*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
CHARLES HERBERT is 65 today
Unable to transition into adult roles, his personal life went downhill as well. With no formal education or training to do anything else and with no career earnings saved, he led a reckless, wanderlust life and turned to drugs. Never married, it took him nearly 40 years (clean and sober since October, 2005) to turn his life around. During good times and bad, however, he has appeared from time to time at sci-fi film festivals.

ELIZABETH HARTMAN (1943 - 1987)

BARBARA RUICK (1932 - 1974)

FREDI WASHINGTON (1903 - 1994)

ERIC BLORE (1887 - 1959)
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Gorgeous picture of Fredi Washington; she should have been 'leading lady' material, if you ask me....

And if Eric Blore was your butler, waking you up with that smile - you couldn't help but have a great day!!

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

mongoII wrote:HAPPY BIRTHDAY
PEGGIE CASTLE (1927 - 1973)
Joe, your mention of Peggie Castle's birthday yesterday reminded me that there was a very well written and thoroughly researched account by Jake Hinkson of the actress' life and career in The Film Noir Foundation's magazine earlier this year. I thought you and others might be interested too:
http://www.filmnoirfoundation.org/noirc ... o-Kill.pdf
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I read an interview with Charles Herbert not too long ago. He still comes across as quite bitter about his Hollywood experience.

Super shot of the one-time Toluca Lake neighbors, Bob & Bill.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

moirafinnie wrote:Here's a festive picture being placed her with the permission of Mongo and at the request of our former guest author and member, Martha Crawford Cantarini, who posts here as "rerun."
Left to right: Charlie Farrell, Rena Borzage, oil tycoon Russell Havenstrite, My mother Sharon Crawford, Harry the bartender, Walt Disney, Mrs. Disney and Frank Borzage. This moment was captured just after the polo game at the Uplifters Country Club in Santa Monica Canyon in 1939.
Martha, this is a terrific photo. Your mother is stunning, and I wonder if Walt Disney is drinking a Shirley Temple. Thank you for sharing it.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thrice the lovely Priscilla Lane
Joseph Goodheart
rerun

Post by rerun »

mongoII wrote:
moirafinnie wrote:Here's a festive picture being placed her with the permission of Mongo and at the request of our former guest author and member, Martha Crawford Cantarini, who posts here as "rerun."
Left to right: Charlie Farrell, Rena Borzage, oil tycoon Russell Havenstrite, My mother Sharon Crawford, Harry the bartender, Walt Disney, Mrs. Disney and Frank Borzage. This moment was captured just after the polo game at the Uplifters Country Club in Santa Monica Canyon in 1939.
Martha, this is a terrific photo. Your mother is stunning, and I wonder if Walt Disney is drinking a Shirley Temple. Thank you for sharing it.
Thanks so Joe. I have always thought you could feel the electricity in this photo with all the talent represented there.
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Fredi Washington --- wow!

Rerun, love that pic. As usual I blunder along here in ignorance and have to ask what connection your mom had with those people. :) I think it's fascinating how a number of you have personal knowledge or even acquaintance with some old Hollywood stars. Anecdotes are always more interesting when they're firsthand.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Rudolph Maté directs Robert Mitchum and Linda Darnell in "Second Chance"
Joseph Goodheart
rerun

Post by rerun »

Lomm wrote:Fredi Washington --- wow!

Rerun, love that pic. As usual I blunder along here in ignorance and have to ask what connection your mom had with those people. :) I think it's fascinating how a number of you have personal knowledge or even acquaintance with some old Hollywood stars. Anecdotes are always more interesting when they're firsthand.
Ha! Good question. This was a polo club. Frank Borzage, Walt Disney and the oil man were all active polo players. My father was a professional polo player and the playing manager of that club.
Thus my mother was perhaps an informal hostess but mainly an Official Timer for the United States Polo Association. I don't remember if Charlie Farrell actually played per se or not but he surely was a great supporter. And, the polo colony was very active
at Farrell's Racquet Club in Palm Springs. With these lower goal players all there in the bar so soon after the game, I am assuming they did not play that day. It must have been a special tournament day and perhaps that is why there was a photographer from the LA Times there also.

I love looking at the memories. Thanks for asking.
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

MONGO - Did you know this is mother and daughter?

ImageImage
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Yes, CineMaven, I was aware that character actress Lurene Tuttle was the mom of Barbara Ruick (who past away much too young) and who was married to Oscar winning musician John Williams.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
AVA GARDNER (1922 - 1990)

MICKEY KNOX (1921 - 2013)

RUTH CHATTERTON (1892 - 1961)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Gene Tierney with some last minute presents
Joseph Goodheart
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I loved that photo of Gene Tierney here ... and that fabulous photo of Ava Gardner too ... that's one of my favorite gown(s) on her ...

Here's a couple of picture of Ava Gardner and Gene Tierney that I have in my other collections of stars ...
Attachments
Ava Gardner Blaze.jpg
Ava Gardner Blaze.jpg (68.6 KiB) Viewed 6587 times
GTierney (13).jpg
GTierney (13).jpg (59.78 KiB) Viewed 6584 times