Science Marches On!

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Science Marches On!

Post by moira finnie »

Do you have an interest in flora, fauna, physics, chemistry and biology? Here's a spot to kick around the latest confusing poppycock NEWS from the world of science.

I hate math, but maybe there's still hope for me based on a nugget of info that caught the attention of this Math-challenged dummy. I always claim that part of the beef between me and numbers was the insistence of half of my teachers on drumming into our skulls "the new math," while later on, the instructors reverted to long division and other earmarks of "the old math." As a result of all this--and a couple of teachers whose theorems and logarithms became exponentially more arcane--I have sometimes been known to perform calculations with my shoes off and twenty toes as part of the equation. And no, we didn't have any stinkin' calculators to work with in school after "we walked ten miles to school barefoot in the snow, by cracky!"

I wonder if I can get a reservation to be the next guinea pig in line for the electrodes mentioned in this NPR report from Britain?:

A Small Shock To The System May Help Brain With Math
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Re: Science Marches On!

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I hate math too, Moira and believe me ... I still use the calculator to figure things out - believe me, I will be lost without one!