Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Chit-chat, current events
pvitari

Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Post by pvitari »

Today (Sept. 19) is Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Avast me hearties!

YARRRRRR!

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

Who is YOUR favorite movie pirate?

This is mine. :)

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Post by movieman1957 »

Dread Pirate Robert - The Princess Bride.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Morgan (Timothy Carey) in THE BOY AND THE PIRATES and The Sea Captain (Billy Gilbert) in SHIVER MY TIMBERS (Our Gang short).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Captain Blood (1935)
Starring Errol Flynn, Directed by Michael Curtis

This movie is pure brilliance it the first time that Flynn and director Michael Curtis (he replaces Donat) and what Flynn and Curtis did in this movie was unbelievable back in those days. I love this movie and it was epic, dashing, adventurous, and somewhat methodical in some ways more than one. One of the most memorable scenes from Captain Blood features Flynn, in the heat of battle, using a dagger to slice to a mainsail, slowing his descent from the crow’s nest to the the carnage of a heated boarding party below. This image, like so many other in the movie, helped to invent the swashbuckling genre of pirate films in Hollywood. In that scene alone ... set the standards for Pirates movies for decades to come.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

HOWDY! I mean, aye aye maties. I'm not sure why we're doing this, but if Paula says so...I'm game:

ImageImageImage

I must have seen "SWASHBUCKLER" five times at Radio City Music Hall. I thought it was fantastic!!! Yeah...yeah. I'm a day late, but I had to do my Hitchcock thing first! Harrrrrrr!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I want to know who decided it would be National Talk Like A Pirate Day.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Polly want a cracker!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

using a dagger to slice to a mainsail, slowing his descent

A trick blatantly copied by Burt Lancaster in THE CRIMSON PIRATE! As for my favorite, do buccaneers count? I like Geoffrey Thorpe in Curtiz' wonderful THE SEA HAWK. And Fredric March makes a dashing Jean Lafitte in Demille's THE BUCANEER. Much better than Yul Brynner in the same role.
norfious

Post by norfious »

Yarr, I must agree with pvitari on the best movie pirate! Captain Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean comes in second.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

T, I watched that movie every time it was on cable...Robert Shaw was INCREDIBLE...when he came sailing across the deck on that rope....wow!!!!! :shock:

Second up is Flynn in Captain Blood, then :oops: :oops: Johnny Depp in the first and second of his pirate movies.

Chris, it was on the Disney Facebook Page, "talk like a pirate day".
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]MR.[/u] [u]ARKADIN[/u] wrote:A Jacques Tourneur film I have not seen, but now long to see. Great post CM. You need to visit more often and stay for tea (or a cup of grog). 9/21/2009 - 8:48AM
It took a reminder from Mr. A, about another pirate film I love. I wrote this post three years ago today in fact! Check it out if you care to:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =28&t=3643

THE BEAUTIFUL AND FIERY JEAN PETERS in "ANNE OF THE INDIES."

Yes Knitty, I was very taken by Robert Shaw in "SWASHBUCKLER" myself. I also liked the fact that his band of thieves was very diverse. I haven't seen the movie in years and years. Would love to check it out again. Funny how that film was the FIRST to come to mind even WITH all of Errol Flynn's adventures swirling in my libido head.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

Errol Flynn as the title character in Captain Blood. His portrayal raised the bar for portrayals of pirates of the dashing, heroic type, and swashbuckling heroes in general. It also led to him getting more swashbuckling roles, which he played equally well.

Some of my other favorites include:

Errol Flynn as Geoffrey Thorpe in The Sea Hawk. There's a reason that Errol Flynn's name is almost synonymous with swashbuckling adventure heroes. Few could come close to portraying them as well, and few were lucky enough to be directed by a director as great as Michael Curtiz. The Sea Hawk is yet another great swashbuckler, right up there with Captain Blood.

Charlton Heston as Long John Silver in Treasure Island (1990). At one time, I thought of Robert Newton's portrayal of Long John Silver as simply the best there ever would be. He couldn't be beaten - no way, no how. Then I saw the 1990 version. Charlton Heston may be known mostly for playing saintly roles, but he was a versatile actor who was great at playing all sorts of characters, including some vile ones. In my opinion, his portrayal of Silver is better than even Robert Newton's. His portrayal is grounded and believable, yet larger than life. He's vile, yet oddly sympathetic. He captured every element of the character perfectly.

Robert Newton as Long John Silver in Treasure Island (1950). As great as Charlton Heston's portrayal is, Robert Newton's is still great, and is probably the most influential portrayal of a pirate in film history. The "pirate talk" that we now take for granted was popularized by him (although the exclamation "arrrr!" can be traced back at least as far as Lionel Barrymore).

Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow - er, excuse me, that's Captain Jack Sparrow, and Geoffrey Rush as Hector Barbossa, both from Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. Johnny Depp's portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow was something new and unique. Nothing like it had ever been seen before. And even though Captain Jack is rather weird, it's hard not to like him. Barbossa is a less original character, very reminiscent of of Robert Newton's Long John Silver, but Geoffrey Rush's performance is as impressive as Depp's.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Heston was a better actor than some give him credit for. When I was a kid, he was my absolute fave.

I'll concede it's just me. But I see nothing whatsoever to like in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN. One of the most popular movies in recent years. Does nothing for me.
hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

RedRiver wrote:Heston was a better actor than some give him credit for. When I was a kid, he was my absolute fave.
I agree. I think it's mostly because a lot of people know him only from a few of his movies, such as The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur, and think that he was only capable of playing that one particular type of character.

I'll concede it's just me. But I see nothing whatsoever to like in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN. One of the most popular movies in recent years. Does nothing for me.
Oddly enough, that's what I thought my reaction to it would be, but I wound up liking it (the first one, that is, I don't care for the sequels).