Filmmakers' Favorites

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Filmmakers' Favorites

Post by moira finnie »

Most of us are aware of the tendency of many classic era directors to use actors repeatedly, especially when they were under contract to a studio where they were working. The primary examples of this might be John Ford's tendency to establish a "repertory company" of sorts for decades during his filming led to a cohesiveness among such familiar players as Victor McLaglen, John Wayne, Harry Carey Sr. (and Jr., aka Dobie) and Frank Capra's repeated use of certain character actors.

Yet, sometimes, one can also see that one actor may turn up repeatedly in another given filmmaker's work. Here's a few who were repeatedly used by the same people:

A young George Chandler.

George Chandler, who pops up in no less than 22 of William Wellman's movies, from The Robin Hood of El Dorado (1936) to The High and the Mighty (1954). Sometimes he's a cabbie, deliveryboy or, as in the case of Roxie Hart (1942), he has a delightful part as a hapless husband of Ginger Rogers' character.

An older George Chandler.

Another example of an actor who was a kind of "good luck charm" for some filmmakers would be the ubiquitous Ian Wolfe. In his autobiography, producer (and sometime writer, actor & director) John Houseman, mentioned that he never felt right unless he used the versatile Mr. Wolfe in one of his six postwar productions from They Live By Night (1948) to Moonfleet (1955). Wolfe, who has about 275+ movies and productions to his name, lived almost a century and did his last appearance on film in Dick Tracy (1990), just 2 years prior to his death.

Ian Wolfe, whose appearance really didn't change substantially from the '30s to the '90s.

Can you think of other actors whose presence in a cast lineup has struck you?
Last edited by moira finnie on September 4th, 2007, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moraldo Rubini

Capracorn

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Frank Capra also liked employing certain character actors repeatedly over the years. I know one of them was H. B. Warner, who can be found in:

Here Comes the Groom
It's a Wonderful Life
Lost Horizon
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
You Can't Take It with You

Ward Bond seems to have been a favorite of many. He was in a lot of westerns, but Capra also liked him and used him in:

Broadway Bill
Lady for a Day
It Happened One Night
You Can't Take It with You
It's a Wonderful Life
Riding High
benwhowell

That's what's-his-name!

Post by benwhowell »

A more recent example of a "filmmaker's favorite" would be character actor Tracey Walter-
http://www.dougmacaulay.com/kingspud/ph ... alterc.jpg
Jonathan Demme has used him six times-"Something Wild," "Married To The Mob," "The Silence Of The Lambs," "Philadelphia," "Beloved" and "The Manchurian Candidate." It's always fun for me to watch for Walter to "pop up." Least favorite character-the "helpful" librarian in "Philadelphia."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

William Demarest appears in most of Preston Sturges' best known movies.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Jack Pennick,Fred Graham,OZ>Whitehead, John Qualen,Harry Carey (jr ) are just the beginning of the actors how appearred in numerous John Ford Films.
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

Every time I see Ian Wolfe I say to myself "hey, it's Mr. Atoz", from Star Trek.