Loretta Young

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

Loretta Young

Post by mrsl »

Now towards the end of her SUTS day, I'm curious what the consensus is on Ms. Young. Up to now, we've really only been able to enjoy her talents via The Bishop's Wife and Rachel and the Stranger. Today however, we've received a whole boat load of the lovely lady. Not only is she beautiful, and stayed that way quite far into the 80's, but perhaps you can see why her weekly show, consisting of half-hour short stories, usually with her in the starring role, was so popular for many years. She was capable of so many different roles, and I'm glad TCM fans got a glimpse of her today.

Hopefully more days like this will occur with the added libraries they recently acquired. With some digging, perhaps the programmers will find work done by all those fine Columbia stars we know so little about, as well as the FOX people who were loaned out to Columbia.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Moraldo Rubini

The Young Loretta

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Unfortunately, the only Loretta Young film that fit in with my schedule today was The Bishop's Wife. I enjoy this film, but I've seen it many times and like to save it for winter now. I'm more interested in her early works. I've seen some of her pre-code movies and really enjoy this earlier persona. Last year I was wishing that TCM kept their regular schedules while still celebrating a different star each day. And Loretta Young was one of my choices for a Sunday. This way when it came time for Silent Sundays, they could play one of her silent films. The scope of her career is really something! From silent gamine in the 1920's, to ingenue in the 1930's, to leading lady in the 1940's and '50's. I wish that she'd continued to work more into the 1960's and 70's, but women's roles -- especially mature women's -- melted away then.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Are you saying you didn't tape or DVR or Tivo or whatever, today? All morning there were several 30's films on, I'm sorry you didn't check it out. I have to admit, I fell asleep during Along Came Jones, and I missed one early this a.m., but other than those, I've been more or less glued to the TV all day.

Anne
Anne

Moraldo Rubini

The Simple Life

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

That right. Tivo terrifies me. DVR's are dangerous. And no, I don't tape. My relationship with TCM isn't virtual; it's in real time.
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

To me "The Bishop's Wife" is close to perfection as a film.

The first half of "The Farmer's Daughter" is lovely in the way it develops context, with the solid and animated chemistry of the Young, Cotton, Barrymore, and Bickford characters. After the Young character gets into the politics, the plot narrows and the film become less interesting to me, but overall a lot of fun for me to watch for the first time.
feaito

Post by feaito »

"The Bishop's Wife" has been a favorite since I was a youngster, but after "discovering" the 1930's Loretta as an adult, I must say that I prefer her Pre-Codes.... most notably the excellent 1933 film "Midnight Mary", a true gem.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Re: The Simple Life

Post by pktrekgirl »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:That right. Tivo terrifies me. DVR's are dangerous. And no, I don't tape. My relationship with TCM isn't virtual; it's in real time.
TiVo terrifies you? :?

Might I ask why?

I mean, it doesn't GET any more user-friendly than TiVo. Seriously. Guided set-up is very easy and TiVo customer support is excellent...and is there to hand-hold you if you don't think so. And once the thing is set up, the only skills you need to be able to operate a TiVo are the ability to read and the ability to use arrow keys and the 'enter' button.

It is WAY, WAY easier to use than a VCR. No timers, even.

If you can operate a VCR, you can operate a TiVo without question.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

trekky wrote:TiVo terrifies you? :? Might I ask why?
It's not the operation of TiVo that terrifies me, it's the movie addiction; I'm afraid I'd never leave the house. I'd spend every spare minute catching up, fast forwarding through commercials so that I can watch even more! Racing home to see what my little TiVo chose for me to watch that day. There's a whole world out there, and I want to be part of it. With TiVo I'd be doomed to wearing a bathrobe while eating delivery food and TV dinners. Life is a banquet; I don't want to starve.

I'm coming Auntie Mame! Just let me turn off my television set and I'll be right behind you!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moraldo:

I understand completely because that's exactly where I am right now due to my knees and my restricted budget. Quitting smoking has helped a little, but since I actually stopped buying patches, there have been grandkids birthdays, and graduations that I couldn't ignore, not to mention gas prices and car repairs, and blah, blah, blah. But stick to your guns, I've teased you but I envy you also the energy and ability to do and see all the places you do, as you well know. :lol:

Anne
Anne

pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:
trekky wrote:TiVo terrifies you? :? Might I ask why?
It's not the operation of TiVo that terrifies me, it's the movie addiction; I'm afraid I'd never leave the house. I'd spend every spare minute catching up, fast forwarding through commercials so that I can watch even more! Racing home to see what my little TiVo chose for me to watch that day. There's a whole world out there, and I want to be part of it. With TiVo I'd be doomed to wearing a bathrobe while eating delivery food and TV dinners. Life is a banquet; I don't want to starve.

I'm coming Auntie Mame! Just let me turn off my television set and I'll be right behind you!
Isn't that funny! Because I look at TiVo from the exact opposite perspective. It frees me up to watch whatever I like without having to schedule my life around it. The television schedule is completely irrelevant to me - my TiVo records what I ask it to, and I watch it at times that fit into my schedule. Sometimes it takes me three days to get through a film, because I have so little time that I watch it in three increments right before bed. And yeah, I *do* fast forward through commercials...which gives me 15 minutes back out of each hour-long TV show. 15 minutes that I can spend doing something else: reading, walking the dog, laundry, phoning a family member or friend - whatever.

But then, I'm one who gets bored easily, so I guess that helps. I could never sit all day and watch film after film. I think the most films I've ever watched in a single day is three - and those were all short 'fluffy' ones on a rainy Sunday when I wasn't feeling so hot. And that has only occurred once to my remembrance. But rarely do I watch more than 1 in an evening, for example. Or three over a single weekend. Many weeks I don't even get thorough that!

For me TiVo is a time saver - not a time waster. But I guess others' mileage may vary! :lol:
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper