Elvis UK poll top 20 songs

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Elvis UK poll top 20 songs

Post by stuart.uk »

British tv company ITV along with the Presley Estate got together for a documentary which included a UK poll of Elvis Presley's 20 greatest recordings. Prisiclla was interviewed along with many of the musicians Elvis worked with in his career. As it was a UK show Cliff Richard(His fav Elvis song Heartbreak Hotel) Engelbert Humperdink, American born, but Brit based rock queen Suzy Quatro (Her fav was Now Or Never, which she felt was the first sign of the more mature Presley) and Michael Ball, who liked Viva Las Vagas. Their favs also made the list.Even musicains that worked for him were amazed Elvis was able to sing the opera sounding It's Now Or Never.

I can't remember the order the songs came, but voted first was Always On My Mind. It was suggested when Elvis sang that song he was thinking about Priscilla around the time of their marraige breaking up and she found it difficult to discuss publically her feelings about the song. It Alsos said when singing The Wonder Of You, Elvis was thinking of God rather than a girl. I was surprised that A Little Less Conversation finished so high on the list as did Return To Sender. Are You Lonesome Tonight also featured highly and also mentioned was when Elvis had a fit of the giggles when recording the same song on stage

Priscilla said it was her that brought the song American Trilogy (One of my favs) to her husband's attention. That also finished high up, but If I Can Dream was only at 19. Both songs are linked by what was said to be Presley's attempts to reunite a racially devided America in the late 60s and 70s. In fact it was said If I Can Dream was inspired by the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy. In fact his step brother said IICD was Elvis' I Have A Dream speech.

Priscilla also said that in his 1968 comeback show, his singing of his early hit Love Me Tender was sung directly at her. Early hits like Don't Be Cruel, All Shook Up,King Creole and Jailhouse Rock also featured as did modern songs Suspicious Minds and In The Ghetto