd. My other grandpa was Marvin. And it just gets worse from there....

I've always wanted to be Gwendolyn rather than Wendy.

We would have had a Christopher Tobias if we'd had a boy. I like the name, but really love the name Andrew. And Paul

Of the 2011 names, I guess I like Ethan, Liam, Alex and Benjamin for boys. For girls, I like Emma, Ava, Chloe and Samantha.

of the 1911 names, I like John, Edward and Thomas, but none of the nicknames for those, except maybe Jack. I do for some reason, like Willie!

For girls, I like Anna, Elizabeth, Catherine, Louise, Dorothy, and Alice. In fact, my daughter is named Alice Anna Elizabeth... she'd fit right in in 1911....
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I am partly Irish. The Bride is half Irish and half Italian. She has been doing my family tree and I think there is some English and German thrown in.

My father comes from a huge family. He was the youngest of what would have been 18 or so children. There were several that died during an epidemic in 1921 and others that were miscarried or still born. His name is Don. Not Donald. There is no middle name. Some of his brothers had names of Ralph, Lawrence, Robert Bruce and, of all things, Dewey. His sisters consisted of Ruth, Lee, Lydia and Mable. And those are the ones that were alive when he came along. His father's name was Porter and his mother Eliza.

I have a cousin named Ernestine and another that had the first name Ada. She never used it. I think that came from the other side of the family.

The Bride's family has suffered from a lack of originality. Her father's side has for some time flipped Francis Joseph to Joseph Francis. A lot of the Italian side of her family use Sam and Joe and Frank.

My first name is Joel and I do think the whole name has a nice sound to it but I used to hate it but I like it better now.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like all those names, except for maybe Ernestine. :D

I really love Lawrence and Robert Bruce. they sound so classically heroic. I also love the name Porter.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

My name is actually Lawrence, but so is my father; so instead of being called "Junior", which is offensive, I think, I went with the nickname 'Larry'.......

I like the names Gregory, Christopher, Geoffrey, Anthony and Benedict for boys;
and Carolyn, Eleanor, Laura, Lillian and Norma for girls.
All not now used much; which makes it nice to be unique, I think......

I was once engaged to an Ardis, a Greek name... She was killed in traffic accident in 1980.

Also, I was once in love with a girl named Adele, which I still like as a name.
And also, I have dated women named Doreen, Alma and Veronica, so they are nice too!

Names I would not care to name children are: Rudolph, Rupert or Gertrude....

Here's a fact I once read on line somewhere - - triplets in Alabama named Eudora, Eulalia and Eudoxia!!!!! That's just wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Here's a fact I once read on line somewhere - - triplets in Alabama named Eudora, Eulalia and Eudoxia!!!!! That's just wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vecchiolarry ... That's would be a mouthful trying to tell people the names of your children to other family members and friends. Wow, and I agree with you that's just wrong too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Call me old fashioned but I like traditional names, Libby is Elizabeth Alice, Joe is Joseph Victor, hubby is Christopher James, I like all these names and I'm plain Alison, it's very seventies but I was dying and Mum had to decide quickly my name and confirmation name, Theresa.

My Mum is Maureen, my father is Francis Conal, a bit of a family story here, being strict Catholics my Grandmother wanted Conal as a name insisting that it was an Irish saint butthe priest wouldn't have it, so they had to add the Francis, after the priest realised he'd been wrong. My mother went to the church as Pauline but my grandfather changed her name in church to Maureen, the mothers didn't go to church in those days until they had been 'churched' and babies had to be christened straight away, Grandma found out on the return from her baptism that her babies name had changed. My grandfather wanted his own way and once she'd been baptised he'd got it. My Mum's brother is Alan, my Dad's sister is Ruth.

Both my Grandmas were Alice, both are dead now and I'd have loved to have called Libby Alice but it's too close to Alison which she gets anyway because she's like me. My Grandad's were called Thomas Victor and Leonard. Chris's parents are Anne and Denis and his Grandparents are Joseph, Annie, Cecil and Winnie.

I love names but it was hard enough to name the dog (Lara) the cats (Claude, Charlie and Molly) Chris had always wanted a girl called Elizabeth and it was one of my favourites but I also liked Grace, Claudia, Sophia and Nancy. A boy was harder to name because all our friends seemed to have boys and had taken lots of our favourite names, Daniel, Thomas, Jack, Luke and Matthew, the only name we agreed on was Joseph and my Grandad Victor died a couple of months before I was born and he was so well loved and such a generous man with a generous spirit, it seemed a gift to Joseph to give him that name too.

I love talking names.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin