Newbie silents

SSO Admins
Administrator

Newbie silents

Post by SSO Admins »

I have a couple of friends I'm trying to convince of the value of silent film. If you were trying to convince someone that silents are a worthy and viable art form, what five films would you recommend?

I have my own ideas, but I'd like yours. Remember, these are neophytes.

/j
charliechaplinfan

Re: Newbie silents

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Wings

City Lights

The Crowd

Steamboat Bill jnr

Pandora's Box

These are off the top of my head and always subject to change but these are all quite dynamic in their own way.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hmmm. An interesting quandary comes up with this question. To show them something they can relate to as if it were a talking picture? or to show them something that could only be made as a silent? How to capture someone's attention with one movie (or five)? Do you try for modern and simple? or go for the most artistic films available?

I've always thought that an introduction to silent film should be an easy thing, enjoyable above all, so I guess my first choices would be films that modern audiences and people could relate to or have fun watching.

1. Modern Times

alternate: Two Arabian Knights
alternate: Tell It To the Marines

2. Sunrise The Story of Two Humans
alternate: The Wonderful Lies of Nina Petrovna

3. The Thief of Baghdad
alternate: The Doll (1919) Lubitsch

4. The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg
alternate: A Kiss For Cinderella

5. The Crowd
alternate: The Big Parade
alternate: He Who Gets Slapped

At this point if they are still interested, I guess I'd throw them into the lion's den with The Passion of Jeanne D'Arc or Pandora's Box, or The Man Who Laughs.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anything with Douglas Fairbanks, Sr!

Some of my faves:

A Modern Musketeer

The Mystery of the Leaping Fish

Thief of Bagdad

The Mollycoddle

The Black Pirate

The Iron Mask

and, of course, the classics:

Robin Hood

The Mark of Zorro

The Three Musketeers
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I find Buster Keaton to be a good intro into silents. His stunts always inspire awe, and he's funny.

Sandy K
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, Sandy, and there's also a sort of agelessness about some of Keaton's films that sits well with a new audience.
feaito

Post by feaito »

City Lights
The Crowd
The Big Parade
The Godless Girl
Tempest
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's a good group too, Fer!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Wendy; you are always so nice to me. You make me feel so welcome. I'd added "Modern Times", "He Who Gets Slapped" and "Wings", but I had to narrow it down to 5....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank YOU fer! You did admirably! As you can see, I never actually narrowed my list. I can't believe how badly I cheated. I have no self control. :D
feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:Thank YOU fer! You did admirably! As you can see, I never actually narrowed my list. I can't believe how badly I cheated. I have no self control. :D
Naahhhh!! :wink:
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

All things being equal, I definitely think you would want to show them something from the later twenties, when the medium was more fully developed. I think it takes a lot of forbearance to sit through the earlier silents. Once they get used to the silent mode, then I think they would settle in for some of the older work.

Every time I watch The Patsy with Marion Davies, I think, "Wow, this is so fresh, anyone would enjoy it." The pacing is great, Marion charms completely, and the plot is timeless.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
feaito

Post by feaito »

Excellent choice Intothenitrate, I had forgotten "The Patsy"; an excellent introduction for a newbie in the world of Silent Film.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think The Patsy is a super choice too.

I once showed the Keaton short One Week to my class at school, as part of a course where we had to show how to do something and also explain and teach about something. What I loved about the experience was that we got feedback on our presentations, and so when the film was over, I was able to ask people what they thought of the film. A lot of people said that they were thinking they'd be bored, or that silent movies were old fashioned, but through the experience they all said that the movie completely shattered those misconceptions for them. They were really shocked at the raciness of the bath scene, and were happily confounded by the train scene, which takes a silent movie trope and completely destroys it. They all said they were surprised at how much they enjoyed the film.