Richard III remains confirmed

Chit-chat, current events
hbenthow

Re: Richard III remains confirmed

Post by hbenthow »

moirafinnie wrote:This just in from the BBC:

Based on the skull found, there is a reconstruction of how Richard III may have looked and the familiar portrait of the king:
ImageImage
That is positively amazing.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

knitty just seeing his actual face, which is so close to our image of him in some ways, is uncanny.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Is it just me? Am I just one of those people who have to make some sort of connection between totally unrelated things, concepts, idea, or faces?
This is the reconstructed countenance of Richard III, found under a reserved car park parking space marked with a large R for reserved, according to a report I saw on CNN.

A pirate only needs an X to mark the spot to find the treasure, but these are the bones of a king, so it might as well have been the big crossed palms in the shape of a W from It's A Mad, Mad, Mad World. (I always worry if I put enough Mads in there.)

Does anyone see any resemblance between the Richard III reconstruction AND actor Richard Carlson, famous for King Solomon's Mines, It Came From Outer Space, and Creature From the Black Lagoon?
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

And I saw Leslie Howard.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

My word, Sue Sue, I see it!

( By the way, I believe it takes four Mads. Robert seems to count it out when he says the title: "It's a Mad...Mad...Mad-Mad World." )
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

:-)
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Wendy, you mention FDR had I was brouht up quite sharply when watching The Dustbowl because even though I know he was disabled, I don't see it in my mind and to see some of the footage of him, holding onto someone whilst giving a speech and coming down a ramp, I don't know why I was surprised but I guess it's because I see him like Churchill, one of the best and most indominatable leaders you've ever had. The fact he was disabled just didn't come into the equation.

Looking at the portrait and reconstruction of Richard III one can see how the posthumous portrait painter twsited his features to make him look sinister. And of course apart from the portrait the other stock footage that has been used to highlight Richard is Laurence Olivier's portrayal and he was an actor who didn't under play deformities.

It's rare for anything to come on TV programme wise that I make an effort to watch but it was great on Monday to know that this was coming on and watching it it really was a case of fact being stranger than fiction.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I love Olivier's Richard. The movie is not terribly exciting, but it's some fine Shakespearean acting.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

I was discussing the remains of Richard III yesterday with some of my freshman English classes. None of them had heard the expression " A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse." So I had to enlighten them! :lol:

And the irony of him being found underneath a reserved parking spot with a large R painted in the middle!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I asked my daughter if she had ever heard that expression either, and she said no. But she's 12! There are huge gaps in kids education nowadays, to me it's frightening. Those who don't know history ....
charliechaplinfan

That R on the parking spot, R for reserved, no, it was R for Richard! And the lady who had done the research knew when she stood there. It's unbelievable.

libby has really enjoyed the news, I've been able to relate Shakespeare back to her, he wrote for the Tudors (initially) like our newspapers today support one or other political party. She got it, she's a good girl, she has a real interest in history. She's never heard any quotes though.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's a great explanation of how history gets written by the victors, too. Alice is old enough now to understand that.

I thought it was amazing that the woman who had the premonition literally backed up her feeling with fundraising to get the excavation done. She just KNEW.

I talked to our new neighbor, Lynn from Dorset, and we had a nice conversation about British royalty and how our perceptions of them are so skewed, especially in America. She's a huge Henry the VIII fan, not so sure about Richard though, and his role in history.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

We read HAMLET in high school. Every time one of the famous quotes came up, kids broke out in laughter. Where did they think it came from? My only problem with the Tudor line is John, who pitched for the Cardinals in the 1980's. Not a fan!
charliechaplinfan

I really don't like Henry VIII, I'd put him down as the worse king we had but admittedly it's my passion about things getting the better of my rational judgement. He did start off as a promising king and you could say he sorted out the wealth of the church but he didn't give it to the people he kept it for himself. He was a big character and that helped him be secure on his throne BUT he beheaded two of his wives on made up charges, divorce being no further use to him. He made two of children bastards. He raided the monasteries, these often being the only places that poor people could apply for alms or food and he was selfish and gluttonous through and through. why on earth does your neighbour like him so much Wendy? The best I can say for him is he's not boring. (Chris has a much higher opinion than me but he's not a woman and not a Catholic)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am not sure, I believe she thinks he's got a worse reputation than he deserves, and that perhaps he was led down wrong paths by advisors, though I am not quite sure that was what she was getting at. I didn't get too far into the conversation, and I don't know the woman well. I've only talked to her once before, so her opinions are not something I can weigh properly. She could simply be a stupid woman spouting off with no real knowledge for all I know. :D I'll be curious to talk to her again.

I think Henry Tudor could be considered a 'worst' king. He took the throne with exceedingly little claim, then raided the pockets of his people to the point of reducing them to beggary and prison life while stuffing his coffers full of riches. Did he enhance England's situation in any way?