Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger films

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Konway

Re: Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger films

Post by Konway »

Kingrat,
I will certainly look into Thelma Schoonmaker interview. I read that Pressburger was strongly involved in "the cutting" of Powell and Pressburger films and he also worked with music composers on the type of music that should be composed for the film.

What I meant by "I wish Powell was more involved with the development of the structure of Peeping Tom" was that I felt there were some flaws in the film that could have been removed.
Konway

Post by Konway »

I read Thelma Schoonmaker interview. Its interesting to see that Powell's favorite was A Matter of Life and Death.
Konway

Post by Konway »

Upto now, I don't think I have talked much about The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943). What do you all think about this film?
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like it. I don't know if it's as wonderful as some suggest. I prefer I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING, even A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH. But "Col. Blimp" is fine. No complaints.
Konway

Post by Konway »

I also consider "I know Where I'm Going (1945)" as the best work of Powell and Pressburger. But I like Colonel Blimp as the second best along with Black Narcissus. Clive Candy was a man who stayed the same throughout his life with his beliefs, his romance, his friendship, and all the moral values. Even when he grew old, we see that he is still the same inside. I think Edith, Barbara, and Angela (all played by Deborah Kerr) is a "physical" representation of Clive Candy's "unchangeable" personality.

Compared to Clive Candy, we see how much a soldier like Theo Kretschmar (Anton Walbrook) has changed throughout his life. We see how Clive Candy's friendship towards Theo stayed the same throughout life. Although Theo Kretschmar's friendship was very much towards Candy, still his friendship towards Candy decreased until his old age when he needed Candy's support to live in England. The physical appearance of Angela also showed both Theo and the audience how much Candy stayed the same throughout his life through his romance, his friendship, and his moral values. Clive Candy was a man of his word.
Last edited by Konway on November 15th, 2012, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote:The visual design of Colonel Blimp is pretty amazing. The coordination of the costumes and sets can make your jaw drop. I like the story and the actors, too, but the look of the film is what impresses me the most.
I agree wholeheartedly kingrat!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Konway wrote:I also consider "I know Where I'm Going (1945)" as the best work of Powell and Pressburger. But I like Colonel Blimp as the second best. Clive Candy was a man who stayed the same throughout his life with his beliefs, his romance, his friendship, and all the moral values. Even when he grew old, we see that he is still the same inside. I think Edith, Barbara, and Angela (all played by Deborah Kerr) is a "physical" representation of Clive Candy's "unchangeable" personality.
Konway, I got to check out this movie ... "I know Where I'm Going" .... you got me intrigued here
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like Col. Blimp, don't get me wrong, but I simply do not 'get' it. What is it? Is it "there will always be an England?" What does it mean? That the military has to change with the times? It baffles me.

For me it's Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes all the way. I love the others, but to me these are the master works. Even though the script for The Red Shoes is weaker than some of the others, I agree, the details, the magic of it, the color and the work that went into it seem far above anything else I can think of. The Red Shoes really speaks to me on a creative level. However, I haven't seen A Matter of Life and Death for years and years. I don't even remember any of it except the beginning on the beach. I may change my mind after I've seen it again.
Konway

Post by Konway »

Unfortunately, I don't remember "there will always be an England." Do you know where this line is mentioned in Colonel Blimp?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, kingrat! That's what I get from it. I think perhaps I'm thinking that it should be more complex than it really is, and I get bogged down by my own expectations. I've liked it better and better on each subsequent viewing. My main problem is that I adore the Anton Walbrook character, and only just barely like the Livesey character. I am not quite sure if this isn't purposeful on P&P's part.

Konway - "There will always be an England" was a patriotic song or poem, one line of which people have used to denote time passing, other places changing, but England remaining the same in our memories and her heart of hearts.
I give you a toast Ladies and gentlemen,
I give you a toast Ladies and gentlemen
May this fair land we love so well,
In Dignity and freedom dwell.
while worlds may change and go awry,
Whilst there is still one voice to cry!---
There'll always be an England,
While there's a country lane.
Wherever there's a cottage small
Beside a field of grain
There'll always be an England
While there's a busy street.
Wherever there's a turning wheel
A million marching feet.
Red, white and blue
What does it mean to you?
Surely you're proud
Shout it loud
Britons awake!
The Empire too
We can depend on you.
Freedom remains
These are the chains
Nothing can break.
There'll always be an England
And England shall be free
If England means as much to you
As England means to me.
Konway

Post by Konway »

Oh I see. Thanks for the information, Jack Favell. I must say kingrat gave a great informative answer to your question. With me, I like Clive Candy (Livesey) because he valued his friendship with Theo and respected Theo (Anton Walbrook) as a soldier. Thanks to Clive Candy, Theo can live peacefully in England in his old age.

One of the reasons I like about Black Narcissus is its depiction of disturbed character like Sister Ruth. One of the reasons have to do with Kathleen Byron's persistence. For Example, A particular problem scene was Sister Ruth's arrival at the house of the man she loves, Dean. Kathleen Byron said, "She's very happy now she's in his presence." But Powell wanted her to dart all over the place. Kathleen said no, and he walked off the set. Jack Cardiff (the cameraman) asked "Are we ready?" and Powell replied, "Ask her." When it was finished he said it wasn't what he intended, but it was very good.

There is a fine connection between a character like Sister Ruth in Black Narcissus and Crocker Harris (played by Michael Redgrave) in Anthony Asquith's The Browning Version (1951).
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I just got done with "I Know Where I'm Going." Trying to decide whether it's a travelogue wrapped in a movie or the other way 'round. It's a lovely little film full of all the charms of movies made in these out of the way places. People who are at the same time touched by the world outside of their place but so far removed from it.

It is an expertly done film about practically nothing and therein lies its charm. As the relationship develops between Livesy and Hiller it is wonderful the way he always inches closer so carefully for her not to notice. Her determination to get to the island almost undoes her character. Her desire to "run from him" as the other lady so appropriately puts it does seem over the top in the danger department but then we knew they would make it.

I've not seen many films by Hiller but she is certainly more animated here than the others. Typically charming locals fill out the rest of the town in fine seemingly authentic style. Well done.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It's a lovely little film full of all the charms of movies made in these out of the way places.

That it is. I think it's the duo's finest film.