Commentary Tracks

Chit-chat, current events
Lucky Vassall

Commentary Tracks

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Mentioning the two great commentaries on the Criterion “Four Hundred Blows” (one by cinema historian Brian Stonehill; the other by Robert Lachenay, Truffaut’s lifelong friend and the very real source of Antoine’s friend, Rene) got me thinking about Commentary Tracks in general.

I listen to every one I can get my hands on. Approximately one-third are d r e a d f u l ! Another third, simply a waste of time. It is the other third that includes gems, such as the two mentioned above, that greatly increase the enjoyment of the film. For example, I was surprised at how much I learned from Roger Ebert’s contribution to “Citizen Kane.” I really thought I knew everything there was to know about that masterpiece, especially after reading Pauline Kael’s wonderful “The Citizen Kane Book.” But Roger provided many new facts for me, starting with the location of the light in the opening shot.

It occurred to me that it might be nice to have a place where we can share discoveries of great (and dreadful) commentaries.

My candidates:

Let’s get dreadful out of the way first. I’ve never suffered more than through director Mimi Leder‘s commentary on her dreadful film of the dreadful book, “Pay It Forward.” If I had a nickle for every time she told me the indoor and outdoor scenes at the house were filmed at different locations, weeks apart . . .

Better news on my candidate as the very best commentary I’ve ever discovered. I strongly recommend Douglas McGrath’s commentary for his version of “Nicholas Nickleby.” Besides actually explaining many of the things a director has to set up to achieve his goals, McGrath presented his comments so well that it was as if he was reading from a time-checked script. Only once does he refer to a scene that takes place later, and then only to explain the reason the two scenes were filmed the way the were, something you might not notice in the initial viewing but that makes a big difference in how you respond to each of the scenes. In total, his commentary is a master class in the art of directing. Listen to it. You won’t be disappointed.

Hope others have candidates to offer.
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Commentary Tracks

Post by movieman1957 »

I like the commentary Maureen O'Hara gives on the awful print of "The Quiet Man." Jimmy Stewart does an interesting one on an old DVD of "Winchester '73." Scott Eyman does a really interesting one on "My Darling Clementine."

I agree some are a total waste of time. It turns into a party for the commentators and they hardly talk about the movie. They can also spend a lot of time talking about themselves.

Tell me about the movie and others in the picture.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

movieman1957 wrote:I like the commentary Maureen O'Hara gives on the awful print of "The Quiet Man." Jimmy Stewart does an interesting one on an old DVD of "Winchester '73." Scott Eyman does a really interesting one on "My Darling Clementine."

I agree some are a total waste of time. It turns into a party for the commentators and they hardly talk about the movie. They can also spend a lot of time talking about themselves.

Tell me about the movie and others in the picture.
Thanks for the quick response, mm, you've given me a few to look for. Seems to me Maureen also had some nice comments on "How Green Was My Valley."

As for the bad ones, the minute they decide to have more than two commentators together, I lose all hope. On the other hand, the "funniest " commentary was Cameron Crowe''s on "Almost Famous." He brought along two other members of his team. And his mother. It ended up as a dialogue between mom and son, with the other two rarely getting a word in. Actually, that probably helped, since they did say some interesting things about the picture and there wasn't the usual two speaking at the same time problem.

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Sometimes one is no fun. Recently I was watching a disc of "Gunsmoke" episodes and was surprised to find Peter Graves had directed one and they got him to do a commentary for it. It was about half way interesting. While he did share some fun facts about his childhood with Jim and a comments on some of the cast I was looking for a little more. That may be own issue.

The Stewart commentary on "Winchester '73" was helped by someone interviewing Stewart. It helped him stay focused. I haven't heard a commentary on "Valley."

I'll usually stick with them awhile but if they get away from the film too much I'm done.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I hardly ever listen to them. I'm not opposed to the concept. I just don't feel like devoting the time to it. After watching the movie once, I'd just as soon watch another movie! I did listen to some comments on PINEAPPLE EXPRESS, as a friend of mine is in it. Seth Rogan says, "I love this. This guy's a great actor; really talented. So he walks in the door and they shoot him!" That was exactly how I recated!

Mimi Leder‘s commentary on her dreadful film of the dreadful book, “Pay It Forward.”

They should have gotten me to do the commentary. "As you are watching this trash, I assume you're either bored, being punished, or you've lost a bet." This is simply one of the worst movies I've seen.

Lucky, this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

RedRiver wrote:Lucky, this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!
We'll always have Paris.

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]