WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

That would be a fascinating topic for discussion in a thread, Chris... drinking in the movies is quite often a liberating experience. Well, before The Lost Weekend and the kitchen sink films of the fifties. No wait, that time frame goes out the window... just thought of A Star is Born and What Price Hollywood and Lilly Turner. I guess it just depends on the genre. But still, I think it's a topic worth exploring further.

I just watched Gravet in the presumed to be awful film Fools for Scandal, with Carole Lombard. (Lina Lamont voice here) I liked it! Wasn't this film supposed to be a big bomb?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Mostly in the 30s they are happy drunks. I thought of "The Lost Weekend" when I wrote it thinking that is about the time the sensibility may have changed. I don't know enough about "Fools For Scandal" to be any help.

I was wondering where you found that picture of me for your avatar.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was looking through your childhood scrapbook recently and found that lovely photo of you, Chris. High school wasn't good to you was it? :D

Not that I should talk....

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks for making me laugh. I needed it.

Now, to talk to my mother about my pictures.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

:D
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

No impersonations of George Sanders and Ingrid Bergman?

We recently saw LOVE IS STRANGE (Ira Sachs 2014). I kept thinking of MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW (Leo McCarey 1937).

I liked John Lithgow, but Alfred Molina was fabulous. Just two guys very much in love. But nobody wants them when individually they become intrusions.

The ending had me smiling and near tears.

Oh, and I never mind watching Marisa Tomei, for whom I will forever have a crush.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Image Image

Hung out at the Film Forum today. “MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON” was going to be my filler for the double bill I went to see. I was really waiting for the fireworks of “STATE OF THE UNION.” ( Whew! Lansbury! ) Well I haven’t seen “Mr. Smith...” in its entirety in ages and I’ve got to tell you, it packed an unexpected emotional wallop for me. I see just why James Stewart became a star. As Jefferson Smith he was the heart, soul and conscience of the movie. He carried that film and didn’t overplay his hand. He was affable, sincere, passionate and idealistic; yes, all those things. Stewart was a lamb brought to slaughter. He gets raked over the coals by powerful politicians. It hurt so much, it was painful to see him betrayed... BUT, rousing to see his eyes opened and use what he’s learned.

Behind him all the way, teaching, coaching, guiding him was Jean Arthur. She was wonderful. In-Washington-too-long, I believed her as the jaded, cynical reporter, wet nurse to political newbies. I have to keep re-discovering Jean, because I have NOT...yet...learned ...my... lesson...with...her. She’s a gem in this, and helps Stewart navigate through the muck and mire that is Washington. ( Not much has changed in that regard. ) Her cynicism melts in the face of his idealism and blossoms into love.

Capra pits Boy vs. Man, The Individual vs. The Machine; Small Town vs. Corporate. Of course you know how it’s going to turn out but dammit you root for it anyway. In spite of myself, Capra grabs me by my collar and never lets me go. I smiled in recognition at the many many character actors dotting the landscape.

While “State of the Union” appealed to my brain, “Mr. Smith...” appealed to heart. My tears ( yes, tears ) were for Jefferson Smith ( an Oscar-worthy, star-making performance by Jimmy Stewart ) for fighting the good fight. My tears were also for America; the America that was. Maybe for the America that never was...but an America I want to believe in.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

While “State of the Union” appealed to my brain, “Mr. Smith...” appealed to heart

You've just summed up the effectiveness of Frank Capra. Especially those I consider the four great ones. SMITH, DEEDS, DOE and that Christmas movie! American classics.

Will the CINE-TOR please yield?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Went to our local "atmosphere" theater this past Sunday with my daughter to watch Poltergeist. Planning on going this next weekend to see Psycho and the following weekend to see Ghostbusters. Hoping they show some of the older Christmas movies this December like they did last year, Something about seeing them on the big screen.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

While “State of the Union” appealed to my brain, “Mr. Smith...” appealed to heart
[color=#FF0000][u]RedRiver[/u][/color] wrote:You've just summed up the effectiveness of Frank Capra. Especially those I consider the four great ones. SMITH, DEEDS, DOE and that Christmas movie! American classics.
I agree with you wholeheartedly Red. I do have to be "in-the-mood" to watch them. But when I settle in and watch...I'm IN!
Will the CINE-TOR please yield?
I WILL ( to you ) because that is the BEST PLAY ON WORDS ( for my nom de plume ) THAT YOU'VE EVER GIVEN ME. OMG!!! You have to get a "BRILLIANT!!!" :D :D :D

Well, I'm off to see Ulmer and Constance Bennett. I won't come up for air until tomorrow evening! :mrgreen:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I caught a little bit of THE LAST COMMAND on yet another bizarre cable channel. Sterling Hayden as Jim Bowie at the Alamo! It looked good. I had seen it once before, but that was MANY years ago. Arthur Hunnicutt plays an unrefined Davy Crockett. Richard Carlson the valiant Col. Travis. I only watched the last half hour, but I couldn't fault it if I tried. The film was directed by Frank Lloyd.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A beautiful summation, King Rat! The shot of the jackhammer and the Free Press is monumental. As much as I love Capra's OTHER Christmas classic, this one is darker, more political, and ultimately better. The scene of John being crucified, I mean humiliated, at the convention is one of the greatest in cinema. The argument could be made that this is the great American movie. Someday, I just might make such a case!