The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

The end of an era

Chit-chat, current events

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

markfp

The end of an era

Postby markfp » August 16th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Although I haven't seen a formal announcement, the word is circulating, from those in the know, that the soon to be released 2015 edition of LEONARD MALTIN'S MOVIE GUIDE will be the last one. :( I have many reference books, but his yearly MOVIE GUIDE and in more resent years his CLASSIC MOVIE GUIDE have always been may first choice when checking out a film that I wasn't familiar with. Like with any author or critic, I don't always agree with every one of his reviews, but I appreciate and respect the decades of hard work he and his staff have put into this yearly publication. It will be missed by many.

RedRiver

Re: The end of an era

Postby RedRiver » August 16th, 2014, 5:09 pm

I used to refer constantly to books of that nature. When I got internet access, I found them less vital. Plus, the more information they include, the smaller the print. They should sell them with magnifying glasses, at a higher price to cover the cost. Maybe they do!

movieman1957
Administrator

Postby movieman1957 » August 16th, 2014, 7:18 pm

I have one of his books from 2003. I have one by another author from 1988. The older has some movies not in the newer. They are both invaluable.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Lucky Vassall

Postby Lucky Vassall » August 16th, 2014, 10:12 pm

markfp wrote:LEONARD MALTIN.... Like with any author or critic, I don't always agree with every one of his reviews

I, too, still depend on him for fast answers. My favorite review of his, and one he most certainly got right, was when he was doing oral reviews on Entertainment Tonight. In total:

"Transylvania 6-5000

Transylvania 6-5000

Transylvania 6-5000

Stinks!"
AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."

Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943)

:–)—
Pinoc-U-no(se)

Return to “General Chat”