Sex Change

Chit-chat, current events
Fossy

Sex Change

Post by Fossy »

Sex Change

In my younger days there were actors, who were all male and there were actresses who were all female.
It now seems that, except at Oscar time, actresses are now called actors.

For instance, in SSO, Red River, referring to females used the word “actors”.

On youtube, Jamie Lee Curtis called herself an “actor”,

TV news services seem always to use the term “actor” when referring to females. TV talk shows use the word “actor” when introducing females.

As a male I must confess that I find actresses much more pleasing to the eye.
But I wonder, When did this sex change take place.
knitwit45

Re: Sex Change

Post by knitwit45 »

kingrat wrote:I believe the Screen Actors Guild even has a "Best Female Actor" award. Not an elegant phrase, but that's what actresses--oops, "female actors"--want these days.
KR, you have expressed what is so sadly missing today: Elegance. We see or hear about the latest warts, instead of seeing the glamor and elegance of yesterday.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I agree with much of what Masha has to say and would like to add that, as society evolves there is less need/desire to distinguish practitioners of a given craft as male or female. When was the last time you heard a woman referred to as a lady-doctor or lady-lawyer? And if you're old enough, you may recall a time when there were poetesses and sculptresses among us. Nowadays, we're fine referring to doctors, lawyers, poets, and sculptors without needing to differentiate linguistically along gender lines. So, I think it's time for the term 'actress' to join their ranks.

When it comes to performing arts awards that are given to best male and female performances, such as for singers and actors, then of course we need a way to distinguish. Just as music awards are given to best male vocalist and best female vocalist, acting awards can be given to best male actor and best female actor.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

What about best supporting actor?
Joseph Goodheart
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

mongoII wrote:What about best supporting actor?
Depends on the sex of the performer he's supporting!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lucky Vassall wrote:

How about best male supporting actor and best female supporting actor ... that's should cover it.
Professional Tourist

Rita Hayworth wrote:
Lucky Vassall wrote:
How about best male supporting actor and best female supporting actor ... that's should cover it.
For the Oscars, the category is actor/actress in a supporting role. So, similar to what RH proposed, it can be called male/female actor in a supporting role.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Professional Tourist wrote: For the Oscars, the category is actor/actress in a supporting role. So, similar to what RH proposed, it can be called male/female actor in a supporting role.
And then along comes a Supporting "Actor" like Linda Hunt or Jaye Davidson to really stir up the pot.
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Professional Tourist

Lucky Vassall wrote:
Professional Tourist wrote: For the Oscars, the category is actor/actress in a supporting role. So, similar to what RH proposed, it can be called male/female actor in a supporting role.
And then along comes a Supporting "Actor" like Linda Hunt or Jaye Davidson to really stir up the pot.
Not at all, it would be done the same way as now. If, for example, Linda Hamilton would previously have been nominated for best actress in a supporting role, then the new designation would be best female actor in a supporting role -- the gender description is equivalent.

People just need time to adjust to a more gender-inclusive way of thinking and of using language. We've been making those adjustments for decades now, with more to come. If we don't need gender-specific ways to refer to dancers, singers, musicians, painters, writers, directors, editors, designers, then we don't need it for actors either. 'Actress' is a linguistic artifact akin to 'sculptress,' 'poetess,' and 'comedienne' which I believe will fall more and more into disuse.
Professional Tourist

Masha wrote:I believe that there may come a day when such designations as male actor or female actor may not be sufficient.

[. . .]

the actor may be a physiological male in early scenes and specifics of both sexes in middle scenes and physiological female in last scenes.

I believe a determination would have to be made re: their categorization prior to any nominations or voting as the actor would be at a handicap if some might vote them as best male actor in supporting role and others might vote them as best female actor in supporting role and this would cause the actor to lose because the votes were divided so.
Although this is interesting, it is not a caveat to the matter and hand. If the terms "male actor" and "female actor" would not fit a special case like this, then "actor" and "actress" would not fit either. It's not really a linguistic issue, but one of physiology. The Academy would have to determine how to nominate performers who were in the process of transgendering. [But if they have already transitioned before their film begins shooting, then I think they would be counted as their new reassigned gender.]
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

All interesting comments, but perhaps I am old fashioned. I still believe that an actress who calls herself (or allows herself to be called) an actor is ashamed of being female. Likewise I believe a married woman who allows herself to be addressed as Ms is ashamed of her husband.

Of course there will be differing opinions, but that is just what I believe.
Professional Tourist

Fossy wrote:All interesting comments, but perhaps I am old fashioned. I still believe that an actress who calls herself (or allows herself to be called) an actor is ashamed of being female.
Yes, opinions will vary, but I'm surprised that you see shame at a factor for women who prefer (or accept) gender-inclusive terms.

If you can remember back a few decades, when it was less common for men to become registered nurses, they were generally referred to as 'male nurses'. This phrase has since fallen into disuse and 'male nurse' has mostly been dropped. Do you feel that a man who is an RN who calls himself or allows himself to be called a 'nurse' rather than a 'male nurse' is ashamed of being male?