THE SILVER SCREEN OASIS
2007-2017
Many Thanks to All Members, Past & Present!

Sue Sue's TCM Film Festival Tidbit Travel Blog

Moderators: moira finnie, Lzcutter, Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: Sue Sue's TCM Film Festival Tidbit Travel Blog

Postby Sue Sue Applegate » May 8th, 2017, 8:42 am

Thanks so much, PT!
I'm still crafting and researching, so probably the latter half of 2018.
Miss Ritter has never been the subject of a formal, full-length biography, and I hope Barbara and Susan will give her some lattitude in the public arena. ;-)

I will definitely let everyone know about the progress of the book from time to time. :-)

pvitari

Postby pvitari » May 9th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Dear Sue-Sue,

I want to congratulate you on this wonderful new stunt you're pullin'! Well, it's -- it certainly is -- you said it!

Looking forward to having my very own copy. ;)

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Postby Sue Sue Applegate » May 15th, 2017, 11:15 pm

Thanks so much, pvitari! Look for it in the latter part of 2018.
And I hope you'll be doing all your shopping at Macy's from now on! :-)

I hope you had a blast this year at the festival. Here are some highlights from the Hand and Footprint ceremony!

Fans were waiting anxiously as they watched celebrities like Barbara Bain and Tom Bergeron arrive prior to the festivities...

On Friday, April 7, at 10 a.m., history was made in the forecourt of the TCL Chinese Theatre, as comedian and writer Carl Reiner and his son, producer and director Rob Reiner, were immortalized in cement at the annual Hand & Footprint ceremony held during the TCMFF 2017. The Reiners have the honor of being the first father-and-son duo to be honored at the same ceremony. If you were a passholder this year, you were lucky enough to be a part of this star-studded excitement!

Ben Mankiewicz opened the ceremony and introduced Tom Bergeron....

Then Billy Crystal spoke about Carl and Rob's accomplishments, and his experiences making "The Princess Bride"....

Then Carl and Rob spoke to the audience. I thought it was so sweet how Carl had his arm around Rob.

They're all just looking too tickled about all this attention. But I adore this photo of Carl Reiner, Rob Reiner, Billy Crystal, Ben Mankiewicz, and Norman Lear, courtesy of TCM.

Then everybody had to get into the act!

(L-R) President of Turner Network Sales Coleman Breland, general manager of TCM Jennifer Dorian, TV personality Tom Bergeron (Dancing With The Stars), honorees Carl Reiner and Rob Reiner, actor Billy Crystal, TCM host Ben Mankiewicz, producer Norman Lear, vice president, brand activations/partnerships, TCM Genevieve McGillicuddy and SVP of Programming for TCM Charles Tabesh (Photo by Charley Gallay/Getty Images for TCM)

I've been covering festival activities since the first festival in 2010 and this event was one of the most enjoyable gatherings I've attended. Billy Crystal remarked during his introduction honoring Carl Reiner and Rob Reiner, that Carl Reiner was "psychic. He had been saying 'The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming' way back in the 1960s."

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Postby Sue Sue Applegate » May 17th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Script Continuity expert Angela Allen graced the theatres of the #TCMFF with her presence again. She first came in 2010 and introduced Pandora and The Flying Dutchman starring Ava Garder and James Mason, discussing the mesmerizing cinematography of Jack Cardiff and the exploits of Ava on the set. In Lee Server's excellent bio of Ava Gardner, "Love Is Nothing," it was revealed that Allen did some of the stuntwork as Ava was seen swimming to the ship of 'The Flying Dutchman.'

This year Allen was interviewed by Cari Beauchamp before a screening of 1953's "Beat The Devil" with Jennifer Jones and Humphrey Bogart, directed by John Huston. Allen was Huston's go-to-script-girl (before the more profesional term 'script continuity expert' and 'script supervisor' came in vogue) and worked on "The African Queen" and many of Huston's other projects. The popularity of "Beat The Devil" at this year's fest ensured another screening as a TBA on Sunday with both Allen and Beauchamp in attendance.

Beauchamp, a writer and historian, is a popular presenter at every festival because of her lively, in-depth, well-informed presentations before screenings she introduces. Learn more about Beauchamp's credentials, books, and appearances here: [url="http://caribeauchamp.com"]http://caribeauchamp.com[/url]

Beauchamp on the #TCMFF Red Carpet with handsome son Jake...

Here Allen, who flew in from London to present at the festival, has a tete-a-tete with credentialed media Kim Luperi, who works in LA.

Pass holders are grateful that TCM always brings the best for festival fans!

Allen also worked with Sir Carol Reed on "The Third Man." Be impressed by Angela Allen's other credentials: [url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0020265/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1"]http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0020265/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1[/url]

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Postby Sue Sue Applegate » May 20th, 2017, 9:36 am

FINALLY!

Ronald Colman is Star of the Month for July! He's never even been featured in Summer Under The Stars!

'Tis a far, far better thing that they did!

Was it a random shut-out? Or was he a prisoner of his own kismet? It was the talk of the town that he was the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo. He wasn't from Dallas or Paris, but he was dedicated to his work. You might even say he was a bulldog for authenticity, not a masquerader like many from his hometown of Richmond, Surrey, England. Far be it from me to tarnish his image, but his daughter of Eve was the lovely Benita, two lovers who were lucky partners leading a double life under two flags. If he were king, there would be champagne for everyone. Thank goodness TCM came to its senses or there would have been devil to pay!

Return to “Tales from the TCM Classic Film Festival”