Finally made it!

Chit-chat, current events
Sepiatone

Finally made it!

Post by Sepiatone »

After several weeks of trying to register and get in to this place( being told each login try: "The username you submitted was incorrect") I finally managed to become a member here. It'll take me a while to get used to how this place operates and to figure out how to place an avatar. I'm hoping some of the old buds here will help a bit with all of that. And right now I gotta book. So I'll see y'all tomorrow. :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Sepiatone
laffite

Re: Finally made it!

Post by laffite »

I'm glad you did, and welcome. I noticed your presence over in that place over thert and thought, "Why doesn't he come over here.." Looking forward to your posts over at CM, and elsewhere of course.

:smiley_clap: :smiley_clap: :smiley_clap: :smiley_clap:
Catherine Deneuve in The Murri Affaire
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Welcome Sepiatone!
I went to the avatar page in my profile and it clearly states the maximum specs.
"Maximum dimensions; width: 300 pixels, height: 350 pixels, file size: 49.00 KiB."
My favorite method of making an image small enough to fit the specs of this forum is to use good old Microsoft Paint.
For me it is more common to find an image I want that is too large.
I've only been here just over a month.
A rocky beginning but glad to be here.
I blew up in TopBilled's face and now it is a complete ban over there.
I've missed the music stuff with you and galacticgirrrl.
This site is different. You may be pleased at the fact there are no ads.
Those who run the forum here (Admin and Moderators) are good people.
Plenty of names you should remember from TCM's forum. A few name changes though.
Again, glad you are here!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Sepiatone wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 1:39 pm . . . It'll take me a while to get used to how this place operates and to figure out how to place an avatar. I'm hoping some of the old buds here will help a bit with all of that . . .
Welcome, Sepiatone!

To add an avatar (open another tab or window on your browser to read the following instructions while you perform them):

1. On the Silver Screen Oasis home page (index page), click your name.

2. In the drop-down menu, click User Control Panel.

3. In the User Control Panel application, click the Profile tab.

4. In the Profile application, click Edit avatar.

5. In the Edit avatar application, accept the default Avatar type setting Upload avatar.

6. In the Upload from your machine section, click Browse to find an image on your computer that you want for your avatar.

7. After you have selected your image, click Submit to create your avatar.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Welcome, ol' buddy! Glad to see ya finally made it over here.

(...been wonderin' what took ya so long) ;)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Recently I heard "Cinnamon Girl" and thought of you. Glad to see you here.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

EP Millstone wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 3:55 pm
Sepiatone wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 1:39 pm . . . It'll take me a while to get used to how this place operates and to figure out how to place an avatar. I'm hoping some of the old buds here will help a bit with all of that . . .
Welcome, Sepiatone!

To add an avatar (open another tab or window on your browser to read the following instructions while you perform them):

1. On the Silver Screen Oasis home page (index page), click your name.

2. In the drop-down menu, click User Control Panel.

3. In the User Control Panel application, click the Profile tab.

4. In the Profile application, click Edit avatar.

5. In the Edit avatar application, accept the default Avatar type setting Upload avatar.

6. In the Upload from your machine section, click Browse to find an image on your computer that you want for your avatar.

7. After you have selected your image, click Submit to create your avatar.
Tried all that and it didn't work. But couldn't browse avatars because I was informed there weren't any available at that time. I'll keep trying though.
And an image I tried to upload from my files didn't work either. But I'll persevere.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Sepiatone,
You'll get there. I'm still learning too. Best!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Sepiatone ... The image you are trying to upload is likely too big in size or too large.
My computer screen is 1920 x 1080 pixels. In contrast, the avatar specs for this forum are 350 x 300 pixels.
The file size is also small. The maximum allowed file is 49 KiB in size. Something small enough to meet the size requirements will probably be small enough too.
With Windows, if you hover your mouse pointer on top of an image, it should show your the pixel size and file size. You may have to single click to highlight the image. The picture I attached is 440 x 216 pixels and 36 KiB.
The other screenshot is from Microsoft Paint.
It is just about the only and easiest way I know of to make a picture larger or smaller.
Microsoft Paint lives on. If you right-click on an image you will get a menu including the option to edit a photo.
Otherwise, the Paint app is inside the Windows Accessory menu.
Also, for those who aren't familiar, which included me, below the edit window box in a message is "Options - Attachments.
The Options menu is there by default. You can use the Attachments tab to put an image (or maybe something else) inside your post.
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 660 times
another screenshot.jpg
another screenshot.jpg (23.03 KiB) Viewed 660 times
Okay, I got a little messed up here.
The first screenshot is how you can see how big a file is and the dimensions. (You can't see my mouse pointer)
The second screenshot is from Microsoft Paint.
Rats! It looks like sending an attachment via PM is not possible. That means helping you fix an image will have to take place with instructions. :headbang:
Hope you can make sense of this, Sepiatone.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Sepiatone wrote: February 24th, 2023, 1:01 pm Tried all that and it didn't work. But couldn't browse avatars because I was informed there weren't any available at that time. I'll keep trying though.
And an image I tried to upload from my files didn't work either. But I'll persevere.
Drat!

If you were unable to upload files to the SSO, jimimac's diagnosis might be correct.

Here are, I hope, helpful videos on how to resize images.

Resizing Images with Microsoft Paint (Windows)

Resizing Images with Preview (Macintosh)

Resizing Images on Your iPhone

Resizing Images on Your Android Phone
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I watched the Windows 10 video. Okay? I enjoyed the Ubuntu image. I'm a Linux wannabee.
Gee EP. I didn't think to look for a video. :smilie_happy_thumbup:
Not that it matters a lot with smaller images, but JPEG is a smaller file size than PNG.
Using the Save As feature instead of just Save, lets you pick the file format.
Windows Paint has been around forever, so if you don't have Windows 10, it is still there.