38%
#5 Michael Powell
63%

Total votes: 16

ChiO

Choose a Favorite Director: Michael Powell vs. Billy Wilder

Post by ChiO »

Gracious...this could be heated.

Poll closes at the time indicated above.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Re: Round 3: SSO Favorite Director #4 Wilder & #5 Powell

Post by JackFavell »

What is going on here? Every vote I've cast has been the single vote against the other director's five! Oh, it's going to be a heartbreaker for me, this time around.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This one is easy for me this time, much as I love Wilder, I adore Powell and I voted against Powell last round voting instead of Ophuls. I love the twists and turns of this contest.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

This one is easy for me, too. Powell is the only horse I have left in the race. Ophuls got my vote, too, last Round, but...yeah...I adore Powell.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I haven't voted yet on this one. It's sort of past vs. present. Wilder belongs to my movie watching past...he was one of the first directors I became aware of and sought out all his movies. He brought a lot great moments through his films. But Powell/The Archers movies have grown so much in my appreciation, at least certain ones, and they appeal to my more emotional side right now.

Shall I be loyal or fickle? I'll have to think about that tomorrow.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Billy Wilder was the first director I noticed and started to watch movies by, I feel I owe him a vote for that but he's against Powell and I love Powell.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Sorry Wilder fans, after extensive research ... I think Powell is better all around than Wilder. I originally voted for Wilder and now sticking with Powell for good. Its too difficult for me to put it in words why I changed my vote.
charliechaplinfan

Powell takes me to another world, sometimes a world of chocolate box colours and sometimes a world of Britain between the wars. He just has the power to transport in nearly everything he does, maybe it's just for me and other directors do attain it but not consistently. Ophuls in another who has the film making skills to do this consistently. Billy Wilder is an excellent director who made one of my favourite movies Some Like it Hot and others but my feet are still firmly planted on the ground having watched them I might have been moved by an actor or actress but not by the director. Wilder and many onthers in this contest excellent but I've come to realise that a director like Powell does more and perhaps here I should give a nod to his most famous cameraman Jack Cardiff.

I can't compare Some Like it Hot to Black Narcissus or Sunset Boulevard to A Matter of Life and Death, it's like apples and pears and I prefer pears.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

It really is no contest for me. Nearly all of Powell's films impress me in one way or another. And while I love several of Wilder's films, his later work leaves me cold. I could never sit through Kiss Me Stupid or The Fortune Cookie again.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Wow! Powell continues to amaze (me, at least).
charliechaplinfan

Me too.