Poll ended at June 11th, 2008, 9:15 am

Out of the Past
48%
Touch of Evil
52%

Total votes: 21

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Look, Boys - this is one crochety old lady who's getting tired of the prolixity (is that a word?) I'm getting an image of two bull moose butting heads and trumpeting, or mooing, or whatever bull moose do when they are peeved.

We voted twice. Those who cared enough to vote did so, and we've had a tie twice. Accept it. It's a tie. There's no shame in it -- each movie is primer inter pares in its own way.

I say let it lay. Jacques and Orson, we love you both. Ditto Mitchum and Marlene. There's enough Noir in the world to encompass them all.

Let's move on to another category. C'mon guys . . . . you know you want to. Hmmm? Pretty please?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It would be quite nice if there was a tie. Both are very good films and it is very difficult to chose between them.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

pul-leeze!!!! Let's move on! It is too cool there was a tie, and there are lots of other genres waiting in the wings. Great posts, witty wordplay, but when a thing is dead, LET IT LIE! (LAY?) As I tell my dog when he finds something icky.....Leave it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I concur with Dewey and our friends.

Declare a tie.

Or, as Dewey's heroine would say, "Skip it."
[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

The people have spoken.

Touch of Evil and Out of the Past are declared co-victors and champions of the Noir-World!!!

Congratulations to the winners and thank you to all participants. Let peace once again reign over the cyber world, until the next vote. We'll have to wait until next year to see if we can settle on a single winner in this competitive category.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

What a great and glorious day for all of us! Thanks, Chris, for an excepionally exciting competition! We anxiously await the next Battle of the Century!
And thanks, too, Brother ChiO for the wonderful Lulu cartoon. She was always an advocate of the dead heat!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Thank you, Chris, for monitoring this exhibition (it's not a competition) and your Solomonic ruling. And thank you to all voters for tolerating my Prolix Partner and me (but what's a little prolixity among friends?).

I hereby promise never to get this passionate again...unless a Fuller or Cassavetes movie makes it to the finals of a Musical poll.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

ChiO vowed: "I hereby promise never to get this passionate again...unless a Fuller or Cassavetes movie makes it to the finals of a Musical poll."

Then tune up for Friday night's TCM offering: a mighty medley featuring CASSAVETES in the 1970 neo-noir MACHINE GUN MCCAIN followed by FULLER'S 1961 classic UNDERWORLD USA.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Thanks everyone for the passion that made this an entertaining endeavor. I think I'll let the competition rest for a little bit and then try to figure out athe best time this summer to do the next one, based on weeks when I won't be on vacation and away from a computer.

The next competition is going to be for Silents since we have a huge base of Silent fans. Hopefully this will bring a whole new crowd to the competition in addition to the regulars.

We will do Non-Comedy Silents as a genre of its own to begin with. You will be able to include shorts in your choices if you choose to. I know that with all the very knowledgeable silent fans here that at the very least this will be a very educational competition for me.
Last edited by cinemalover on June 13th, 2008, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

cinemalover wrote: We will do Non-Comedy Silents as a genre of its own to begin with. You will be able to include shorts in your choices if you choose to. I know that with all the very knowledgeable silent fans here that at the very least this will be a very educational competiton for me.
AAGGGH!!

Well, give me about five years, and I should be able to name my top fifteen by then. Seriously, the noir list will be a cinch compared to this one.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Stephen,
Is that because there are too many that you enjoy, or not enough?

Either way, I hope it will be fun for you.

Thanks
Chris

srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

cinemalover wrote:Stephen,
Is that because there are too many that you enjoy, or not enough?
Way, way too many. If we narrowed it to "American non-comedy silents," that would help, but it'd still be hard.

And I'm sure it'll be fun. While I may give myself a headache, I always enjoy anything related to film.

-Stephen
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Well, we wouldn't want it to be too easy, that would take all the enjoyment out of those agonizing decisions.

Now if we just don't end in a tie....
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wow, if I'd been here to vote then this would have been a tie!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hi MissG - welcome back! We actually did have a tie; the eleventh vote cast for TOUCH OF EVIL came after the deadline, so it was formally and happily, declared a tie betwixt it and OUT OF THE PAST! However, if you had been here, a tie-breaking vote would have been cast! A cool footnote to a heated race!