WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Post by feaito »

Charlotte Rampling is indeed an excellent actress. I watched recently in the French film "Vers le Sud" (Heading South) and as usual, she's superb. Moraldo, have you ever seen her in the mythic "The Night Porter"? I'm curious about that particular film.

I've just finished watching a wonderful piece of Americana: "One Sunday Afternoon" (1933). Gary Cooper was such a gifted actor. He's just perfect as the rather awkward, brutish, and ultimately lovable Biff Grimes. I love his 1930s films. Frances Fuller, although fourth billed is great as his ever-loving wife. She gives such a soulful, touching, sensitive performance! I wonder why she didn't became a real movie star. She had a quality that could had made her shine in the type of roles Janet Gaynor excelled at. She fares much better than Fay Wray here (IMO), who plays a rather disgreeable woman, especially at the end of the film. What a liked about this film is that it's not predictable, the story has much truth in it- it really rings true and that it's not the typical happy-go-lucky comedy...it has a kind of darker mood or tone that I bet the 1941 remake lacks.
Moraldo Rubini

Il Portiere di notte

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Fernando wrote:Charlotte Rampling is indeed an excellent actress. I watched recently in the French film "Vers le Sud" (Heading South) and as usual, she's superb. Moraldo, have you ever seen her in the mythic "The Night Porter"? I'm curious about that particular film.
Alas Fernando, I've never seen this highly controversial movie. The instant saw that title though, I could picture Mlle. Rampling on the provocative poster that blazed across the country when the film opened. I think this movie's been released by The Criterion Collection.

P.S. I finished watching Cover Girl tonight, but thought I'd start a thread on it over in the musicals forum. If anyone's interested, it's here: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis/view ... =9969#9969 [Warning: I got a little... uh... enthusastic... so it's probably not going to be easy to get through.]
jdb1

Re: Charlotte's Ebb

Post by jdb1 »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:Sounds interesting Judith. How recently was it made? I often enjoy watching Charlotte Rampling. For me, she's a real movie star.
Keys to the House is from 2004. The very handsome actor who played the father is named Kim Rossi Stuart. The extraordinary young man who played his son is Andrea Rossi, but I don't think they are related.

Rampling managed to be both glamorous and materna ihn this filml, and to my ear her language skills were impeccable - she even spoke a bit of
English; I suppose so we'd remember who she is, not that we really needed a clue.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I finally saw "Delicatessen," the French SF movie from about 15 years ago. i was tremendously impressed. The pre-credit sequence made me shout, and the film itself was very clever and inventive. it reminded me a bit of Terry Gilliam's work, but with a more focused narrative.

I look forward to tracking down "City of Lost Children."
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

MikeBSG wrote:I finally saw "Delicatessen," the French SF movie from about 15 years ago. i was tremendously impressed. The pre-credit sequence made me shout, and the film itself was very clever and inventive. it reminded me a bit of Terry Gilliam's work, but with a more focused narrative.

I look forward to tracking down "City of Lost Children."
Delicatessen (1991) is one of my all time faves! Great film!
Moraldo Rubini

It is She

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Tonight I was finally able to check off another cult film that I'd previously never been able to see. It's in thanks to Kino's recent release of She in a double-disk set. The first disk has two versions of the movie: the original black and white, and a horrible looking color version that cruelly includes the audio commentary of FX legend Ray Harryhausen and producer Merian C. Cooper's biographer Mark Cotta Vaz. I wouldn't have watched the latter, except I really wanted to hear the commentary. The second disk promises lots of features (interviews, backstory, and comparisons with the silent versions), but I haven't ventured there yet...

Cooper's dream for this movie was waylaid in many ways. His budget was suddenly cut just previous to filming, so his color spectacle become one in black and white. He wanted Joel McCrea and Francis Dee for the romantic roles, but ended up with handsome Randolph Scott and Helen Mack. In the role of Hash-A-Mo-Tep ("She Who Must Be Obeyed"), Cooper wanted either Garbo or Dietrich. Randolph Scott is surprisingly weak in this movie -- I guess his acting ripened with age, and Francis Dee would have been an improvement over Helen Mack; but Helen Gahagan is superb as She. Whereas Garbo would have been entirely wrong... Dietrich? Well that's an interesting idea; but Gahagan is really wonderful in this mysterious role as the crazy queen.

She's truly the star of this Lost Horizon-like flick. It only adds to her mystery that this was the only movie this regal gal made. Previously I'd only known her as Melvyn Douglas' wife; and as the gal who ran for California senator until Richard Nixon sabotaged her career. The other stars are Max Steiner's moody score and the fabulous sets designed by Van Nest Polglase.

Sometimes it seems like an index of other classic movies. We see the Skull Island gates from King Kong, the guards spears look like those of the Winkies (guards of the Wicked Witch of the West), and many scenes parallel Lost Horizon. Snow White's evil queen seems to have been based on one of She's scenes; and the procession in the Hall of Kings forshadows the spectacular dungeon production number in The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.

One of my basic DVD rules, is that I try not to watch them unless it's a movie that I've already seen in a theatre. Unfortunately, sometimes this just isn't possible. She is one those elusive movies. But I appreciated Ray Harryhausen's audio commentary when he said:

"This is the type of picture -- like King Kong -- you should see on the big screen the first time. When you see it for the first time on a little tv box, it just isn't the same film. And I think a lot of people have lost contact with this by not being able to see it on the big screen for the first time. Certain pictures are meant for the big screen, and this is one of them."

At any rate, this is one of the reasons that I support local repertory houses and pray for their survival.

Anyone seen the 1965 remake with Ursula Andress?
Last edited by Moraldo Rubini on August 29th, 2007, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

She

Post by feaito »

"Repertory Houses"... You are lucky there in the United States. I wish something like this would exist here in Chile... Not a chance of watching REAL Classics on the Big Screen. Oh, well.

"She" is one of those movies that have entranced me since I was a kid. I watched the 1965 version with Ursula Andress when I was under 10 years old and it instantly became a favorite of mine -sadly I've never had the chance of watching it again.

My impressions as a child have been long lasting, but I cannot give an opinion from an adult's point of view. Ursula Andress became my idea of the most alluring female that ever existed. I was just crazy about her. I remember that her partner in the film, John Richardson lacked something....acting talent? he was good looking but kind of stiff it seems... Andress was great as the icy queen (at least from a child's point of view). I also remember that Mexican Rosenda Monteros played Helen Mack's part. I also recall watching later on a sequel of "She" titled either "The Return of She" or "The Revenge of She", which was amusing, but inferior to the original. I've never watched this one as an adult either. They are Hammer films, I believe. Who has the right to them now?

When I watched the original "She" (1935), I was well past 30 years old and I instantly fell in love with the film. I loved its cinematography, atmosphere, black and white photography, sets, etc. Randolph Scott seemed adequate to me and Helen Mack too, but in spite of Helen Gahagan's talent, poise and mystery (since I had Ursula Andress in my mind as "She who must be obeyed") I felt that she lacked the necessary beauty and sex-appeal to portray this ravishing, icy queen. Someone with the physical beauty and allure of a Hedy Lamarr or a Gene Tierney, would have been fantastic. But that's my opinion.

I have this film on DVD but I have the Two-Disc Special Edition in my Wish List, because I'm such a fan of the story. Moraldo, would you recommend me to buy the Special Edition?
Moraldo Rubini

Re: She

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

feaito wrote:"Repertory Houses"... You are lucky there in the United States. I wish something like this would exist here in Chile... Not a chance of watching REAL Classics on the Big Screen. Oh, well.
in spite of Helen Gahagan's talent, poise and mystery (since I had Ursula Andress in my mind as "She who must be obeyed") I felt that she lacked the necessary beauty and sex-appeal to portray this ravishing, icy queen.
I have this film on DVD but I have the Two-Disc Special Edition in my Wish List, because I'm such a fan of the story. Moraldo, would you recommend me to buy the Special Edition?
No repertory house? I have a pal in North Carolina who started his own neighborhood block parties and screened classic movies on his garage door. Have projector, will travel!

I thought She looked fantastic for a woman 500 years old!

Of course I'm not sure of the shape of your DVD, Fernando. This new double-disk release is great though. Beautiful transfer, Ray Harryhausen's audio commentary... the cover mentions that deleted scenes have been restored. Having never seen it before though, I don't know what was missing. I wonder if it has scenes that your's is lacking? The second disk also shows segments from the 1911 and 1925 versions. I wish they were complete. I'd recommend it to fans.
feaito

Re: She

Post by feaito »

Moraldo Rubini wrote: No repertory house? I have a pal in North Carolina who started his own neighborhood block parties and screened classic movies on his garage door. Have projector, will travel!
I'd be delighted Moraldo!

And concerning the DVD, thanks for the recommendation. I think I'll buy the Special Edition.
feaito

Two films in a row...

Post by feaito »

Since today I arrived earlier to my apartament, due to strikes and other disorders that took place in the area I work in, I could watch two films:

"Broken Lullaby" (1932). I had long wanted to watch this Lubistch drama depicting the effects of World War I on Frenchman, Paul Renaud, who's haunted by the memory of killing face to face, in a trench, a German opponent (named Walter Holderlin) of his same age and characteristics (both are gifted violinists). Three years have passed since the armistice and Paul decides to go to Holderlin's hometown, confess his "crime" and beg forgiveness from his parents... but things don't go the way he expected... the parents believe he's a friend of his son and that they both met in Paris before the War, when young Holdelrin studied there... and, rather unwillingly, he pretty much takes Holderlin's place in his parent's hearts and also falls for the deceased man's fiancée.

The film is fantastic, atmospheric, well set, beautifully acted, touching, with some very, very unique scenes between the parents and Mr. Renaud. The latter is skillfully portrayed by Phillips Holmes, who makes you feel the anguish that burns his soul. At last I had an opportunity to see Nancy Carroll in a role worthy of her talents; she plays beautifully Holderlin's fiancée. Mention appart deserves Lionel Barrymore as Herr Holderlin; he's superb. He gives a performance worthy of an Oscar. Louise Carter is equally moving as his wife. A great dramatic film by all accounts and an opportunity to see a Drama directed by Lubitsch (Here he fares much, much better than in "Eternal Love"). Very moving.

"The River" (1929). This Borzage film is incomplete, but was reconstructed by a French or Swiss Cinemathèque using the portions that have survived (around 45 minutes) plus image stills and written descriptions of the scenes (following the film's original script). I feel privileged of having had the chance of watching this rarity. Mary Duncan is tantalizing, beautiful, alluring, sensuous, as the worldly woman who attemps to seduce (and ultimately falls in love with) naive Allen John, played by a glowing Charles Farrell. The erotic tension between both characters is perfectly displayed by masterful Borzage and I really feel that the scenes that survived are the best ones, because they depict the development of the relationship that builds between both of them. Mary Duncan's physical appearance reminded me of a young Ann Dvorak. An atmospheric film, full of symbolism. The film has that ethereal quality present in most of Borzage's pictures. An aesthetic pleasure.
Moraldo Rubini

C'est la guerre

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Broken Lullaby sounds terrific, Fernando! I don't think I've ever heard of it before; now I'll keep my eye out for it.

My Wednesday night movie was War Made Easy, a documentary about America's history of propaganda employed in an attmept to make war more palatable to its citizens. Footage is generous with television news broadcasts, so much so that it seems this should be broadcast on tv. Distributed by Silver Screen Oasis denizen Dewey1960.* It's an interesting piece; [and for me] especially when regarding the 1950's and 1960's. We're more aware now of the current mess in Iraq and what led us to be there, but clarification of the early years of the Viet Nam conflict was enlightening. I especially appreciated being introduced to Wayne Morse, the Oregon senator who declared that the people should be deciding foreign policy and the president should merely be administer the people's intent.

* Thanks for the tickets Dewey! I wish you much success in getting this movie distributed.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Thanks for the very kind words about our film, Moraldo; glad you enjoyed it! Happy to report that theaters across the country are responding in a very positive way and we fully expect to have it shown (almost) everywhere eventually! Perhaps in time to do some good once election time rolls around next year...
benwhowell

Vices

Post by benwhowell »

After reading about Bette Davis and Mary Astor "re-writing" "The Great Lie" and hearing Robert O speak about it before last night's TCM viewing-how could I not spend the entire movie wondering what their "re-writes" were. It really added to the fun of watching it. There was one line in particular that really cracked me up...In the scene where Pete has returned (from the dead) and he and Maggie are at a club in NYC-Sandra shows up and greets Pete with "What do you say to a ghost? Hello, Maggie." It's a treat to watch Mary play "bad"...and Bette play "good." They were both in top form and had great chemistry. It was also a very special treat (for me) to see Bette, Mary and Hattie McDaniel in scenes together.
It was scandalous for a (technically) unmarried woman to have a baby...in '40's Hollywood so I guess they compromised that by not having Mary look pregnant? That thick robe she wore didn't work for me.
I thought the ending was a bit abrupt too. Reminded me of all these Lifetime movies that wrap everything up in the last 5 minutes.
The movie was also filled with food and drink references...What about that cake Violet and Jefferson brought out! No way you'd get a small slice from that cake...and all that smoking. (I suppose it would get an R rating now.) When the movie ended I was craving a ham sandwhich with onions, a Cuba Libre and a Camel!
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Mmmm...Cuba Libres...my hubby and I used to drink those...they're so easy to make.

You squeeze the juice of half a lime into a tall glass, add ice, drop the lime half in, then add a couple ounces of rum, and fill the glass up the rest of the way with Coca Cola. So refreshing!

Sandy K
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Wow. Those are all great movies you lot have been watching! I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago and spent 5 days on my back, so I got some watching done. Saw "Black Snake Moan"--interesting mainly for the music and the chemistry (not sexual, though she tries to make it so) between Christine Ricci (Wednesday Addams all grown up--and then some) and Smauel L. Jackson. Caught up with my DVR recordings, too--finally saw "Faster Pussycat" (the best part was Robert O's look of extreme distaste as he says, "So tell me why should I watch this movie? LOL) and "Die Die My Darling" which was seriously creepy. Also watched "Call Her Savage" finally. Clara Bow's Bronx accent sort of comes and goes, but it wasn't that bad. Is that why she stopped making movies, or was it her health? Anyone know?

In the theater, I've only seen the latest Harry Potter and "Stardust," which was good, but maybe a bit over the top.

Tracey
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde