Linda Darnell's Best Performance

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
rerun

Re: Linda Darnell's Best Performance

Post by rerun »

Rita Hayworth wrote:
princessmoon wrote:A Letter To Three Wives is my favorite.
That's my favorite too ... princessmoon! ... and in the top 5 films in Linda Darnell's Career ... and welcome to our humble forum!
Thanks so for the welcome. I am having a ball.
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

rerun, I think Linda is exceptional in that film, and I love Paul Douglas. Not to mention Thelma Ritter and Connie Gilchrist and Florence Bates, the holy trinity of supporting actresses! It's a great cast all around. I like Ann Sothern very much too. It really must have been something to be on the set there! It's such an unusual movie. What did you do on that picture? Any other stories about that film that you can share?

If you would rather chat about other stuff, I understand. I'm just very curious to hear some of your personal experiences. I don't want to make you feel awkward at all, so feel free to tell me to mind my own business, if my asking is too forward. :D

Is it true that Linda was even more beautiful in real life? I remember watching something where the lighting technician said she was the most beautiful creature to light, because she didn't have a single flaw or bad angle.
rerun

Post by rerun »

JackFavell wrote:rerun, I think Linda is exceptional in that film, and I love Paul Douglas. Not to mention Thelma Ritter and Connie Gilchrist and Florence Bates, the holy trinity of supporting actresses! It's a great cast all around. I like Ann Sothern very much too. It really must have been something to be on the set there! It's such an unusual movie. What did you do on that picture? Any other stories about that film that you can share?

If you would rather chat about other stuff, I understand. I'm just very curious to hear some of your personal experiences. I don't want to make you feel awkward at all, so feel free to tell me to mind my own business, if my asking is too forward. :D

Is it true that Linda was even more beautiful in real life? I remember watching something where the lighting technician said she was the most beautiful creature to light, because she didn't have a single flaw or bad angle.
Sure. I was visiting on that set. My cousin was a starlet there, Barbara Lawrence, who was working in and around 'that' scene that day. It had its humorous parts too. They were all sitting in the kitchen and the house was right by the railroad tracks. So when a train went by it shook the kitchen. To make the kitchen shake they had leveraged boards on springs under part of the 'room' and would bounce these boards up and down when called for to make it look like the vibration from the train. Can't explain it really but it was hysterical at the time. Linda Darnell! I tell of it in my book. The camera could never capture her beauty. I have always said she was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life. I doubled her on Dakota Incident and found myself just staring at her in disbelief. But, this beauty she had was not only physical, she was beautiful from the inside out. A truly beautiful, beautiful human being. She fell in love with my little cocker spaniel on LTTW and when I could no longer keep him (long story) I gave him to her.
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you VERY much for discussing your experiences on A Letter to Three Wives! I bet it was a hoot shaking and shimmying around with that group. It looks SO realistic in the movie, but I bet it was hard to keep a straight face watching it happen on set. :D

Your cousin Barbara Lawrence was so beautiful.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks for sharing that very funny account from one of my favorite movies, rerun! Barbara was cute as a button; I thought her brief scenes with Linda were very funny, that they behaved like real sisters do. Linda had a divine peaches-and-cream complexion that I'd die for. This movie (to me) showed her talent as an actress like no other. It's nice to hear she was as lovely on the inside...she seemed like a very sweet, unassuming human being.

I don't believe I've seen Dakota Incident but I'll look for it. I am beginning to like Dale Robertson and I see Ward Bond was in it, who's always fun to watch.

May I ask what is the title and subject of your book?

---April
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
rerun

Post by rerun »

MissGoddess wrote:Thanks for sharing that very funny account from one of my favorite movies, rerun! Barbara was cute as a button; I thought her brief scenes with Linda were very funny, that they behaved like real sisters do. Linda had a divine peaches-and-cream complexion that I'd die for. This movie (to me) showed her talent as an actress like no other. It's nice to hear she was as lovely on the inside...she seemed like a very sweet, unassuming human being.

I don't believe I've seen Dakota Incident but I'll look for it. I am beginning to like Dale Robertson and I see Ward Bond was in it, who's always fun to watch.

May I ask what is the title and subject of your book?

---April
There was a remarkable rescue in Dakota Incident re a run away four up and a stage coach. Yikes I still get chills over that one. The book is Fall Girl: My Life as a Western Stunt Double and is considered a memoir by the publishers although to me I just told some of my behind the scenes favorite tales.
on him.[/i][/color]
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

that sounds like breathtakingly scary stunt! i really do admire the stunt people---they make the stars look heroic while they take on all the danger. It takes such skill and guts. I could never do it, though I love horses. :D

And thanks, I will look for your book, I'm sure it's full of fascinating stories. Let me add my belated welcome here to our Forum.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
woody45

Post by woody45 »

Loved her in No Way Out. I saw it over a friend's house a few years back and my buddy was stunned by her looks (who wasn't ?) and how resourceful her character was. Add Unfaithfully Yours to the list as well. She held her own quite well against Rex Harrison.
Because they had it [i]like that[/i] [url]http://oldhollywood.net/[/url]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

No Way Out is a terrific movie, sometimes I forget about it,
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've always liked that movie. It packed a punch when I saw it years ago. Seeing it recently, it's lost nothing. Society has changed. It will continue to change. But there are still people who feel as the characters in the story do. But enough preaching. I like it because it's solid, intense drama!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Well said, red!