Me-TV

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
JackFavell

Re: Me-TV

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, MissG! I can't believe I missed it. I loved that show, and have been dying to see it again.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I really enjoyed the episodes I saw and if they bring it back I will try to post a heads-up here.

Do you know if the Millionaire's character was based on a real life person?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't know, they make John Beresford Tipton seem so real, it's almost like a documentary sometimes at the beginning.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:I don't know, they make John Beresford Tipton seem so real, it's almost like a documentary sometimes at the beginning.
that's what had me wondering. it does sound like a fun way to spend your millions. :D
-- Will Rogers
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

On a related note, Marvin Miller will be appearing on TCM on Sunday morning -- DEAD RECKONING, co-written by Steve Fisher, starring a Humphrey Bogart and a Lizabeth Scott. Sounds like a Sunday Morning Noir to me.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, ChiO! I've never seen that one before. Marvin Miller makes it a must see for me.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like DEAD RECKONING. I tend to shove it to the background, in favor of stronger, more memorable crime films. There are half a dozen that are SO outstanding I overlook the others. But this is an entertaining story, with a clean, crisp look about it. The pictures alone would be impressive. And (here comes my favorite concept) it's remarkably well paced. I'm impatient. If you want to tell me a story, get on with it! Don't waste time. This "Second Tier Classic" succeeds handsomely in that regard.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll give it a try, red.

Pacing is the best reason to watch classic films. I wonder if anyone really knows how to pace a movie anymore.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Don't EVEN get me started. Most of today's 2 hour movies have about 90 minutes worth of story. We really don't need to see a guy put on his coat, walk to his car, drive across town and go to his girlfriend's house. CUT TO THE STUPID HOUSE!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was just thinking about this - Buster Keaton does it way back in the 20's - shows himself getting into the car, the background dissolves, and he's at the girlfriend's house! Some directors zoom through entire weeks of time in their dissolves and editing - like the wonderful montage set to the song Would You? in Singin' in the Rain. The Dueling Cavalier has scenes added, filmed, dubbed, re-cut and turned into The Dancing Cavalier within a single minute. We are seeing it at the preview already by the end of the short song.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I don't remember Marty in Dead Reckoning---a good reason to watch it again!

And I wish movies were ONLY two hours long these days---most are longer!
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's because they are so busy filling in backstory left and right! :roll:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

April--Great Avatar! Love that Rod (Isn't that from Fate Is the Hunter with Nancy Kwan as the ichthyologist who interferes with his pastime?).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:April--Great Avatar! Love that Rod (Isn't that from Fate Is the Hunter with Nancy Kwan as the ichthyologist who interferes with his pastime?).

That's right! I've been going a little koo koo lately over animals so I thought this avatar captured my mood.
:)
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I am having Me-TV withdrawal! This new place where I'm living has "Cozi" and "Antenna" but the two together don't have half as many shows that I like as much as those on Me-TV. :(
-- Will Rogers