The Ultimate Western Cliche

Western Guy

The Ultimate Western Cliche

Post by Western Guy »

Curious to get some feedback on this.

Is there one scene that seems to be shown ad nauseum in Western movies?

I watch a lot of Westerns and it seems that at least in every second one there's that moment where someone is shot off a horse, foot gets stuck in the stirrup and his body gets dragged off along rough terrain to . . . who knows where?

Granted, a cool effect but it's been done to death.

Anyhoo, any other Western cliches you can think of . . .
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The Ultimate Western Cliche

Post by movieman1957 »

You can be certain that in most westerns the mirror over the bar in any saloon is doomed.

This is less a cliche than a question. Why would a bunch of cowboys after spending so much time in the saddle on a long hot day sit down to a pot of hot coffee? Not being a coffee drinker I thought it would only make them hotter.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
tinker

Post by tinker »

Two of my favourite ones are also to do with horses. Cowboy comes in tired and worn out and leaves the horse out front still saddled and bridled.

The other one is when they do take the saddle off they tie the horse up with a bridle (and bit) still on. Don't they ever feed the horses, or tether them to graze.

Oh and another one. Cowboys (and John Wayne) who lie down on beds still wearing boots and spurs.

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The gun being held by the Bad Guy gets shot out of his hand by the Good Guy (and it is the gun that is shot because there's no blood).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

How come the bad guys always wears a Black Hat ... as in Kirk Douglas in The Villian, Humphrey Bogart in The Oklahoma Kid, and Jack Palance in Shane ... always have a Black Hat on. To me, its pretty easy to spot the bad guys in the films.

I often wonder about that ...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Some how this topic reminds me of this:

[youtube][/youtube]
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

My bad. :( I admit an ulterior motive here. As I work on my 6th Western novel I want so much to avoid cliches. Am aware of most (like the high noon showdown) but some I might miss so I really appreciate your input, people.

Mucho thanks! You guys provided some goodies to keep away from.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

That's a great idea.

Should we keep 'em coming?
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Why would a bunch of cowboys after spending so much time in the saddle on a long hot day sit down to a pot of hot coffee?

That's my feeling about hats. The men are finally in out of the sun. And they leave their hats on? Of course, in a movie, hats look cool! We don't need to see a bunch of bare-headed cowpokes sloshing down beer. In the real world? My ten gallons would be on the bar!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You can get as many stereotyped characters as situations. Among the most prominent was the hot head young gun smart aleck kid who thought he could best anyone. Not hardly.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The first episode of BONANZA opens with the four main characters establishing their types. Ben giving orders. Adam seeing to business. Joe talking about girls. Then there's Hoss. "When are we gonna eat? Dad-burn it, Hop-Sing!" A scuffle around the living room launches into, arguably, the most memorable opening credits of all time. Nicely done, boys!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Good heavens. I can hear Blocker say that.
Chris

Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

movieman1957 wrote:You can get as many stereotyped characters as situations. Among the most prominent was the hot head young gun smart aleck kid who thought he could best anyone. Not hardly.
Where that did work effectively was with Skip Homeier's "Hunt" character in THE GUNFIGHTER. But you're right, movieman, the character did become a tiresome cliche, both on TV Westerns and in movies.

I'll keep away from the "fast draw kid" in my Western writing. Thanks MM.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The girl's brother (usually the hot headed kid) is going to die, no matter what.

The villain always waits to kill the good guy so he can torture him first. WHY oh WHY do they always do that?

More than six bullets in a six shooter. (N/A for books, Stone. :D )
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The hero's past catches up to him, his old gang pulls him back into dastardly doin's, or they tell the whole town...

The seemingly benign storekeeper/mayor/banker who is head of the ruthless gang.

The head saloon gal with a heart of gold.

The drunken sidekick who was 'ruint' by a heartless woman (usually a saloon girl)
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard