Welcome Michael Hoey as Our Guest Author in March

Past chats with our guests.
moira finnie
Administrator

Welcome Michael Hoey as Our Guest Author in March

Post by moira finnie »

Roll out the red carpet with us as The Silver Screen Oasis welcomes Michael Hoey, the son of the classic character actor, Dennis Hoey, and an accomplished writer, editor, and producer in his own right. Our forthcoming guest has generously consented to join us on the weekend of Sat., March 15th & Sun., March 16th.

Above: Michael Hoey (center) surrounded by some of the people and films that have shaped his life and career.

Mr. Hoey grew up in Hollywood while his father was pursuing a very busy career as an actor in the studio era, memorably portraying Inspector Lestrade in the Basil Rathbone series of Sherlock Holmes films at Universal, as well as appearing in many other roles. Michael himself has worked in almost every aspect of show business as an actor, editor, writer, director and producer, gaining professional experience with legends such as John Ford on Sgt. Rutledge, George Cukor on The Chapman Report, & Martin Ritt on Sounder.

As a film editor and writer he has been recognized by the American Cinema Editors, the Writers' Guild of America, and received primetime Emmy nominations for his work on the noted television series, Fame, which Mr. Hoey wrote about in his book, Inside Fame on Television: A Behind-the-Scenes History (McFarland). In recent years, our guest author has proven himself a gifted raconteur in several other books, chronicling his own life adventures in and out of the entertainment industry in his autobiographical memoir, Elvis, Sherlock & Me: How I Survived Growing Up in Hollywood (BearManor), as well as relating an appreciation for character actors in general through his account of Sherlock Holmes & the Fabulous Faces - The Universal Pictures Repertory Company (BearManor).

Michael's most recent book, Elvis' Favorite Director: The Amazing 52-Year Career of Norman Taurog (BearManor) traces the remarkable and largely unsung story of the youngest individual to win an Academy Award (for 1931's Skippy with Jackie Cooper in the title role). Taurog, who also directed Spencer Tracy in his Oscar-winning role as Father Flanagan in Boys' Town (1938), wound up his career helming nine of Elvis Presley's films. The author's background as the screenwriter of Stay Away, Joe (1968) and Live A Little, Love A Little (1968), and as a contributing writer to four other Elvis films gave Michael a unique perspective on the star and a greater appreciation for the achievements of filmmaker Norman Taurog (1898-1981), which began decades before Elvis Presley was born.

Please click on the image below to view more about Michael Hoey's books:

Please accept this invitation to participate in our March Guest Author's visit. All are welcome!

Below are links to Online References to Our Guest's Background

Michael Hoey on IMDb

Michael Hoey Website

Upcoming Dennis Hoey Films on TCM

Dennis Hoey: A Son's Remembrance by Michael A. Hoey as told to Tom Weaver @Films of the Golden Age

Elvis, Sherlock & Me: Memoir

Elvis' Favorite Director: The Amazing 52-Year Career of Norman Taurog: A Biography

Sherlock Holmes & the Fabulous Faces - The Universal Pictures Repertory Company

Inside Fame on Television: A Behind-the-Scenes History

~Our Thanks to Scott Allen Nollen for Helping Arrange Michael Hoey's Visit to the SSO.~
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Re: Welcome Michael Hoey as Our Guest Author in March

Post by MissGoddess »

Would love to know his stories about Ford on "Rutledge", not much out there on that flawed but brave film.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

Everyone, make sure to drop in during Mike's two days on the SSO, because he has had a life and career that could qualify him as a guest for two months (sorry, Mike, but it's true, my friend!). I guarantee that you will greatly enjoy chatting with this fascinating writer and filmmaker, and all-around great guy!
Attachments
Michael A. Hoey and Scott Allen Nollen, San Clemente, CA, 2011
Michael A. Hoey and Scott Allen Nollen, San Clemente, CA, 2011
Mike and Me.jpg (99.8 KiB) Viewed 12480 times
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

And thanks again to Scott for helping to arrange this event!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

Mike Hoey details his experiences working on SERGEANT RUTLEDGE in his Foreword to my book, THREE BAD MEN: JOHN FORD, JOHN WAYNE, WARD BOND.