*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Western Guy

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by Western Guy »

Joe, bless you for posting that wonderful shot of my dear friend, Mickey Knox. Mickey was simply a great guy and a great friend. Missed out the opportunity to visit him in California about ten years ago (as I also did with another pal, Marc Lawrence -- which I regret to this day), but Mickey and I spoke often on the phone and I cherish those conversations. He got a kick when I told him that he'd first made an impact on me as a ten year-old kid watching him as Larry Tunafish in "City Across the River". Even as a lad I thought he was the coolest of that New York gang of street punks, which, of course included Anthony Curtis, Richard Jaeckel and Joshua Shelley.

And to you, Joe, and all my other wonderful SSO friends: A very Happy Holiday Season and most especially Health and Happiness for 2014!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Stone, I remember The Amboy Dukes very well (love the movie). I lived in the Williamsburg area at one time where the movie took place. You were friends with two of the best 'hoodlums' in motion pictures. How lucky you were.
And Happy Holidays to you and yours, and thanks for sharing your recollections.

Eric, thanks for the lovely shots of those two actresses.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

BORN ON CHRISTMAS DAY
JOHN ASHLEY (1934 - 1997)

TONY MARTIN (1913 - 3012) 100 years old

MIKE MAZURKI (1907 - 1990)

BARTON MacLANE (1902 - 1969)

HUMPHREY BOGART (1899 - 1957)
Last edited by mongoII on December 25th, 2013, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Merry Christmas Joe,

Thanks for the magnificent coloured picture of Tony Martin, a universally liked & loved entertainer and one of the finest singers in the world....

And, to know that he will be with us for another 999 years is awe inspiring!!!!

I love your goofs and it's just made my day....
You can now smack me twice!!!

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thanks, Larry. I did have a Merry Christmas with my family. I hope to hear the same from you.
Instead of a slap I might consider beating you with a wet noodle (we'll see).
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
RICHARD WIDMARK (1914 - 2008)

ELISHA COOK JR. (1903 - 1995)
Joseph Goodheart
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

rerun wrote:
Lomm wrote:Fredi Washington --- wow!

Rerun, love that pic. As usual I blunder along here in ignorance and have to ask what connection your mom had with those people. :) I think it's fascinating how a number of you have personal knowledge or even acquaintance with some old Hollywood stars. Anecdotes are always more interesting when they're firsthand.
Ha! Good question. This was a polo club. Frank Borzage, Walt Disney and the oil man were all active polo players. My father was a professional polo player and the playing manager of that club.
Thus my mother was perhaps an informal hostess but mainly an Official Timer for the United States Polo Association. I don't remember if Charlie Farrell actually played per se or not but he surely was a great supporter. And, the polo colony was very active
at Farrell's Racquet Club in Palm Springs. With these lower goal players all there in the bar so soon after the game, I am assuming they did not play that day. It must have been a special tournament day and perhaps that is why there was a photographer from the LA Times there also.

I love looking at the memories. Thanks for asking.
Thanks, rerun. :)
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

A baby faced birthday boy Elisha Cook Jr. with Frances Underwood in
"Her Unborn Child" (1930)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Joanne Woodward gloats about her Best Actress Oscar,
while Paul Newman eyes his "NOscar"
Joseph Goodheart
rerun

Post by rerun »

Thanks so for the nice picture of Richard Widmark. I have met many, many people throughout my
career and life per se but surely Dick was one of the nicest, classiest, kindest people I have ever had
the pleasure of knowing. His wife Jean and their daughter Anne were lovely lovely people.
What a family!
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Marge, from the wicked roles Richard Widmark played, you'd never know he was such a sweet guy in real life, although actress Catherine McLeod didn't like him at all.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

The cast of "While the City Sleeps": Ida Lupino, Sally Forrest, Dana Andrews & Rhonda Fleming
Joseph Goodheart
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Love that picture of the young Elisha Cook. And the cast of While the City Sleeps.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I like the picture of Elisha Cook, Jr. too. Who would have thought this young man would grow up to manage a building that was a hotbed of satanism and witchcraft. ["I'm authorized to show the apartment."] And another "unborn child." :lol: