The forgotten UK actress Anne Crawford

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

The forgotten UK actress Anne Crawford

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne Crawford, like Kay Kendall shortly after her, died of Leukemia in her 30s. While it seems likely that Kay was on the verge of International stardom at the time of her death, I'm not so sure about Anne, though I'd like to think I was wrong. My reason for saying so is that looking at her career when it got into the 50s, is that she was doing a lot of television and comparing her to Millions Like Us co-star Patrica Roc, who after 40s stardom ended up guesting in tv drama's Like Dixon Of Dock Green and retiring after the pilot of The Saint in 1962, that the same fate might have befallen Anne.

However, she and Patrica Roc were revelations in Millions Like Us. Anne played an upper class young woman drafted into factory work with working class girls like Pat Roc and Megs Jenkins. The main theme of Anne's role was her relationship with factory foreman Eric Portman which is uneasy to begin with but turns to love, but we never find out of the class difference between them makes a difference.

I also like Anne in the cop movie Street Corner which I discuss in detail on another thread.
feaito

Re: The forgotten UK actress Anne Crawford

Post by feaito »

Hi Stuart, I am not very familiar with her, but if she's the actress that played the villainous Morgan Le Fay in the 1953 "Knights of the Round Table", she was one of the standouts of that particular film and she made a lasting impression on me, just like Patricia Laffan as Poppaea in "Quo Vadis?" (1951) (another MGM spectacle) and whom, as well, I have never seen in another movie again.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Yes, Anne was in Knights Of The Round Table
feaito

Post by feaito »

Stuart,

I have just realized that I also saw Anne at least in two more films: some months ago as Nicolas Phipps' fiancee in the amusing "Mad About Men" (1954) with Glynis Johns and Maggie Rutherford; she was good in that film and demonstrates that she has a flair for comedy; and last year as Stewart Granger's bride-to-be in "Caravan" (1946), a very entertaining and colorful (in B&W, no pun intended) action-adventure film (I've checked and Pat Laffan was in the cast too :wink: )

She appears as part of the cast of another film I saw and ejoyed years ago, but I do not remember much of it: Sirk's "Thunder on the Hill" (1951) (called in Chile Sor María (Sister Mary)) with Claudette Colbert and Ann Blyth.

Her physical appearance reminds me of Ann Todd.