Richard III remains confirmed

Chit-chat, current events
Maricatrin

Re: Richard III remains confirmed

Post by Maricatrin »

RedRiver wrote:I even like it when Basil Rathbone does it as Sherlock Holmes!
It was a highpoint in the series!
[youtube][/youtube]

Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon (1942) is my favorite of the Holmes vs. the Nazis films. Not just due to the ending speech, though. :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

John of Gaunt, I've now finished reading the book on Katherine Swnyford and I like them both even more. John of Gaunt could have made a powerful dynastic match even in his mid fifties but he chose to marry the mother of his illegitimate children and made them legitimate. He must have loved her through all the years and Katherine herself behaved with such dignity through troubling times. From these children descended not only the royal line of England but Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the George Bushes and Diana Spencer amongst others.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

In productions of Shakespeare's play, Gaunt is usually portrayed as a frail, old man. In other words, GAUNT! I like that.
charliechaplinfan

I don't think he was ever frail, well possibly only in his very last days. He held so much land and had a deserved reputation as a diplomat and a force to be reckoned with. Richard II makes Richard III seem tame, he didn't imprison any children but apart from standing up to Watt Tyler when he was a boy, it's hard to defend him. I bet there is a revisionist/alternative view on Richard II out there somewhere but I've never read it. Richard I wasn't a great king either, spent too much money crusading abroad. Note to William and Kate, if you have a boy, Richard isn't the most auspicious name to use for the heir.

Has anyone here ever read Anya Seton's Katherine? Charlton Heston was set to play John of Gaunt (that very British actor) but the story was deemed too racy to film in the 50s. It's a good story, no problem with censorship today, it would look tame compared to some things that cross our screen.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Shakespeare's play does focus on Gaunt's last days. He's dying. I may be wrong about the image of frailty. (Certainly not a description of Charlton Heston!) I thought I saw something that gave me that impression. It made me think (mere speculation on my part) The Bard had turned the name into an allegory. "I don't care if it's true. I'm Shakespeare!"
charliechaplinfan

John of Gaunt married 3 times, first to Blanche of Lancaster, a love match and mother of Henry IV then to Constance of Castille, he wanted to claim the Castillian throne for his wife but whilst the war with France carried on there was never enough funds and eventually he married Katherine Synford the mother of 4 of his b****** children, the Beauforts which were then made legitimate and through them came Henry VII's crown (although he was related in other ways it is this claim through the Beauforts that is most often cited). He was so dominant and virile through much of his life but as Richard II grew into adulthood his power and health diminished. I've never seen or read Richard II although I've heard it's a very good play.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I am far from an expert, but I think RICHARD III is a better drama. I'm just partial to that great speech of Gaunt's!
charliechaplinfan

Oh my goodness, I had no idea I'd typed a naughty word, it looks so funny.

I do know the speech of John of Gaunt, isn't it funny how parts of plays stick in your head but not the whole thing? Shakespeare somewhat skewed the image of Richard III or did he? I'm not sure anymore.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think we'll never know. But he wasn't infallible. Look at how he portrays Joan of Arc...
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Hmm...I haven't come across Joan of Arc in Shakespeare. To be honest, I didn't know he wrote of her.
charliechaplinfan

Joan or Arc coincided with Henry VI's reign, not our finest hour but he was still a boy. Unfortunately once he became a man there was no such excuse for how he ruled his kingdom, thankfully for us, he was deposed.