This week on SVENGOOLIE...

RedRiver

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by RedRiver »

Was Rex Reason as terrible an actor as I suspect?

There's Reason to believe that!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:Was Rex Reason as terrible an actor as I suspect?

There's Reason to believe that!
Ohhhh, okay. That's Reasonable.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

He works Reasonably well with Jeff Morrow.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Next stop...THIS ISLAND EARTH. There will be a fifteen minute rest period for rubber chickens, bad jokes and aliens with large heads!
Last edited by RedRiver on October 19th, 2012, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

. . . And don't forget The Professor (Russell Johnson) minus Mary Ann and the rest ---
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This weekend, Henry Hull as a rock singer whose record, WEREWOLF OF LONDON, becomes an overnight sensation. Warren Zevon co-stars in this groundbreaking thriller. AH-OOO!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like WEREWOLF OF LONDON. I just don't love it. It's dramatic and atmospheric once the doctor FINALLY becomes wolfy. Dark streets, fog, a sadness as he realizes what must, and must not, be done. But the first half of the story is slow. Science, premise, talk, more talk. Grow some hair already. Start howling! Mr. Henry Hull, of Louisville, KY, delivers an entertaining caricature of a biologist who risks everything for research, and pays the price. Warner Oland, (of Sweden?) and Spring Byington offer sturdy support. The story is...well, you know the story!

Six years later, the same studio would release the werewolf adventure to which all others must compare. George Waggner's THE WOLFMAN takes off like a rocket and never lets up. No tedious plot development here. Characters are drawn, conflict established, and excitement introduced in no time. It's efficiently formatted, and a thrilling little carnival ride. Henry Hull and his impressive sideburns are credible entertainment. But they're surely shorn by Larry Talbot's Salon!

Once The Louisville Lycanthrope took the fatal bullet, I switched to The Weird Public Access Channel and watched something called HORROR HOTEL. Shockingly low budget (and worn print), black and white, kind of a patchwork look to it. But I was impressed. Christopher Lee in a creepy, gothic story of witches, devil worship and persecution. I only saw half of it, and can't judge the continuity. But the atmosphere is effective. I wouldn't mind checking into HORROR HOTEL. Sorry!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

More later, but here's the coming month's worth of films on Me-TV's Svengoolie

NOV 3
Curse of the Werewolf

NOV 10
Dracula

NOV 17
Ghost of Frankenstein

NOV 24
Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I haven't seen CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF in 609 years!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

A lot of people dislike CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF and it was not one of Hammer's biggest successes, but for me it is one of the best lycanthrope movies and one of my top five favorite monster films. Yes, the beast does not appear until the end but, for the most part, I find the back story highly compelling. The legend of how Leon became a werewolf is most interesting and his gradual awakening to his heritage and struggle to control the monster is intriguing. BTW: Has anyone read the novel "The Beast Within"? The author Edward Levy definitely was influenced by CURSE or my name ain't Stone (and legally it is).

CURSE also features one of the most claustrophobic moments in horror cinema when Michael Ripper (wonderful actor) finds himself locked in a jail cell with the transforming Oliver Reed. Reminds me somewhat of the trailer scene between Joe Don Baker and Andrew Robinson in CHARLEY VARRICK. Presents a feeling of helpless terror taken to the extreme.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I really liked the first half of CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF. Then I woke up and VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA was on! I had passed out as big as you please. For all I knew, David Hedison was a vampire! "Curse" looked good, though. Story oriented, not afraid to take its time. I'd like to watch it again when I'm awake!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I understand from Facebook Svengoolie suffered a heart attack. Chicago's Rich Koz in real life, the TV personality is reported to be recovering satisfactorily. My best wishes to this completely insane individual!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

As we hope Svengoolie continues to recover from cardiac issues, we have another chance to enjoy DRACULA this weekend. THE...Dracula! Sven ran this one a few months ago. But, as I recall, my reception on this fragile, unpredictable channel received a stake through the heart and I was unable to watch. As I've just seen a fine community theatre production of the classic, I may as well treat myself to this one. The Children of the Night are calling!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN. With Lon's Drainage, Evelyn's Ankles, and Sir Cedric's Hard...I guess this has gone far enough! Not much to say about a movie that was just on a few months ago. Next week: ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE. With Boris Car Lot!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Well, A and C Meet J and H is not too bad. Few, if any A and C efforts are memorable. But there's an element of lightness that's pleasant. The players have so much fun, we can't help but join in! Boris brings a lot to any project. If the story is horror related, self parody to Mr. Karloff, so much the better. I won't spend a lot of time on this one. You've seen it all before. But I like Svengoolie's program. And it was at least as good as anything else on TV at that time!