This Is the END

Chit-chat, current events
ChiO

Re: This Is the END

Post by ChiO »

I call the motion: Ro, you must see LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN.

Then post here (don't peek ahead if you wish to start with a blank slate).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

JackFavell wrote:I really don't know if it counts as a Too Good For This World character, but the innocent daughter's horrible death in The Virgin Spring sets up the entire movie, leading to another (maybe) innocent Too Good For This World death....

Sorry for being kind of vague in my description of this particular movie, but it troubled me greatly and I watched it through my fingers as I hid my face. It's the only Bergman film I've watched all the way through perhaps because he picks such frightening (to me) human subject matter.
Jack, do give his Fanny and Alexander a try. It's definitely Bergman's most reachable film.

Contains a few deaths, too. Fanny and Alexander's father dies of a heart attack, probably #7 Ripe Old Age, although he wasn't ancient. Then there's the Pastor. Hard to rate that one, might well be put in #2 Too Rotten, for beating Alexander and then forcing him to kiss his hand and apologize, or it could go in #16 Natural Disaster/Act of God. Some might even put it in #17 Divine Retribution.

Then there's people like me who would like to see it in a category of it's own: Helped Along by a Long Distance Communication." (You'll have to watch it to get that one.)

Best of all, it's not at all hard to follow, unlike his The Seventh Seal, which by the way fits nicely in Ro's new category #21 The Death Star!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lucky, I tried Fanny and Alexander when it first came out on video, some years ago. I watched for awhile, thinking how wonderfully Bergman captured the time period, and how richly charming the film was at capturing childhood, and then... it got really disturbing quite suddenly and I couldn't handle it. I never finished the film, and it's taken me this long to get back to trying to watch Bergman. I decided to watch The Virgin Spring, since it was on TCM a few months ago, thinking that I didn't give Bergman a fair shake. Of course, that film is quite disturbing as well, pretty early in the picture. Perhaps some day I will be able to overcome my aversion to innocence raped and watch some more of his films. :D I'm thinking maybe Wild Strawberries might be my next try...I really love Victor Sjostrom which may help me get through it. Please don't tell me anything about it... I prefer going in without knowing too much, aside from what I've read in film books about the plot. Maybe if I steel myself, I will be mature enough now to handle whatever Bergman throws at me. :D
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Wish I could be that way, Jack. Once I start watching, I have to stay with it to the bitter (sometimes poisoned) end. Oh, the horrors I've endured!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Jaxxon, I like the idea that you would try, and try again.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you, Maven! Bergman is considered a great genius, and I want to be able to appreciate him properly. I am sure the lack is in me, rather than him. The truth is, his violence which comes out of the blue in the most innocent of settings, well, it frightens me beyond anything that a horror movie might show me. He's so darn cold blooded in his directing. And that's a good thing, it's just not something I can take very easily.
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Thanks again everyone for your kind comments on my "silly" list. :D I have to confess to you that this thread has surpassed all my wildest expectations. ha. I never dreamed we'd find so many good examples and so many fun things to discuss about what I USUALLY consider to be such an "un-funny" topic. ha. Those of you who know me well know that I have a pretty specific set of opinions on the implications of death and dying (at least with regard to the eternal aspects of things) so ha.. it is not so "usual" for me to be so light-hearted about such a topic. But having said that.. it's been fun. So thanks for playing along. :)
JackFavell wrote:It's a Wonderful afterlife... hahahahaha! Ro - you slay me!

Ha.. well this IS the "Death" thread after all. :D
JackFavell wrote:I'm watching Les Visiteurs du Soir right now... I think it goes in the It's a Wonderful Afterlife category, though the afterlife in this movie is anything but wonderful, since the main characters have sold their souls to the devil. I'll let you know what category it ends up in when I'm done watching it.
:D

Hmmmm. Maybe we should revise my title for that category and call it # 27 It's A Wonderful Afterlife... SOMETIMES ha. (that way.. we can cover both the pleasant and not so pleasant aspects of eternity).

And your mention of the devil (and deal-making) made me think of The Devil and Daniel Webster.. ha. So I am thinking we need add a category for those who somehow manage to break those deals.. or cheat death somehow. How about #28 Deal or NO Deal

ChiO says:
I call the motion: Ro, you must see LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN

Ha.. well now how in the WORLD can I refuse such a mandate! Ha. I went googling around to see if I could turn it up.. and I am happy to report that I was able to find it on youtube (cleverly hidden I might add.. ha. The title is in Spanish.. but the movie is in English.. whew. I was worried that I might have to get out my Spanish English/English Spanish dictionary just to watch.)

I started it last night and Miss Maven, you are right.. it is a great suggestion for The Talking Dead" category. ha. Also looks like maybe it will be a good "tragic heroine" one too.. but will have to see because I had to give up after about a third of the way into the story, and have not finished it yet. (Bah! what can I say... I am getting old and it was late and I was having a hard time staying awake (no reflection on the story.. just on my old feeble eyelids not wanting to stay open) So I will hope to finish the rest of it soon and then will try to report in where you suggested.

But... um.. ha..you may not want to read it. (gulp)

Because alas.. I must confess.. Miss Maven.. Miss G.. Ms Favell.. I am already worried. I fear I may have a different take on poor Lisa, already. (we'll see how the story plays out.. I am hoping for a turn around for me.. but OH me.. based on what I saw already.. ha. THAT girl needs some parental counseling) ha. :D

In the meantime.. I am "bumping" the list so I don't have to scroll back so far to keep up. Ha. we are up to so many categories I can't even remember them all myself.

1) Too Good for this World (with the subheading for young innocents)
2) Too Rotten to live /Just Desserts (with the new subheadings for "He-Man Woman Haters" and "Miss Havisham's School for Girls) ha.
3)Ultimate Sacrifice
4) Tragic Hero/Heroine
5) Repentant Bad Guy
6) Doomed by Fate or Circumstance
7) Ripe Old Age,
8 ) Crazed Loonies
9) Death as Comedic Relief,
10) Too STUPID to live,
#11 Wrong Place/Wrong Time
12) War Casualties,
13) Wrongful Prosecution/Mob Violence,
14) Gone but not Forgotten (for all the ghosts, zombies, vampires, etc)
15) The Unseen Dead (for those who die off screen, or before the story begins,
16) Natural Disaster/Acts of God
#17 Divine Retribution.
#18 Mostly Dead (for characters you THINK have died, but somehow manage to pull through)
#19Murder Most Foul (with two subheadings.. The Marriage Clause, and Murder by Mistaken Identity)
#20 The Talking Dead (aka dead narrators)
#21 The Death Star (movies with "Death" is a character)
#22 Some Animals WERE harmed in the making of THIS movie
#23 Monsters, Aliens, and/or other-worldly creatures
#24 Eternal Red Tape (for stories like Heaven Can Wait or Here Comes Mr. Jordan, etc)
#25JUST Kidding (for the faked death.. with a subheading of "NOPE STILL DEAD" for those who trick someone into thinking a dead person is still alive, ala Vertigo)
#26 Death Warmed Over (for stories like DOA)
#27 It's a Wonderful Afterlife... SOMETIMES (for films like The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, or other stories where Death is just the beginning)
#28 Deal or NO Deal (for stories like The Devil and Daniel Webster.. where contracts are made.. and made to be broken)
:D
Last edited by rohanaka on February 19th, 2014, 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Finished Les Visiteurs du Soir... DEFINITELY in the Deal or No Deal column. Ro, if you can find this one, I think you would absolutely LOVE it.

As for Letter from an Unknown Woman, I don't think there's a right or wrong way to view Lisa. It's very much reliant on what you bring to the movie. I think that's one of the most amazing aspects of the film.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

#6 DOOMED BY FATE OR CIRCUMSTANCE

Last edited by CineMaven on February 19th, 2014, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

hmmm.. not Too Good for this World, I'm pretty sure. :D

I think maybe Doomed by Fate?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ooooh, I like that. Thanx Jaxxxon. I'll add that. In the meantime...I'll be waiting to read Ro's thoughts on "Letter From An Unknown Woman." I'll be waiting here. Be there or be square.

Re: "...Contessa" what a cruel twist of fate that Rosanno Brazzi is 'injured.' He's so gorgeous!!! :oops:
Last edited by CineMaven on February 19th, 2014, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

JackFavell wrote:Finished Les Visiteurs du Soir... DEFINITELY in the Deal or No Deal column. Ro, if you can find this one, I think you would absolutely LOVE it.
Hey... its on youtube! (ha.. but I will have to get out my French English/English French dictionary for this one! ha) Wish me luck.

Meanwhile.. That is what I love about threads like this.. I can get so many great suggestions for new movies to watch.

And RE: Lisa.. ha. I feel better after reading your comment here. (I do so hate those "lonely mountain top" moments when I have to "post against popular opinion".. ha.. like my Rip and Vance ordeal we had over in Westerns at TCM.. HA) Did I ever mention how much I appreciate everyone putting up with me for so long?? :lol:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[color=#0000FF]rohanaka[/color] wrote:And RE: Lisa.. ha. I feel better after reading your comment here. (I do so hate those "lonely mountain top" moments when I have to "post against popular opinion".. ha.. like my Rip and Vance ordeal we had over in Westerns at TCM.. HA) Did I ever mention how much I appreciate everyone putting up with me for so long?? :lol:
Oh Ro. On mountaintops no one can hear you scream. Bring reinforcements...and your convictions. Come here when you're ready. It's safe. :)

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Just thought of one of the---for me---most heartbreaking deaths---Elizabeth Taylor in THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS. How would it be categorized, though? It's not "Too Good/Innocent" because she had her faults and made mistakes...it wasn't "fate" because how she died was rather needless and due to a terrible lapse on husband Van Johnson's part (part of why it's so sad).

[youtube][/youtube]
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers