HAVE A HEART, NAME THAT QUOTE: A Valentine’s Day bit of fun

Lucky Vassall

HAVE A HEART, NAME THAT QUOTE: A Valentine’s Day bit of fun

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Ten very fitting sentiments for the Holiday. How many of them can you identify? To give everyone a chance to play, don’t identify the picture; in each case, just give the number and the initials of the actor speaking the line. I’ll identify the quotes next Friday.

1. ‘I don’t want to be worshiped. I want to be loved.”

2. “You are not young, Mrs. Treadwell. You have not been young for years. Behind those old eyes you hide a 16-year-old heart.”

3. “A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.”

4. “Love is eternal. It has been the strongest motivation for human action throughout centuries. Love is stronger than life. It reaches beyond the dark shadow of death.”

5. “Because I am mad, I have betrayed you. And, because I am mad, I’m rejoicing in my heart without a shred of regret, watching you go with glory in my heart.”

6. “Cross my heart, and kiss my elbow.”

7. “We’re going to miss you, Shirley. Isn’t that right, folks? So long, Shirl. But don’t despair. Every heart in this room is with you, and that’s what really counts.”

8. “Perhaps it’s better if I live in your heart where the world can’t see me. If I am dead, there’ll be no stain on our love.”

9. “If you take my heart by surprise, the rest of my body has the right to follow.”

10. “You know his mind, but you don’t know his heart.” “We are speaking of a schizophrenic and not a valentine.” (For this one, just the first speaker’s initials are sufficient.)

BONUS ROUND (There always needs to be a bonus round. For this group, probably my equivalent of “For ten dollars, who is buried in Grant’s Tomb”:

“I am writing this to you, and I hope that you read it so you’ll know. My heart beats like a hammer, and I stutter and I stammer every time I see you at the picture show.”
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Vienna

Re: HAVE A HEART, NAME THAT QUOTE: A Valentine’s Day bit of fun

Post by Vienna »

Great quiz. Could only manage 4

1. KH

5. I B

8. G G

BONUS. J G
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Congratulations, Vienna, got us off to a good start. All four correct (and providing four more clues for the rest).

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

1. ‘KH
3 FM
5 IB
8 GG

Bonus Round: JG
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Lzcutter wrote:1. ‘KH
3 FM
5 IB
8 GG

Bonus Round: JG
Another perfect answer and another clue.

I have decided #6 is a little too esoteric; therefore, a hint in the form of another quote I rejected as too easy:

“Vera, your heart is from Tiffany’s too!”

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Did I make this too difficult?

I thought #7 would be one of the first recognized. It’s from a personal favorite film and I can hear the slimy speaker showing how "much" he cares about the boys and girls every time I read the line. It was his Oscar-winning performance.

P.S.: Apparently, it was also a personal favorite of Richie Cunningham.

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Have just caught up with the fact that there’s a right place for games. My apologies to the moderators and, should I come up with any other quizes, I’ll be sure to put them there.

In the meantime, here are a few more clues:

In #1, she’s discovered that she was going to marry the wrong man. The wedding guests are waiting.

For #2, the speaker is a fool, speaking to the person closest to her. (Watch the pronouns.)

Only a person without a heart would miss #3.

For #4, you have to imagine that the speaker is deeply in love—with his own voice! And cleanliness while you work.

Be careful who you drive crazy, or you might end up like the guy in #5.

Already told you, for #6, join Mame and Vera at their favorite stop.

Don’t care how exhausted you are, just keep on going until you have #7.

#8: Cough, cough.

The speaker in #9 is a (7 letters, begins with a b)—but not incestuous—at least not yet!

We’ve already met the first speaker in #10, but that time she was the heartless one, and not in need of a head doctor.

I’d refuse to help anyone who can’t identify the Bonus Round, except, like Groucho, I don’t want anyone to go home empty—or write me any letters.

Should there be any other responses, I won’t identify any further right answers, to keep you guessing. And Vienna and Lzcutter may, of course add to their lists, since the game is to see who can come up with the most right answers, not the quickest response.

As promised, final answers Friday.

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

The only quote I recognize is #3, but it took me a while to remember which film it was from and who spoke it. FM. The rest is unfamiliar.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

A sincere thank you to all who visited my little quiz, and a special thank you to those who responded. And herewith, the quotations with their sources:

1. ‘I don’t want to be worshiped. I want to be loved.”
Katherine Hepburn to John Howard, The Philadelphia Story

2. “You are not young, Mrs. Treadwell. You have not been young for years. Behind those old eyes you hide a 16-year-old heart.”
Vivian Leigh into the mirror, Ship of Fools

3. “A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.”
Frank Morgan to Jack Haley, The Wizard of Oz

4. “Love is eternal. It has been the strongest motivation for human action throughout centuries. Love is stronger than life. It reaches beyond the dark shadow of death.”
Clifton Webb, broadcasting, Laura

5. “Because I am mad, I have betrayed you. And, because I am mad, I’m rejoicing in my heart without a shred of regret, watching you go with glory in my heart.”
Ingrid Bergman to Charles Boyer, Gaslight

6. “Cross my heart, and kiss my elbow.”
Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany’s

7. “We’re going to miss you, Shirley. Isn’t that right, folks? So long, Shirl. But don’t despair. Every heart in this room is with you, and that’s what really counts.”
Gig Young, They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?

8. “Perhaps it’s better if I live in your heart where the world can’t see me. If I am dead, there’ll be no stain on our love.”
Greta Garbo to Robert Taylor, Camille

9. “If you take my heart by surprise, the rest of my body has the right to follow.”
Albert Finney to Joan Greenwood, Tom Jones

10. “You know his mind, but you don’t know his heart.” “We are speaking of a schizophrenic and not a valentine.”
Ingrid Bergman and the doctor discussing Gregory Peck, Spellbound

Bonus: “I am writing this to you, and I hope that you read it so you’ll know. My heart beats like a hammer, and I stutter and I stammer every time I see you at the picture show.”
Judy Garland’s “Dear Mr. Gable” lead in to “You Made Me Love You” in Broadway Melody of 1938

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]