ASK ALEXA!

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: ASK ALEXA!

Post by JackFavell »

That's true too, yes! About class. I see a great deal of comparison between Rod and Sean now that I think about it. I do love those guys who can play anything, any type from working man to high born landowner.

And I never thought about the chin clefts. :D
Mrs. Osborne

Post by Mrs. Osborne »

Dear Moira (and everyone)

That interview actually was conducted for TNT if I remember correctly. It may have been done as part of Our Favorite Movies or as part of the MGM archive.

TCM inherited the project from Warner Home Video and their special projects such as Meet Me In St. Louis and Dr. Zhivago.

More later.
Mrs. O.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Alexa!

I wish TCM could broadcast (in full) all of those delightful interviews, be they TNT's or their early Private Screenings. I haven't seen most of them beyond the clips shown between films.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I think everybody knows that I'm a Rod Taylor fan, too! Loved all the posters and the interview. I hope we can see more of the Private Screenings during the 20th anniversary celebrations. Thanks, Mrs. Osborne! :D
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Two films of Rod's that spring to mind - one of his early Hollywood appearances as a tough guy in Alan Ladd's HELL ON FRISCO BAY. Even then you could see his personality and acting ability as he tried to give his few scenes some depth.
And in one of my favorite westerns ,THE TRAIN ROBBERS, he and Ben Johnson made a great team of old timers not sure what the future would bring them,but willing to follow John Wayne on one last adventure.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, the Private Screenings was WONDERFUL! Those clips of R.O. were fantastic, and the editing, once again was fabulous... the right clip for the right part of the interview. Your editors are the best. Well, let me rephrase that, you are ALL the best. :D

I was wondering if you have met Diane Baker? I really like her very much, she seems quite warm and right to the point.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Alexa lunches today with Robert Osborne in the TCM studio commissary in Atlanta...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Mrs. Osborne

Post by Mrs. Osborne »

David and Jack

I asked Mr O about the Private Screenings bit with Mariette Hartley and the movie that "made his teeth hurt" and he said he would check the end of the tape of the full review and let us know.

Yes I know Diane Baker - one of Robert's oldest friends - we interviewed her for the archival project. Just lovely and great voice and HAIR!!

thanks,
Alexa
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi, Mrs. O.
Loved the interview with R.O. The only time I've ever heard him say anything less than positive about someone was his comment about Robert Mitchum, and he tempered that with acknowledging how ill Mitchum was. He really is a gentleman, isn't he?
Have you had any luck at all with finding the lady in blue from Meet Me in St. Louis? I wrote Margaret O'Brien years ago, no answer. Would Liza Minnelli have any idea? She did not seem too well in her clips for the R.O. interview. Thanks for stopping by here!!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just love Diane Baker so much, she's kind of a new discovery for me, since watching Marnie and The Best of Everything. I really enjoyed her comments so much in the R.O. interview.

I am also curious about Dean Stockwell. I imagine TCM has tried to get him for interviews, but perhaps he's difficult to get. I'd LOVE to see him do a private screening, or a night of his favorite movies, or even a day of his movies presented. I guess he's pretty busy still, but it would be great to hear from him. He's quite an actor, and he also worked with everybody from Joel McCrea to Orson Welles to Ralph Richardson. And all those in between.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Dean Stockwell would be wonderful.

Still praying for Richard Bakalyan co-hosting a night of JD movies.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Stockwell has had such a great long career, so much to talk about! And he worked with Jacques Tourneur.

I remember an interview I read where they asked him what his 'process' was for acting. He said he did the same thing now that he did when he was a kid, he just did what was required, no fuss, no method, just got into it.

I love the idea of JD movies as a theme! I haven't seen very many of them, but TCM's night of Mamie Van Doren films really stands high up in my memory, almost ranked with the Marie Dressler SUTS day, which was so very popular a few years ago.
Mrs. Osborne

Post by Mrs. Osborne »

Dear Erik,

Thanks So much for your previous compliment, but you would be bored with me after 15 minutes, believe it or not...

Ok David I think you asked about which movie Mr. O was talking about with Mariette Hartley that "made his teeth hurt."
I have the answer now and the movie was LESS THAN ZERO (1987).

And Yes, we did interview Dean Stockwell who has come to terms with his life as a child actor. His brother was Guy Stockwell.

Thanks all!! Working on the Film Festival articles ....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks so much Alexa, I know you are busy. I'm so glad to hear that Stockwell has been interviewed, and that maybe we might see some of those clips on TCM.