WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

No, it doesn't detract at all. Some of mt favorite scenes in Unmarried are the ones with Clayburgh's daughter and her friends. they are very fresh and honest, probably more progressive than we ever get today, sadly. I want to punch Michael Murphy every time he's on screen, I once met himin real life and had tp fight that same urge... :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't see Murphy's character as despicable. Selfish, unrealistic. But not a terrible person. It's Cliff Gorman's character I can't stand. Walking ego, for no reason. I've known guys like that.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I want to punch Michael Murphy every time he's on screen
Between playing Martin in AN UNMARRIED WOMAN and Yale in MANHATTAN within a year, he seemed at the time to be the go-to guy for whiny, self-centered men you'd love to punch.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I CAN'T! I CAN'T!! I CAN'T!!!

I just couldn't watch the Lindsay Lohan Lifetime bio-pic of Elizabeth Taylor. I would feel disloyal. How could I do that to Elizabeth....An ex-member of TCM City just FaceBook'd that he would wear adult diapers so as not to miss a moment of it.

I pray he changes his mind.

Wendy - I'm so happy you caught "SKYFALL." ( YAY! Did Jackie Cooper tears work on your husband? ) I'm hoping to read a spirited review from you.
Pretty please.

( P.S. you should have punched Michael Murphy! What a great story that would make for the Message Board thirty years later; the arrest and jail time you served...but the satisfaction of decking a smarmy guy! )
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]MOVIEMAN1957[/u] wrote:The most wonderful things about Ealing comedies is that they make you smile. Sometimes you laugh out loud but you certainly smile. There's a genteel quality to them that even when things are going wrong for one of the characters those situations are met with a calm and almost inevitable feeling that things will work out. Maybe not the way every one planned but all will be fine...
I just watched “THE MAGGIE” myself a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it very much as I did your review, MM. You hit the nail on the head with just one word: “genteel.” That describes it to the “T.” That’s the quality I couldn’t put into one word. The film also opened my eyes to Paul Douglas. I shall be looking for him in the future. It took a lovely British comedy to make me see an American actor very differently.

Aaaaaahhhhh, girls:

Image Image

Is it worth going through a bad marriage to get to these two hirsute hunks? I'm thinkin'...yeah, maybe. I'll tell you this, I wouldn't suffer through a bad marriage long, that is for sure. I haven't seen either movie in a long time but I know there were serious issues that both women had to deal with.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Isn't it funny? I never realized they are practically the same guy! :D :D :D I guess I should be happy it's not Alan Alda...

speaking of the same guy, I always think that Michael Murphy and Tony Roberts got rooked by Woody Allen, since they are interchangeable in his films.

Here's the really funny thing about meeting Michael Murphy. He was on a panel of minor guest stars at a Yale theatre conference I went to. I looked right at him as I went up to the table, reached RIGHT OVER HIM to shake Austin Pendleton's hand (which was small and rather yellow)! Now girls which gent would YOU run up to to get their autograph? I must have been on drugs or something. But what can I say? I LOVE Austin Pendleton.

ImageImage
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Now girls which gent would YOU run up to to get their autograph?
I don't know about the girls, but his portrayal of doofus Moodus in support
of the Great One (and how many other wonderful comedians are in this clip?)
makes the choice easy for me.
[youtube][/youtube]
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

" A chair for Dad's girl---for the lady!"

CONFESSION 243: I've never seen "CATCH-22."

OMG!! That clip was hilarious, ChiO!!! I've got to see this movie. The BEST way to play comedy is to play it straight. Masters all. Who was that lady?

J.F., I totally can see your choice. go for the brains...and the humor, ev'ry time. Looks fade. Smarminess stays. ( Murphy was at the film fest this April. Or was that Roberts.... They were both there. )

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

CineMaven wrote: I just watched “THE MAGGIE” myself a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it very much as I did your review, MM. You hit the nail on the head with just one word: “genteel.” That describes it to the “T.” That’s the quality I couldn’t put into one word. The film also opened my eyes to Paul Douglas. I shall be looking for him in the future. It took a lovely British comedy to make me see an American actor very differently.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

If you want to check out a similar type for Douglas check out "The Solid Gold Cadillac." As a bonus you get Judy Holliday.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

That was no lady, CM...that was Susanne Benton. CATCH-22 was the height of her career.

It is a work of genius to make something a simple as Danby...D-A-N-B-Y hilarious.

When CATCH-22 came out in June 1970, I saw it three times that summer. You might call it my SKYFALL of 1970.

It was also the first DVD I purchased.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

When CATCH-22 came out in June 1970, I saw it three times that summer. You might call it my SKYFALL of 1970.

It was also the first DVD I purchased.
So that's what warped you for life, eh? I mean that in the best way.... :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

movieman1957 wrote:Thank you. I appreciate it. If you want to check out a similar type for Douglas check out "The Solid Gold Cadillac." As a bonus you get Judy Holliday.
You're welcome, MovieMan. And thanxx for the "solid gold" tip. I've bypassed that movie for years. I'll have to seek it out. See...I just need a genteel brick wall for my noggin'.

ChiO wrote:That was no lady, CM...that was Susanne Benton. CATCH-22 was the height of her career. It is a work of genius to make something a simple as Danby...D-A-N-B-Y hilarious. When CATCH-22 came out in June 1970, I saw it three times that summer. You might call it my SKYFALL of 1970...

HA!! Got it, ChiO. Well well Ms. Benton. Her scene reminds me of the blonde washing her car in "COOL HAND LUKE." But the stampede with the chairs cracked me up!!! And Martin Balsam peeking out and spelling Richard Benjamin's name...funny. My sister saw this in the theater and liked this movie back then. But I was like, "Naaaah!" I'll have to check it out. And I'll also have to look at what films came out in 1970 and see what I was gravitating to as a teenager. ( It was a very good year... ) Would kids today be smart enough for movies made in 1970?

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

OY! I can't think of a kid today who would be able to comprehend any of the movies from that year!

Maven, the movie is brilliant. It captures the ridiculousness not just of war, but of arbitrary rules in general. I think you'd really like it's cynical, hilarious, epic and somewhat frightening perspective. Great script, great actors. I think this was one of the first grown up, modern novels I ever read, and although I would not say that the film is exactly like the book, it's as close as a movie could possibly come to it.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Your recommendation is my command, Jaxxxon.

"Dr. Strangelove" comes to mind.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's like Strangelove and M*A*S*H and Cool Hand Luke and maybe a bit of Harold and Maude all rolled into one. Yet it was published in 1961, before any of them were made. It was a highly influential book.