WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by feaito »

I have seen –sadly indeed- few films lately:

A Chilean 2008 movie titled “Muñeca” (Doll) which left me cold.

The superb Drama-Thriller-Noir “Sunset Boulevard” (1950) which I had revisited recently and which I saw -again- last Friday with my wife and an American friend who lives in my building. They loved it! My friend even applauded after the film ended, when the credits were rolling. This masterpiece improves with each viewing.

The 1987 TV Miniseries “The Secret of the Sahara”, based upon an Emilio Salgari novel and which was produced by the Italian RAI. I saw this 4 part TV Miniseries when it premiered back in 1987-1988 on local TV and it made a deep impact on me, especially since it deals with an Ancient Extraterrestrial civilization –a sort of Lost Atlantis located in the Sahara Desert. The international cast incluyes Andie MacDowell, Michael York, Ben Kingsley, Jean Pierre Cassel, David Soul, James Farentino, Miguel Bosè, Ana Obregón, William MacNamara et al. Obviously, it did not affect me as it did when I watched 20 years ago, but nevertheless it was fantastic to have the opportunity to see it again, in spite of the terrible Spanish dubbing, with very heavy Spanish accent.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday, I watched the 1965 samurai movie "Sword of Doom." Directed by Kihachi Okamoto, this is a different kind of samurai movie in that the main character (played by Tatsuya Nakadi, who was the villain in "Yojimbo" and the Lear figure in "Ran") is evil and enjoys killing people.

Unfortunately, the plot is a mess, laboriously building up to confrontations that never happen. However, the last 15 minutes are unforgettable. The evil samurai goes crazy, thinking he sees the ghosts of his victims. He begins slashing at the walls of the geisha house, knocking over a lamp, which starts a fire. He is then attacked by other samurai as part of the (Impenetrable) political intrigue going on in the film. He hacks them down, but is fatally wounded himself. The film ends with a freeze frame of him as a killing machine.

The film is deeply flawed, but the ending is worth a look.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

One of my tow favorite scenes in the movie. Jean's scream is so real. My other favorite from "TCTIWY" is Jean and Lionel in the bedroom talking about the grandmother and how the room she has her fragrance.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday, I watched one of the strangest films I've ever seen.

"Lemonade Joe" is a Czech film from 1965 that parodies the Western. A teetotaling hero arrives in a lawless Western town to clear it up. However, he is actually a lemonade salesman. The first twenty minutes of this film are utterly hilarious and take "Destry Rides Again" and push it to extremes. Other films such as "Union Pacific," "My Darling Clementine" and "Stagecoach" are spoofed as well. (The chief bad guy looks like Carradine.)

There is Communist propaganda as well. The Temperence League is revealed as a front for the lemonade interests. The lemonade salesman puts up posters all over town of Washington and Lincoln saying "If we weren't dead, we'd drink lemonade."

Perhaps 10 minutes could have been trimmed from this film, but it is funny. Oddly, the last scene reminded me of the opening of "Support Your Local Sheriff," and I wonder if someone who worked on "Blazing Saddles" saw this as well.

Not a perfect film, but it will make you laugh.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Watched The Wrestler and was "floored" (but seriously folks). Micky Rourke is devastatingly brilliant, and, while Sean Penn may have deserved the Best Actor award for Milk (good movie, great performance), I think Rourke's performance is the one that will linger. But what about Marisa Tomei? She's equally great in this film, and may even have the harder role. Man she's good.

Shot mostly hand-held (at least it seems to be), the film has a documentary feel to it, which naturally makes one feel even closer to these characters. Shout out, too, to Evan Rachel Wood, as Rourke's daughter. They share an amazingly beautiful scene together on the boardwalk of Atlantic City. (I think it's AC). It's Jersey for "shore". (I'm here all week.)
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's not often I fancy watching new movies but you've made The Wrestler sound very interesting. MAybe I'll check it out.

I rewatched Les Amants. I love this movie, I'm a die hard romantic with a touch of tragedy. I think the movie was very famous in it's day for it's love scene, which takes up a third of the movie. It's touching and sensual, quite tame by today's standards, in fact lessons could be learned, less is more. Jeanne Moreau, one of my favorite actresses, plays a demanding role of a bored rich housewife and mother and mistress so well. Then she discovers her true love, a man who gave her a lift home after her car broke down. It's quite a role for an actress to play, especially sympathetically, especially a woman who leaves her daughter, for me she manages it. I think this is a film that changes depending on how old you are when you watch it. I'm sure had I watched this when I was twenty I would have seen nothing but the passion and love between the two. Nowadays although I believe in their passion and want to believe in it lasting but I'm not so sure.

It's a great movie and Jean Marc Bory, well ladies it's worth a watch just for him :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched an entertaining adventure made in the '60s titled "Kings of the Sun" (1963) directed by J. Lee Thompson. It's a fun film if you forget about its flaws and many historical inaccuracies. George Chakiris is the King of the Mayas-on-the-run, Yul Brynner, the Chief of an American Tribe and Shirley Anne Field -who resembles a dark-haired Yvette Mimieux- the girl in between. Fine actions scenes and colorful locations.
klondike

Post by klondike »

I remember Kings of the Sun; Yul Brynner never again looked as athletic or physically dominating as he did here, as the aboriginally underdressed chief of Gulf Coast proto-Seminoles, and surely a strange bit of casting for the Gaelic-complected Richard Basehart, adequately stern-jawed as a rather Irish-looking Mayan conqueror.
Great fun, though, warts & all!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yes Klondike, Brynner's physical assets are widely displayed for most of the running time of this film and I commented to my wife about the way he walked and posed, in a totally self-assured, nonchalant manner; he overshadowed Chakiris completely. In fact my wife wanted ***SPOILERS*** Ixchtel (Shirley Anne Field) to fall for him. And when there was a close-up of the Mayan high priest (Basehart) she said: "That's the guy from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea!". He certainly looked funny with that hairdo.

Last night I saw Jim Carrey's "Yes Man" (2008) and it was smarter than the usual stuff Hollywood's turning out and we laughed out loud with my sister and brother-in-law (When I watch films with them, they have to be contemporary!)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am pretty new here, and I don't want to go back too far in this thread, but I just wanted to say to MichiganJ how much I enjoyed your post on John Ford. Watch out. Ford is cunning. Soon you will be watching westerns and liking them! You won't even be able to say, "I don't like westerns."

You guys all seem to have great taste. I am quite impressed at the movies you have been watching, whether they are classic or not. The last one I went to see was Sunshine Cleaning. I was leery of seeing it, because I really liked Little Miss Sunshine, and I thought that this one (made by the same folks) wouldn't be as good. I was wrong. It was better. Just don't see it if you are at all squeamish. It is not violent, but is graphically bloody. Amy Adams and Emily Blunt are fantastic as sisters on the edge of an emotional abyss. It is my favorite modern genre - dromedy - a drama with lots of dark comedy thrown into the mix.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I saw a movie this morning I enjoyed very much. It's called The Last Legion, and it is something of a small-scale adventure/fantasy/Roman epic, suitable for older children as well as adults.

This Anglo-Italian production, based on an Italian novel, tells a fanciful story of the fate of the historical "last Roman emperor," Romulus Augustus. There is enough historical fact to keep Roman history buffs from groaning too much, but the plot plays fast and loose with events. No matter, though -- this movie is very well done.

The young Romulus, played by Thomas Sangster (of Love, Actually), is proclaimed emperor by his soldier father, who has deposed the previous emperor. The boy is only 12 years old here. Although the age of the historical Romulus is not know, historical sources think he was under 21 at the time. Unfortunately for the boy emperor, the Germanic/Roman soldier Odoacer decides this would be a good time to sack Rome (c. 460-75 AD). Romulus sees his parents killed by the Germanic soldiers. In a very good scene, the boy is brought before Odoacer in chains. Regarding him with a mixture of contempt and fear, Romulus bravely asks "Who treats Caesar so?" Sangster was a real pro, and gave Romulus just the right spin as an inexperienced but resourceful boy thrust into an adult world.

Colin Firth is the Praetorian Guard responsible for the young emperor's safety, and Ben Kingsley is a "philosopher" who is the boy's tutor, and seems to be something of an alchemist/wizard. As it turns out, this movie is in reality a version of the Arthurian legend and it becomes increasingly apparent that Kingsley may be Merlin the Magician. Odoacer banishes Romulus and his tutor to Capri, where he is guarded by big Germanic soldiers with Scots accents who wear their furs in the Italian heat and carry battleaxes in the completion of their daily chores. Romulus is offered sanctuary by the Eastern Roman Emperor, whose emisarry to Rome is played by Alexander Siddig of Deep Space Nine. (In reality, the fate of Romulus is not known, although it appears that he simply retired from political life, and was granted a pension by Odoacer.)

Well, there's lots more plot, and also Aishwarya Rai as an Eastern Roman commando from Southern India, who accompanies the boy on his travels. You see, while in Capri, Romulus finds the tomb of Julius Caesar, which bears an inscription saying that the last and future emperor must find his fate in Britannia. There's also a nifty sword, which the philosopher says was forged from iron made from a "stone that fell from the sky." Firth, Rai and a few other multi-cultural fighters (this being Classical Rome and all), rescue Romulus and Merlin (whose Roman name is Ambrosius), and make their way to Britannia, mostly on foot. So much goes on in this movie it's too much to relate here, but the principles do end up in Camelot, where the last Roman legion was stationed. It's there that the King Arthur connection gets more obvious. The legion is nicknamed "The Dragon Legion," and once Romulus and friends vanquish the evil Druid ravaging the countryside with the help of the remnants of the legion (now retired and married to the locals), he is given the soubriquet "Son of the Dragon," as in "Pendragon," which is the name of King Arthur's father (Uther Pendragon). And then there's that "once and future king" sword thing, too.

The camera work in this movie is excellent and quite beautiful. I'd love to see this one on the big screen. The scenes of Rome (actually, Romulus lived in Ravenna) looked so familiar, and sure enough, the production credits went to various De Laurentiis names -- the scenery was the same as in Cleopatra - it was filmed at Cinecitta. Scenes were also shot in Tunisia (standing in for Capri), and Slovakia (standing in for Camelot).

The movie is much better than you might expect. Did it have theatrical release here? I don't remember anything about it in NYC (it has a 2007 release date). It's too bad, really, because I found it just as good as any of the Harry Potter series, and it has the same level of historical and literary reference in it. There are several battle sequences, but they are not very realistic by current standards, and there's little bloodshed, so I think older children would not be bothered by it. A more disturbing aspect is the scene of the parents of Romulus being murdered in front of him.

The dialog is quite snappy, and there are funny moments as well. Besides the Romulus/Odoacer confrontation mentioned above, I was struck the nice detail of the young emperor's character, as tough and mature as he behaved, still reverting at brief moments to the boy he really was. At one point, when walking with Rai (the Indian Ninja), he shyly took her hand; and at another time when they were encamped, he allowed her to tuck him in for the night. Another cute scene, this one for us adults, had Firth and Rai engaged in a practice swordfight as they exchanged flirty insults. It was just like Fred and Ginger dancing: we knew what they really wanted to be doing. I'd like to see this one again, as I missed some of it while I was doing housework. HBO will be showing again several times this month.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Knitty and Garbo -
Thanks for the response.
As I suspected, Mary Forbes is one of those actresses I've seen in tons of things, but hadn't quite identified. I'd definitely heard the name, but not looked up her resume. Here's a list of the movies I've seen (more than once....okay, several times) that she's in:
A Farewell to Arms, Roberta, A Perfect Fit, Theodora Goes WIld, Stage Door, The Awful Truth, Rage of Paris, When Ladies Meet (1941).

Now I'll have to watch these movies again and watch for her.

B
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

JackFavell wrote:
I just wanted to say to MichiganJ how much I enjoyed your post on John Ford. Watch out. Ford is cunning. Soon you will be watching westerns and liking them! You won't even be able to say, "I don't like westerns."
Thanks and welcome!

I just watched Rio Grande, which I didn't realize was part of a "Calvary Trilogy" (along with Fort Apache and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon). Loved all three (Fort Apache still being my favorite), and the only "flaw" I can see in Grande is there are too many songs! Who'da thought? And was that Zuzu ringing the church bell? (She gave a lot of angels wings if it was!). The black and white photography is stunning, by the way.
Okay, I'll say it..."I do like westerns!"
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched a film I saw when it premiered back in 1993: "Huevos de Oro" (Golden Balls). I used to like Bigas Luna's raw style and I still do. Javier Bardem gives a great performance as the uncouth, ambitious anti-hero of the picture. Undoubtedly he has a strong screen presence and he acts very well. Maribel Verdú and María de Medeiros are the women in his life, and Alessandro Gassman (Vittorio's son) and Benicio del Toro have supporting roles. Not for all tastes, because it has quite graphic erotic scenes. The director's use of imagery is effective; the film is loaded with tacky objects that reflect the lead character's personality.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

MichiganJ wrote:
I just watched Rio Grande, which I didn't realize was part of a "Calvary Trilogy" (along with Fort Apache and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon). Loved all three (Fort Apache still being my favorite), and the only "flaw" I can see in Grande is there are too many songs! Who'da thought? And was that Zuzu ringing the church bell? (She gave a lot of angels wings if it was!). The black and white photography is stunning, by the way.
Fort Apache is my favorite too. I can't believe you spotted Zuzu in Rio Grande.... I had to go look it up and you are right!
Okay, I'll say it..."I do like westerns!"
Yay!