*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

Deborah Kerr and Peter Ustinov break into song during filming of "The Sundowners" in Australia
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Western Guy wrote:Would not Mickey have made a great Cagney in a biopic? The energy those two shared. I recall at one point there was talk of Michael J. Fox playing Cagney in a TV bio. I can see that. Sadly the biopic, along with a discussed Broadway musical, never happened. Unlikely ever will.
Mickey would have been great playing Jimmy, Jimmy's early years were quite colourful, they could have made a decent movie. I can see why they wouldn't make the biopic, what percentage of your average movie/theatre audience would know who Cagney was, let alone what movies he made. I'd love to see antoher actor who had Cagney's energy and skill.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Alexis Smith and Humphrey Bogart on the set of "Conflict"
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

You know Alison, I remember reading something quite sad shortly after Cagney passed on. A video store manager in New York was quoted as saying that even before Jimmy died he`d moved the Cagney VHS tapes to the back of the store since no one was renting them anymore. I`m sure that also went for other movies of the classic era.

Well, for me I`m simply hard-pressed to find anything worthwhile to go to the movies to see - or rent or purchase on DVD. For the longest time my wife and I have been trying to find a movie to get excited about, but just can`t find one. Would rather stay at home and watch an oldie on TCM - or one of my DVDs, a good 90 % of which are pre-1960.

P.S. Bogie looks amazingly happy in that photo, considering he tried every tactic possible to get out of doing CONFLICT.
PinkPeril

Post by PinkPeril »

Wow, look at Alexis Smith's cinched waist, how could she breathe let alone laugh?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
ELLEN BURSTYN is 80 today

ELI WALLACH is 97 today

FRANCES GIFFORD (1919 - 1994)

HURD HATFIELD (1917 - 1998)

ROD CAMERON (1910 - 1983)

CLINTON SUNDBERG (1903 - 1987)

FAY BAINTER (1893 - 1968)
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

A most wonderful birthday to the incredible Eli Wallach. What a super guy! I lined him up for a radio interview with MODA Entertainment and he couldn`t have been kinder or more accomodating. The big surprise came when he sent me a personalized 8x10 of him as Tuco (with noose around the neck, yet!) from THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY. Enormous admirer of Eli, both as an actor and a person.God bless him and Anne. Health and Happiness to both!
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

P.S. Bogie looks amazingly happy in that photo, considering he tried every tactic possible to get out of doing CONFLICT.[/quote]

Oh yes, if you read Rudy Behlmer's INSIDE WARNER BROS, there is a record of a long phone call between Bogart and Jack Warner in which Bogie literally pleads with Warner to let him out of making CONFLICT. To be honest, the actor sounds a little pathetic and it is obvious he is not going to win.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Studio moguls like J.L. and L.B. were notorious for laying guilt trips upon their actors. Like the classic story of when Robert Taylor went in to see Mayer about getting a raise. When he emerged from the office, he was asked if he secured a pay increase. Taylor apparently replied: "No, but I gained a father."
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Marlon Brando on the set of "The Wild One"
Joseph Goodheart
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

How could any man not smile around Alexis Smith! :lol: Loved Kerr and Ustinov in a musical mood, Mongo. (I guess I just had to stop by and alliterate!)
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Western Guy wrote:You know Alison, I remember reading something quite sad shortly after Cagney passed on. A video store manager in New York was quoted as saying that even before Jimmy died he`d moved the Cagney VHS tapes to the back of the store since no one was renting them anymore. I`m sure that also went for other movies of the classic era.

Well, for me I`m simply hard-pressed to find anything worthwhile to go to the movies to see - or rent or purchase on DVD. For the longest time my wife and I have been trying to find a movie to get excited about, but just can`t find one. Would rather stay at home and watch an oldie on TCM - or one of my DVDs, a good 90 % of which are pre-1960.

P.S. Bogie looks amazingly happy in that photo, considering he tried every tactic possible to get out of doing CONFLICT.
I can't remember when I last went to the pictures except to a kids showing, I think it was for The King's Speech, I find there is precious little I want to watch on the big or small screen, the small screen I'm sure I'll get back into once the kids are older (too many interuptions to ever get into anything). Most of my movies are pre 1960 too.

I remember buying a Madonna album in the mid 80s which had a track dedicated to Cagney with lines from White Heat (I think).

Humphrey might not have wanted to make the movie but Alexis Smith, what's not to smile about, she so beautiful and classy looking.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I absolutely LOVE Madonna, though it does trouble me that she overshadows her natural talent with outrageous - and offensive, to some - embellishments. Have no knowledge of the Madonna album which you mention, but if she references Cagney -- RIGHT ON!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Mary Astor and Sandra Dee relax during filming of "A Stranger in My Arms"
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Forgive me, don't want to sound cruel -- but did anyone ever find Mary Astor attractive?